Yarn Allergy - Help!!!!

I recently have had hives and just generally very itchy skin. I recently read that when a woman goes through menopause her estrogen levels drop (of course). But I did not know this can cause very itchy skin. Estrogen cream can help this as well as using non fragrant bath soaps, body lotion and laundry detergent. I have sensitive skin and sometimes it's a puzzle as to what the problem is. Or as I say, Now whats itching me?  Jewlery is a no no. I have to paint the back of my watches with clear nail polish. For itch relief you can try liquid benadryl. Its for kids, but it will work for adults to. Warning: it tastes terrible and it will make most people sleepy. 

On 6/24/2021 at 1:30 PM, gemlovesjasper said:

For itch relief you can try liquid benadryl. Its for kids, but it will work for adults to. Warning: it tastes terrible and it will make most people sleepy. 

Benadryl aka diphenhydramine is available in capsules. I give it to my allergen probe dog when she gets itchy or develops hives. 

• 1 month later...
On 3/2/2015 at 3:28 PM, Sdegolian said:

I have this same problem. It's bad. Are you still having problems?

post-74516-0-36915200-1425335261_thumb.jpg

I have the same problem on both forearms when I crochet. It doesn't seem to matter what brand or color of yarn I use. Sometimes Benadryl Gel helps but, usually it doesn't. Does anyone have a good solution? My doctor says it's just a contact reaction.

My allergy is to wool.  So no problem with that, as it is more expensive.  That really looked painful and I am glad you figured it out.  Strange how some things bother you and others do not.

As for fabric softener and washing soap, NOTHING has any scent to them.  Everything is fragrance free.  Anything in a white bottle, Due to allergies and asthma.  I even had to tell the people who come in to help no perfumes.

Edited by Tampa Doll

When my DD was in nursing school and doing her clinicals at the hospital, she had to wear arm sleeves to cover her tattoos. Maybe these would help you prevent any skin problems while crocheting. Amazon.com carries them and so do retail medical supplies stores.

The arm sleeve idea might just be the ticket.  I had replied to this thread earlier (many people had issues but I hadn't scrolled back to the beginning, where someone said it might be rubbing arms over their shirt and somehow a reaction to laundry products, but wouldn't they be itching and red wherever their clothes covered? ow!)

I think it is strange that if people are allergic to the yarn, that their fingers and palms wouldn't be inflamed too.  But sleeves certainly couldn't hurt to try, could  just be tender arm-skin being irritated by scratchy acrylic (versus an actual allergy).

23 hours ago, Granny Square said:

The arm sleeve idea might just be the ticket.  I had replied to this thread earlier (many people had issues but I hadn't scrolled back to the beginning, where someone said it might be rubbing arms over their shirt and somehow a reaction to laundry products, but wouldn't they be itching and red wherever their clothes covered? ow!)

I think it is strange that if people are allergic to the yarn, that their fingers and palms wouldn't be inflamed too.  But sleeves certainly couldn't hurt to try, could  just be tender arm-skin being irritated by scratchy acrylic (versus an actual allergy).

I have to agree with your theory about the hands not getting irritated. After I crochet for longer than usual, I get a irritated feeling on the outside of my forearms. I don't get a rash though. It's usually gone by the next morning. I think it's from rubbing on my shirt when crocheting.

• 6 months later...

So glad I joined this group. I've been looking at the pictures and reading the posts. I'm a crocheter (knitter and machine knitter), and have been for 
the last 30 (almost) years.

October 22nd of 2021, I started to get terrible, welty, angry rashes on my hands, neck and face. I went to a dermatologist and after many weeks convinced
her to give me a patch test. As it turns out, I am suddenly alergic to things I have never been allergic to: nickel, wool, disperse blue dye 125 (and related
dyes with the same chemical composition), most cleaning products etc. I've been advised to only wear 100% cotton and silk.

I have never had allergic reactions really in my life prior to this (except for the occaisonal cosmetic that caused a reaction).

