jiminic2

Crochet too loose?

Question

I wanted to crochet beanies for charity, but this one charity said that they preferred knitted beanies because they're warmer than crocheted beanies. How can I crochet a beanie that doesn't show or have holes or spaces between stitches? (My double crochet beanie is too "holey".

Thanks.

11 answers to this question

You could try a small hook and single crochet. If these are for a chemo hat most

patients prefer knit hat since they hug the head and don't let the scalp show or

be exposed to cold. Again if for chemo hats be sure the yarn is very soft and

washable.

A knitted beanie shouldn't be hard to do. You could learn to knit , if you would like to do it.

Use single or half double crochet and a smaller hook. Be carefull with going down a hook size though - even soft yarns can stiffen up using a smaller hook and then the hats won't be soft.

You can also work a blo sc st that'll be soft and stretchy.

As far as a dc hat not being as warm as a knitted one - I don't think the person that said it has actually worn one. They're really very warm.

another thing tho - knitting makes a thinner, lighter fabric.

I saw a charity recently that said the same thing. I was put off and will donate my hats where they are appreciated

That's an awesome looking hat, Gene! The stitch short rows really mimic knit (look), and would be thick and warm.

I think those charity folks are a bit daft, if both were in a solid stitch (not lacey patterns) and same yarn the crochet would be much thicker and warmer than the knit one.

Edited by Granny Square

I make hats for charity. Mine are double crochet. I made one for myself from ILTY. It hasn't held it's shape well at all and is a bit holey, but it is still plenty warm. (I have very short hair) I have wondered about using 2 strands, though that would make them cost more to make. I think I'll also look for possible alternatives.