Afghan stitch and cross stitch

Knabber

My latest project is cross stitching on the afghan stitch. I found a pattern for an Aidia fabric afghan and am trying it on the afghan that I made in the afghan stitch. My dilemma is finding yarns in the correct colors. I was wondering if anyone here has done this and how they managed to get colors that correspond to DMC thread. I am having a great time with this and have collected numerous heirloom patterns to cross stitch, after I finish my current 'neverending afghan'! Has anyone used embroidery floss on their afghans? I had thought about doubling up the floss and seeing if it covers enough of the yarn to look decent, or if the difference in textures would look odd.:think

• 5 months later...

I used the Tunisian simple stitch to make a pair of potholders and then I cross stitched a pineapple on each using the same kind of yarn. These potholders are well over 35 years old. Obviously at the time I did not know you cannot use yarn, but should use cotton for potholders. The potholders were given to my mom. I recently found them. No wonder they're still in good shape...they couldn't be used.

• 5 months later...

My latest project is cross stitching on the afghan stitch. I found a pattern for an Aidia fabric afghan and am trying it on the afghan that I made in the afghan stitch. My dilemma is finding yarns in the correct colors. I was wondering if anyone here has done this and how they managed to get colors that correspond to DMC thread. I am having a great time with this and have collected numerous heirloom patterns to cross stitch, after I finish my current 'neverending afghan'! Has anyone used embroidery floss on their afghans? I had thought about doubling up the floss and seeing if it covers enough of the yarn to look decent, or if the difference in textures would look odd. :think

I have purchased from this site.  She must have packed it up and shipped it 10 minutes after I ordered.

http://creativeyarnsource.com/

She has tons of colors in different types (all cotton, nylon, wool etc). 

Have you looked at cross-stitch sites at all?  They would likely know about where to get many colors to match what you're working with.  This is a store I've used (not online) because she had every DMC shade in perle 5.  I was looking for special shades.  I've also used perle 5 to make motifs for an afghan. 

I have purchased from this site.  She must have packed it up and shipped it 10 minutes after I ordered.

http://creativeyarnsource.com/

She has tons of colors in different types (all cotton, nylon, wool etc).

Thanks for this link, wow, lots of new things to try!

Archived