Oscar de la Renta crocheted suit - WHAT KIND OF CROCHET?

nemomum

Question

Hi there,

I was admiring the Oscar de la Renta suit on the left of the attached picture. It is described as being crocheted. I was wondering what the pattern is and if anyone has seen something similar in crochet patterns as I my purse is not deep enough to stretch to lovely Oscar de la Renta.

post-51701-135897739737_thumb.jpg

8 answers to this question

:cheerI have had issues with clothing shops, in my local Mall, calling fabric Crochet when it is really an Embroidered Lace.

The staff look funny at you when you tell them it is not Crochet but of course, it is the designers and publicity people who make the mistake in the first place.

There was also some cardigans which were labelled as Crochet when they were obviouly very fine knitted boucle yarn.

Looks to me like this suit is Embroidered lace rather than crochet.

Maybe one day we will be able to educate the designers. Yeah right!!!

Have fun.

Colleen:hook

:cheerI have had issues with clothing shops, in my local Mall, calling fabric Crochet when it is really an Embroidered Lace.

The staff look funny at you when you tell them it is not Crochet but of course, it is the designers and publicity people who make the mistake in the first place.

There was also some cardigans which were labelled as Crochet when they were obviouly very fine knitted boucle yarn.

Looks to me like this suit is Embroidered lace rather than crochet.

Maybe one day we will be able to educate the designers. Yeah right!!!

Have fun.

Colleen:hook

That is truly a shame all around .... it is like when I tell people that I crochet they call it knit .. that drives me crazy and no matter how I explain they still inist that I am knitting lol

One of my good friends does the same thing. She calls everything knit. She's had the opportunity to see most every single thing that I've made and she says "it all looks like knit to me - all of it looks the same." I told her she was crazy - that there's no way all of these different kinds of stitches could look the same. She said "they do look different - but it's all knit to me."

Very frustrating. Lately, I've just been making things and putting them away in a storage container without letting her see the finished items. The "all looks the same" statment gets on my nerves too much and it's not worth having an argument with a good friend.

Neomomum, that is a lovely knit pattern (not crochet).

Reminds me of a 'spider motif' in crochet, somewhat, but that (spider) would be rather holey. Here is an example, the spider motifs are between open filet meshes, http://www.freepatterns.com/detail.html?code=FC01097&cat_id=318

This was an outfit in his Spring 2012 collection which is being heralded for his numerous items in crochet, lace and taffeta. I blew up a section of the suit:

post-14620-135897749103_thumb.jpg

it is definitely crochet (as all the articles said), but I do not recognize the stitch. It was in all probability created especially for his design.

Archived