I'm sure I'd be okay yarn crafting with linen, bamboo etc.

Folks, I've been diagnosed with Contact Dermatitis and it is noooooooo fun! Everything I touch has to be rigorously checked out before I can even touch it.
I've been told that even the smallest exposure to these allergens can set off a major flare in my skin that could last for weeks (even if I stop touching the substance immediately) :-(. The topical oinment that I'm on has lots of scary side effects too.

I guess you can be allergic to acrylic yarn. What I didn't realize until reading these posts, is that your hooks and needles (holders, markers etc) can be made of nickel!! Most of my hooks and needles are metal and I'll have to put them through my nickel detector (along with the needles on my knitting machine bed). Yikes! 

If you're having issues like this and you have to see a dermatologist, I recommend a patch test. Otherwise, you'll be dependent on this doctor for prescribining the steroid/or whatever cream they choose to put you on (That's another story!) And, you won't know specifically what is giving you that 
rash. Knowing what causes the rash is half the battle won.

Linnel 

I'm sorry you have to go through this. It does sound scary and very uncomfortable. I was not allergic to anything until I was about 40 years old. As the years have passed it seems like something is added every year that I cannot tolerate. I was informed it has to do with the immune system failing as we "mature". I thank God that yarn is not included. 

Thanks so much for understanding! I just turned 60, and it just boggles my mind that all of a sudden I'm alergic to all these things. 
Not being able to yarncraft with wool is a huge loss to me. I love to felt some projects every once-in-a-while.

22 hours ago, Linnel1 said:

Thanks so much for understanding! I just turned 60, and it just boggles my mind that all of a sudden I'm alergic to all these things. 
Not being able to yarncraft with wool is a huge loss to me. I love to felt some projects every once-in-a-while.

If the allergies do not include your respiratory tract, would thin cotton gloves help?

• 7 months later...

So glad I found this site.  I read with interest your stories about allergies.  

Mine baffles me, so here goes.  I have been a crocheter for eons and could use any kind of yarn.  Then, I couldn’t.  The problem was not contact.  It was that I began to have shortness of breath when I crocheted. Well. That was a conundrum.  I would stop for a while, or for a day, or longer, but every time I tried, I would have the same reaction - use of my asthma inhaler would help, but not for long. Darn it. I began experimenting with various yarns - acrylics were definitely out, ditto for wools or blends and even cotton blends or bamboo or silk.  I am very sensitive to odours, and thought it might be that, and tried all those avenues, as have been mentioned previously by members.  And I took as much care as I could to buy yarns which weren’t “smelly” - not an easy task or and an easy find.

Well… I was sitting in the sun one day, trying again to crochet, and what did I see but a gazillion little fibres from the yarns floating in the air?  An aha moment; I was inhaling them. And, once again I tried to find yarns that I thought wouldn’t have those floaties.  No luck. The next thing I tried was wearing a mask, and that helped.  But… there were fibres on my clothes, so I had to deal with them when I got up and moved. So, and only those of us who are dedicated to a craft will understand my next move - putting a large cloth over myself as well.  Such a pain.  It’s has been a year, and I have put away all my crochet stuff, and given away tons of yarn. And I have missed it!  Now that fall is in the air, I’m thinking of trying again to crochet.  I know of only one other case like mine, also from an asthmatic friend, who gave up her love of crochet.

I have researched for any kind of yarn that I might be able to use - and have spent much time and money, but the mask and ”Hazmat suit” seem to the only answer.  I understand that yarns are woven fibres, but honestly, what’s a gal to do?

I would really love to hear from anyone with some thoughts about this.

I'm so sorry you don't get to enjoy crocheting as much as you'd like to. I have not heard/read anything new to prevent skin rashes from yarn, but I would highly recommend still using a face mask when you crochet. The N95 type masks are your best bet to stay safe which can be purchased at any pharmacy. Maybe another member will see your post and have something to add.

• Like 1