I am trying to find an answer and find no help with TSA. Has anyone flown with crochet hooks in their carry on? The TSA web site says knitting needles are ok but nothing about hooks. Anyone have experiences?

Hi

I had this question a few years back when I flew for the first time, and someone posted the (then) TSA

regs that weren't inclusive of crochet hooks.

But we had several seasoned flyers respond that wood or plastic were fine.

Some had even been totally successful getting their metal ones thru just fine.

I think the scrupulousness varies slightly from airport to airport, so I wished to be on the safe side and didn't want to risk losing a favorite hook, so I used some Lion Brand or Bates plastic ones.

And for scissors packed some very round tipped safety scissors (kids kind).

I've never had any problem at all.

the other thing to do instead of scissors may be the thread cutters. I've even seen one that is almost a pretty necklace. May not be as easy to use for a close cut, but better than getting scissors taken.

Before taking anything on a plane (and I know this is a pain) I would call the specific airports and find out. threat levels can change unexpectedly, what you could take today you may not be able to take tomorrow. Tsa rules are also changing. If nothing else works I would do what a previous poster suggested and take cheap ones on the flight. Interesting they let knitting hooks on since those could for sure be used as a weapon (yeah I watch too many movies/ shows with too much gore).

I fly all the time with (metal)crochet hooks and have never had a problem. i have a small coupon cutter that i take in place of a scissors.

I usually fly with just a few hooks in my carry-on bag. I wouldn't have my whole collection, or some hooks with you that you would cry if they were taken away.

I have had a few metal ones in my bag and never had a problem. I also carry children' round tip scissors with me. You can get a pair for under a dollar and if they were taken, it's no big deal.

As another person said, check the airport regulations. With different levels of threats, more security is needed to keep us safe. The TSA is only trying to keep us safe, and it can make us "normal" people feel a bit put out. Safety is number one.

Good luck and have a nice trip.

:manyheart

I put my Crochet supplies in a baggy and had it ready kinda like they want you to do with your liquids. I had metal hooks and a pair of blunt tipped scissors...I flew out of minneapolis...

I fly numerous times a year - just recently two weeks ago. Have never had a problem with any crochet hook. I take nail clippers instead of scissors just to be safe, but understand that small blunt nosed (think kids) scissors are allowed.

Mary, actually you are better off with children's blunt or rounded tip scissors, as TSA

prohibits any cutter device that holds a "concealed" blade.

If the cutter (box,coupon, or circular) contains a blade of any kind it's a documented no-no.

http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/airtravel/assistant/editorial_1252.shtm

Also, its not where I can locate but the site use to say how long the knitting needles could

be but nothing about hooks, I think it was 10 in or less, so I always brought plastic circulars.

Thanks all. I think I'll take just a couple of my "cheap" hooks. I don't think I'll have a problem. I am flying out of Albuquerque. We shall see.

I took my hooks with me last year when I went to the CGOA convention. I only took what I thought I might need ( Not my full set ) and I always use a pair of fingernail clippers for cutting my thread when I am out and about. They work great and totally acceptable anywhere.

I had no problem with my hook on the airplanes. In fact I spent my time on the flight crocheting.

I took three of my steel hooks and 3 of my yarn hooks. I did look up the rules before I booked my flight to be sure. The rules I read said all needlecraft items were acceptable and I carried a copy of that with me in case I was challenged. Of course I have duplicates of all of the ones I took so I wasn't too worried.

I could not imagine going to a crochet convention without hooks.

So far I've only flown with hooks once, but I didn't have a problem. I did get a yarn cutter pendant just for the occasion, but that's because the project I was working on at the time was a bunch of motifs. If you don't think you'll need to cut the yarn during the duration of your flight, I wouldn't worry about it.

Hi, I fly all the time with my crochet and have never had a problem taking hooks in my carry on. And I usually take the case with about 10 hooks. For scissors I take a pair of childs safety scissors with the rounded tip and have never had a problem. The trick is to have a blunt tip and blades under 3 inches.

Agreed! But if you read the TSA link given in my above post, those short blades in the special pendant round pretty yarn cutters are less that 3 inches, they are still considered "concealed" so therefore technically not permitted per TSA guidelines.

I like you bring along blunt, rounded kids safety scissors.

All this being said, I'm sure many bring the pendant kind thru without a problem, but on the off chance

a TSA inspector is directly by the book I wouldn't want to lose a pretty gadget such as that!

At least our kid scissors are around. 99¢

There was one 'Viller who DID have hers confiscated a while back when security threat was the highest, and she was crest fallen.

It was on an older thread pertaining to this.

Edited by shuttlebuggy
spelling

Kid scissors are cheap, under a buck and if someone took them, it's no big deal.

I haven't flown TSA but have flown with my crochet hooks many times with no problem. No one has ever said a word about them, which I almost found odd. I also take a tiny pair of scissors and those are allowed too. To be sure, I'd ask the airlines themselves or airport security where you are flying out of and in to. But every time this has come up, everyone has said no problems. I've never heard a report of them being denied boarding with crochet hooks or knitting needles either.

Never had a problem even with size 14 thread hooks. I take along a dental floss container just in case I need to cut thread or yarn, although I've found the plastic knives will work also.

The most dangerous part is if you drop your hook. Planes are so crowded and have so many nooks and crannies, I've lost hooks forever because I couldn't find them.

A few years ago, my daughter and I went to San Diego, just to get out of the nasty March Chicago Weather. We had booked the flight just the week before, so of course, that made us "suspicious". We got searched, at O'hare, and then coming back at San Diego. They looked through my crochet stuff and never said a word. They also looked at one of the disposable cameras to make sure that it was a camera. It was a humiliating experience for both myself and my seventeen year old daughter.

Those random searches are terrible and humiliating to deal with. The ladies are just doing their jobs, but it is rough to go through.