Sneaking yarn in the home

Do you hide just bought yarn?  

213 members have voted

1. 1. Do you hide just bought yarn?

• Yes, I hide yarn getting it into the home
    • Yes, I hide yarn after it is in the home
    • Yes, I hide other needle craft items
    • I pretend that new yarn is not new
    • I camouflage yarn as in pillow shams..
    • I hide yarn outside of the home as in the car or garage
    • No, I do not hide yarn

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I don't hide any purchases. well, only gifts that need to be hidden so they will be a surprise.

I don't have to hide anything or justify it in any way, even though I have no income of my own my Beloved is happy for me to spend what I want on what I want so long as the bills are paid first. He's the best

Why would anyone hide yarn?

All of the above.

I'm a grown up and can buy what I want within reason without having to hide or justify.

lol no need to hide yarn.. my hubby never pays attention to me when I bring in loads of shopping bags.. I just throw in yarn purchase when I purchase food lol.. he never notices

Not yarn. Other stuff, like clothes, or shoes... Maybe. :P Chocolate, yes. Because I don't want anyone else to eat it. Hee Hee..

My husband is really supportive of my yarn addiction, too. :devil

This is me too!!!! :waving I sneak in shoes, clothes, makeup. I dont know why??? :lol

:hook I buy yarn all the time so I have to hide :devil it now because my family get on me because I have bins of yarn all over the house, in the garage and bags full in closets an under my bed. I go crazy for yarn sales:cheer

• 3 weeks later...

I am just waiting to see one of those hoarders shows where the person hoards yarn! I can just see it too... Yarn just stacked up all over the place!! Oh to be there to help her sort it all out. I'd be like.. You do know you really really need to have a yard sale to get rid of most of this yarn... he he he... :devil

• 4 weeks later...

We're on a bit of a budget too. Since this is a new thing, he does get on me and complain when I say I have to go get more. (I'm thinking I should not tell him when I have to go get more because I ran out)

However I just explain to him that by making all my Christmas presents this way, we are saving a crap ton of money because I only buy yarn when its on sale.

The best was my first couple of projects for some baby showers. He was griping about me spending money and I said, "Look, if I went to Target and actually bought baby stuff I would be spending about $40 bucks. I'm only spending like $8 on this blanket." His response was, "Oh, ok I guess". :)

I don't hide my yarns as most of mine come either from garage sales or are given to me when someone local is gettting rid of a stash they give me a call and I am all too happy to take it off their hands...my hubby only has one request and that is that I give him a life jacket so he won't drown in it...LOL:hook

hmmm how do I answer this question. Yes and No. I don't intentionally hid it, as he is with me most of the time. when it is purchased. He is also supportive of the hobby. He does occasionally mention that the yarn is taking over,:devil In fact he said that last night (while standing next to the living room stash).

I don't hid it, he sees the stash but, it's not all together so, I don't think he realizes just how much of it there is. And since it has grown a bit, I don't tell him about the ones I buy online or when he isn't with me, lol.

When I would have to go get another skein of a specific yarn, I usually underestimate how much I need for a project, he used say things like "all that yarn you have, you need more?? Now he understands that bernat black is not the same as ss black, lol.

I don't hide my yarns as most of mine come either from garage sales or are given to me when someone local is gettting rid of a stash they give me a call and I am all too happy to take it off their hands...my hubby only has one request and that is that I give him a life jacket so he won't drown in it...LOL:hook

Wow.... you get yarn given to you?? :drool Wish I had friends like that!!!

Wow.... you get yarn given to you?? :drool Wish I had friends like that!!!

My friends and neighbors are exceptional and they know that most of that yarn goes to charity works...I do Premie Blankets for the local NICU and they only take a small amount of yarn as they are tiny so everyone passes on their leftovers to have a NICU Blanket made...and each one gets a label with the name of the yarn donater pinned to it that says this Blanket donated in honor of . and that way I get to honor them for the donations and help the babies keep warm too...:manyheart

and my friends all give me yarn gifts for Christmas and Birthdays and other occasions because they know they are going to get it back again as a finished prouct...LOL..:hook

Nope, I live alone! I'm soon to be moving in with a roommate and she knows of my crochet life, so I won't have to hide it around her either. In fact, we've decided that my yarn and crochet stuff can be openly stored in our new apartment :)

At one point my DH had 3 farm tractors, and we don't even live on a farm So no, I don't need to hide yarn. Tractor parts are a lot more expensive than a skein of yarn. He is good about my collection, even looks for it in yard sales and flea markets for me. Charlene

• 2 weeks later...
I used to hide all kinds of purchases from my ex. I don't have to do that with my husband now.

Hence.. why he is the ex I am sure! :hook

• 3 weeks later...

I don't have to hide yarn. Sometimes my husband will give me a bit of a Look if I bring home new stuff (that only started once he found out exactly how long my WIP list IS!), but in general I don't buy yarn unless I have a specific project in mind for it, so that helps.

That being a conscious decision I made when I got into yarnwork, since I knew that otherwise I'd end up spending way too much money on stuff I'd never use! Every now and then if I'm at an LYS and see something I really love, I *may* cave in and let myself get something (especially if I have a gift certificate to use), but for the most part I hold myself pretty rigidly to the "no project in mind? don't buy it!" rule.

Edited because I read more posts: Wow! I never thought of looking for yarn at yard sales or flea markets. It's not something that shows up a lot at the ones around us, not to mention pretty much everyone around here starts their yard sales before I wake up and finishes around lunchtime. Interesting.

Charlene, your post made me grin. "Tractor parts are a lot more expensive than a skein of yarn." Heck yeah! Though my little boy would probably much prefer that I started buying tractors instead of yarn....

Nope don't need to sneak or hide yarn. My bf is awesome! He totally supports me. He even built another garage and let me have the garage attatched to the house for a craft room. I just laid vinyl flooring about a week or so ago. He took the garage door out and put a regular door and windows in for me. And now we are planning out the storage cabnets. I can't wait till its finished. Its 12 ft x 18 ft. Its gonna take a while as we only have time every other weekend to work on it. So no I don't need to hide yarn!

Nope don't need to sneak or hide yarn. My bf is awesome! He totally supports me. He even built another garage and let me have the garage attatched to the house for a craft room. I just laid vinyl flooring about a week or so ago. He took the garage door out and put a regular door and windows in for me. And now we are planning out the storage cabnets. I can't wait till its finished. Its 12 ft x 18 ft. Its gonna take a while as we only have time every other weekend to work on it. So no I don't need to hide yarn!

:drool:drool:drool:drool Your own craft room??? I have one set of shelves and the space under the bed... :(

• 3 weeks later...

Oh my, this thread made me laugh out loud!!!

When I buy yarn that will help me with a current project I really don't hide it from my husband. But you know, sometimes you just need one ball of white cotton and you come home with a bag full of Merino DK that was on sale for only €2 a ball and the colours looked so nice together and... well, you know how it goes right? ;-) Then I tend to place the bag in the spare room and organise the yarn with the other yarn. Oh my, I have a lot of yarn. How horrible.

Archived