filet not square

Koala-girl

I have done a couple of small filet projects, and they turned out OK except that I noticed on one project which should have been square according to the pattern, that it was definitely wider than it was high, if you see what I mean. It seems my stitches are too short. Does anyone else have this problem. :think What do I do?

that's actually not un-common. what you can do is one of two things, that I know of. (presuming that your filet is "4-dc for a closed square). One is to pull up a bit more on the loop that comes through the previous row, to make your dc stitches taller. The other is to work what is called an extended dc. Basically you start a dc, but when you go to "YO, Pull through two loops" step, you first YO and pull through only 1 loop, and then go back to the YO pull through two loops...It's not quite as tall as a tr, but taller than a dc, and should make your filet more square. And of course, there's always blocking. :U

HTH

I'm sure some people have square filet, but in my experience, most people don't, so you're certainly not alone! :hug

My filet's never been square, and that's fine. :) It's close enough that I can block it. Blocking makes a world of difference.

The other thing you can do is work the piece sideways so it's slightly taller than wide. Sometimes that helps, just depends on the piece.

The patterns, of course, always look perfectly square. :blink When I graph things myself (in Excel), I make my cells slightly flatter, so the results will look exactly like the patttern.

Like the others that recommend the edc I have to throw in my endorsement of the stitch.

I get square blocks by using an extended double crochet.

It's an invaluable stitch for those of us that have a short dc st. I love doing filet work now. Where I was always discouraged with the results before I discovered it.

When I write up a pattern for filet I always use it as my primary st these days.

I just finished a square from a pattern in Crochet Mag 1997, called Filet Lily Set (a runner, a doily and a pillow topper).. It uses a 3dc block instead of the usual 4, and I am pleased to say it is square (the pillow top). I makes me want to try some of the other patterns I have using 3dc instead of 4, just to see how it will look.

Archived