What to do with things I make?

I used to crochet A LOT and made tons of things for people I knew and different charities. Life got in the way and i stopped crocheting.

Now things are slowing down and I'm feeling like I want to start crocheting again. I see so many beautiful things on etsy and pinterest!

My only thing is that while they are so pretty, fun, and whimsical, they aren't all that practical or something many people would wear.

I'd hate to work so hard on something that sits in a room.

Any ideas of what can be done with the more whimsical or * high fashion things I make??

And i feel guilty if I not doing something to help others with it, like it's selfish to crochet things for the pleasure of pretty!

I don't think it is selfish to crochet for oneself, at all. I like to make garments that i know will fit me. But i am not very high fashion:lol

I mostly only make things for myself as i know my own taste and what i will actually use. For whimsical stuff, gifts for kids are good and if you have run out of young relatives to make for, those would be good charitable donations.

Or just make crochet art and hang it on the wall, if you have space and like that kind of thing.

Nah, it is not selfish to crochet something for yourself. I have a few things I have done and they were for me, both home decor and fashion.

Do you have any consignment or higher end beauty shops around that may be interested in fun and whimsical items. It may be worth to ask around, you never know what people may be interested in.

Have fun and good luck.

LI Roe

It's not selfish to crochet for fun. Believe me there are far more expensive and destructive hobbies than crochet.:lol:lol

As many have suggested there is nothing wrong with making things for yourself. If you start having extras you can look for places that want your stuff to donate or perhaps selling it to support your hobby. Not everyone is looking for practical donations. Some are looking for toys or items they can sell to raise money for their cause.

Thanks! You guys have me thinking :)

I've just moved so I don't know a lot of places. I'd have to look around but I'm in a very large area so it's definitely possible

You know as I think about it, some of that hats I'd like to make would probably be loved by woman with cancer at the local hospitals (I know chemo caps has guidelines)

I'd to find a pattern for hats like these:

http://www.etsy.com/search/handmade?search_submit=&q=mojospastyle&view_type=gallery&ship_to=US

Those are called slouch hats, google search for a free pattern, they are out there!! Cancer patients need those hats, as long as you do them in a really soft yarn. Acrylic and wool are itchy..good luck!!

Roxiegirl, there is a pattern for a "Slouchy Beanie" found on Crochet Pattern Central. The designer of the pattern is Crochetville's CrochetSpot/Rachel. When I was going through my chemo I made of these beanies for me. I liked it because I could wear it with the back of the beanie draped across my neck. It seemed after I lost my hair my neck became very sensitive to cold as well as my bald head. I also had a couple of tight fitting beanies that I wore constantly. All of these I made using Caron's Simply Soft yarn which is an acrylic yarn. I liked it because it did not lay heavy on my scalp. When you are losing your hair your scalp becomes very tender and aches almost constantly so you don't want to wear something that lays heavy on your head. Also Caron's Simply Soft is just that - very soft to the touch. It felt good on a bald head. Hope this helps you. I also don't think its selfish to crochet things just for yourself.

Roxiegirl-

Check with local Cancer Centers, oncologists offices and hospitals to see what their guidelines are on chemo-caps. They are your best bet for info to give caps to.

Some hospitals' newborn nurseries use baby caps too, especially for the low income moms that do not have much for their babies. :)

Thanks everyone, you're a big help!!

Tnkycrochetnut- thanks for your thoughts, very helpful. I've loved using Caron simply soft. It's a great yarn and very affordable. Plus you get a good amount of yarn

And knowing about your cold neck is helpful because I'm also really interested in the cowl patterns from tickledpinkknits:http://www.etsy.com/shop/AtelierTPK

Having long hair your dont think of bald woman's neck being cold

First you need to know that you are worth the time and effort to make pretty things for.

Before you know it - 10 years will go by and you won't even have ever made an afghan for yourself. It's not only ok to make things for yourself that you'll love and treasure - it's good for you too.

What a coincidence...Dot Mathews just posted her Bobble Beauty Hat on "Published Patterns" and it is very similar to the hats you linked to on Etsy. You can always add a flower if you like.

Don't feel guilty about making stuff for yourself. I made stuff for people for years. I decided to spend some years making things for myself and immediate family so that they can enjoy what I make while they are still here. :eek

I get it though. I just finished making my last baby items. I'm gathering all the booklets, patterns and stuff I have for making stuff for babies and selling/trading it all. I don't think it's selfish at all. It's my time.

Archived