Does any one here know if ALLOY crochet hooks are like a Boye or Susan Bates?

moomooo

Hi ladies:

I just purchased some sets of ALLOY crochet hooks on Ebay so i can keep playing with my polymer clay and well I was wondering if they are comparable with Boye hooks or Susan Bates hooks? Does Any one Know.....?????

Say by the way I also ordered a couple of sets of Susan Bates hooks to also play with polymer clay so be on the look out for them give a ways..

I'm having way toooooo much fun.

hugs

Lillibet

We do a fair amount of business with Sullivan's USA, so someplace I have samples of those from when Mark was considering bringing them in for US Distribution several years ago.

The larger Sullivan's metal hooks are the tapered but not really pointy (like the Chinese stuff) - I don't remember what the thread sizes were like.

Sullivan's USA has the crochet cotton, but does not bring in the hooks and needles because they are more expensive than what is already easily available in the US.

Admittedly as a retailer, I am curious why you choose that brand? (actually as a human I am always curious why folks develop a preference for one brand or another)

Enjoy The Making

Wheat

The definition of alloy is a mixture of metals: a substance that is a mixture of two or more metals, or of a metal with a nonmetallic material. The Bates silvalume or Quiksilver hooks are alloys. So Sullivan isn't the only one that makes alloy hooks. Most of the metal hooks could be called alloy (not sure if the steel ones are alloy also).

As Rose said if Sullivan is the brand you bought, going by the pics on their website http://www.sullivans.net/searchnav.asp?subgroupID=317, the metal hooks do not seem to have as deep and straight a cut into the heads as the Bates do. I would say they are more of a Boye style.

HI Ladies:

Thank you for your in put..

Here is the link to the hooks I ordered

http://www.ebay.com/itm/220914434734?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

Maybe some one can tell me if these look more like Boye or susan bates..

I guess I will have to try them out when they arrive...

hugs

Lillibet

Thank You ladies:

Now i know i got enough Boye Hooks to pass around in the give aways..

I hate when not every one can win in the give aways...

hugs

Lillibet

Those are Boye styled hooks. It seems like a good price. With shipping it is under $9.00 for a set of 14 hooks. I prefer Bates, but I do have some Boyes also. Some yarns seem to work better with different hooks.

Archived