I am excited and feeling a bit guilty

My mother's best friend asked me to make an afghan for her nephew's upcoming wedding. we sat down together and discussed patterns...to my surprise she wanted a custom filet afghan. So i guesstimated yarn cost at $24 and she said that she would pay me for my time and how much would i charge her for that...i had no clue so i asked my sister into the discussion and told her that i needed to have an idea what to charge for my time for a custom madew filet afghan...she said $30-$40...my mom's friend said that we were ridiculous and that she would pay me $100 and buy the yarn:eek I was stunned and literally in tears. I designed the afghan Sunday night with the bride and grooms names and wedding date toasting glasses and two hearts. very simple i think but my daughter loves it. The afghan is going to be queen sized. I am so thrilled but feeling guilty...i would have done it for nothing...my mom said shut up that my work was well worth it. I guess i am just hoping i live up to the "hype" and that the afghan is worth $100.

Don't feel guilty! I know I do this too, but I think we crocheters often undervalue our work. How many hours is this going to take to make? Divide that into the $100 and you get your hourly rate. I bet it shocks you! I know that we make thing for the enjoyment we get from our craft, but I bet you wouldn't do any other job for what you are going to be making an hour when making this afghan!

So, sit back...enjoy making the afghan....and dream of all the yarn, patterns, etc. you will buy with your $100!

I too would feel guilty, but don't. Felt the same way when I was asked to make six baby afghans. I was afraid to charge too much too.

I can't wait to see the afghan when you are done it!!!!!

No shame, a Queen sized ghan is going to take a lot of time and yarn. I just hope you didn't underestimate the cost of the yarn. Is she going shopping with you or are you buying it and giving her the receipt? Yarn prices have gone up, and I usually spend what you quoted on just a lapghan...

No shame, a Queen sized ghan is going to take a lot of time and yarn. I just hope you didn't underestimate the cost of the yarn. Is she going shopping with you or are you buying it and giving her the receipt? Yarn prices have gone up, and I usually spend what you quoted on just a lapghan...

I am using RH SS this is at her request she wants a sturdy yarn that holds up to cats well as the couple has cats. RHSS costs at most $3.99/skein locally and as little as $2.50 and the filet estimated 5 sk plus a little bit so i figured 6-7 skeins.

Congrats! Don't feel guilty, I agree w/ everyone else. Though I would probably feel guilty too. When I make something (whether it be sewing or yarn crafting or whatever) I try to keep prices low so it's affordable. I was just thinking about it yesterday, that I probably don't pay myself for my time, but then I thought, it's because it's something I love to do, so I don't feel like I'm working.

I am using RH SS this is at her request she wants a sturdy yarn that holds up to cats well as the couple has cats. RHSS costs at most $3.99/skein locally and as little as $2.50 and the filet estimated 5 sk plus a little bit so i figured 6-7 skeins.

Well if you are comfortable with that, then you should be fine. Not that I should talk, I giveaway and sold stuff for a lot less, :lol. I would love to see the finished product, as it sounds great....

the check for the yarn came today. I hit Wally world and managed to get all of the yarn i need with a cushion of about 3 ounces for $20.50 so now to print my graph and get started. deep breath and dive right in. As soon as it is finished i will post pictures in show and tell.

When I do custom work I figure my fee considering 3 things. 1. the design

2. size and amount of yarn. They bring the yarn and if they bring a pattern

I charge 3 times the cost of the yarn. 3. If a am designing from an idea or

picture they bring and I have to create a pattern the fee goes up.

Have fun with your custom order. Remember that your times and skills

are worth a great deal.

:clapCongratulations Chrissyf on your order! I know the bride and groom will cherish it for years to come.:c9

I have to plead guilty to under-charging for custom orders. I am constantly fighting with the guilt of maybe charging too much. To say that I am NO good at pricing would be an understatement. :think I love reading the different formulas on how to come up with a price. Any tips in this area are greatly needed!

I can understand the guilt feeling. I have a friend on disability ask me to make an afghan sized for a toddler. She wanted to know how much I'd charge. I told her to just send me the yarn she wanted used and postage to mail it. She did that and sent extra money too. Makes me feel a bit guilty because she's more like family than a friend. I'm sure that you will do a great job with yours. If you have extra yarn maybe you can make the lady a pair of slippers or something out of it.

If you created the pattern on your own and made it yourself, then you have no reason to feel guilty. I'd feel bad if someone paid me that much for a pattern I totally copied from someone else. That's why I have a "just buy the yarn" policy if someone wants something.

You should be thrilled that someone believes what you make is that valuable!! Good job!

I think you might have underestimated how much yarn you might need. I have made some large afghans that took about 3 pounds. To fit a queen size bed as a coverlet I think I probably would have used closer to 10 pounds. In fillet perhaps you might use a good 7-8 pounds of yarn. I just finished a 'ghan approx. 40" X 50" and I used nearly 2 pounds.

Archived