Thumb surgery and altering hooks

FelixLake

I know I've been away for awhile but I haven't given up on my crocheting. I've have been lurking regularly. I've had some life experiences get in the way, but through everything I've had my crocheting, knitting, and quilting, until now.

I had a benign soft tissue tumor on my right thumb that started to interfere with my knuckle so my only option was to have surgery to have it removed. I will probably have some residual nerve damage to that thumb so I'm not sure I will be able to use it again for crocheting. Funny, I didn't seem to be too concerned about anything else except for being able to hold a crochet hook or use scissors. :think I must surely be 'hooked' good. I've learned to do alot without my thumb but so far not this. Just before my surgery, I even bought some new yarn even knowing that I might not be able to crochet for a long time.

Anyway, what I'm getting at is this... while I could learn to crochet left handed, I would like to try to modify my hooks so that I can still crochet right handed. I really liked the trigger style holder but the hooks themselves leave somthing to be desired. They are sometimes rough and can snag the yarn. Has anyone modified their hooks for their own unique disabilities and if so how? What materials worked best? Some type of clay? I have a daughter-in-law that is an art major and is willing to help me alter my hooks using her talents in 3D art I just need some suggestions.

Pictures of your unique hooks would also be great!

Thanks all. I look forward to getting back to 'hooking' very soon.

• 3 weeks later...

You can check with your hand therapist who might be able to do something with the hooks you have. Back in '96 I had trigger finger surgery on 3 fingers of my right hand. I received therapy from a hand/occupational therapist. I told her I was still unable to crochet. I brought in a G hook as that was the one I mostly used at the time. First she put a thin straw sized plastic tube over it and then inserted into a very thick rubber like tubing increasing the diameter of the handle to about 3/4 of an inch. It is wonderful to grip. Something like this might be easy for you to hold and it probably wouldn't put any pressure on the surgical area.

Archived