goodtaste

This is a very easy frog closure I came up while tinkering with a rope. It is a wonderful way to close a bag or tote, although you could use it for a jacket too! FREE tutorial at the Embellish Crochet Academy.

You will find the lesson here:

http://craftypursenalityshoppe.blogspot.com/2012/03/dragonfly-frog.html

Enjoy!

Clotilde

post-930-135897745154_thumb.jpg

Thank you all very much for your encouraging words. I love frog closures too, they can "fancy up" just about anything and they look so lovely in purses and bags!

Law, the rope or cord is very easy to make once you get the hang of it. You work as follows: Ch 2. Work 1 sc in second ch from hook normally. From then on, you will forget the loops on top of your crochet. Look on the side of the stitch you made, you will discover a small loop there, insert your hook into that loop and pull up your yarn, finish the sc as usual. Turn, now you will see two loops have formed, insert your hook through BOTH of those loops and pull up your yarn, finish your sc as you normally do. Once you have worked on a few rows, you will see the rope or cord forming.

Hope this helps!

Clotilde

Hi Law, once you make the rope, the very photos guide you into making the twists for the dragonfly, it is the simplest of all the frogs I have made. The rope is the key. And to be able to make the rope, you have to forget about the usual loops where we insert the hook in fo make sc, you work only on the side. There are small loops that form naturally on the side which we usually ignore, it is in those that you insert the hook. The rope is made like that so that it will be pliable and can easily be twisted into any shape you want.

Don't get discouraged, once you make the rope, the rest is simple. You fold the rope in two, matching the ends, twist the top to make the buttonhole, and bring one end over itself to make the loop that forms one of the wings of the dragonfly and repeat the same with the other side, then you pin them down in place and twist the rest of hte rope you have left, to form the body of the dragonfly. You pin so that it won't move and sew in place. You can practice with a piece of ribbon until you can get the hang of it, once you do, you can make one with your eyes closed!

I will try making the rope again. Sometimes when I can't seem to get something I need to wait a while before I try it again. Eventually (usually) I get it. Thanks for your help.

You're very welcome, Law. It was hard for me to learn it until I got the point that I should not be focusing on the loops on top but on the side of the sc. Once I began to do that, the rope was quite easy, and it will be for you too.

Archived