Help reading pattern

JosieMald

Question

I am relatively new to crocheting and when I mean new I mean I just started yesterday. I studied the book that I bought but it doesn't really explain reading patterns to much just mostly abbreviations. So I've started this pattern but I am stuck on RND 3. So this is the beginning of the pattern with some extra info.

Chocolate brown yarn held double

Ch 2

Rnd 1: 6 sc in second ch from hook. (6)

Rnd 2: 2 sc in each st around. Join with a sl st. (12)

Rnd 3: Ch 3 (count as first dc), *dc inc, dc* five times, dc inc. Join with a sl st. (18)

I'm not sure if I am reading this right. So this is what I think I am suppose to do. At the third chain I make a dc then I do the dc inc (2 chains) then the dc and repeat this 5 times and finish up the rest. I tried it this way and it looks weird because the gaps are really big. So I don't know if I'm crocheting it wrong and it just looks weird or I read the pattern wrong. Another thing is when it says ch 3 am I suppose to make 3 chains or use the third stitch from the sc? I feel like I am making this more complicated then it seems.

Thanks in advance.

Josie

4 answers to this question

Okay so I went through my book again and realized that it never explained dc inc it only explained decreasing which is weird so I finally found a good tutorial. Though my question still remains. In the beginning of Rnd 3 do I make 3 ch? I'm sorry I am such a noob. I am going to try and do 3 ch and see how it looks because I am getting desperate. I have been trying to complete this hat since yesterday.

Rnd 2: 2 sc in each st around. Join with a sl st. (12)

Rnd 3: Ch 3 (count as first dc), *dc inc, dc* five times, dc inc. Join with a sl st. (18)

for round 3, you start out by chaining 3, this is what is known as a turning chain. In this case the chain3 stands in for a dc stitch and is counted as a stitch. Next you make a dc inc (which as you know is 2 dc made into the same stitch), into the next sc of the previous round. Next make one dc into the next sc of previous round. Continue around making a dc inc, then a single dc. at the end of this round you will have 18 dc. Make a slip sttich into the top of the turning chain 3, that is, into the 3rd chain stitch.

I think that round 2 should have started with a chain1, your first sc will usually be kind of squished if you don't do a turning chain first. that chain1 would not be counted as a stitch.

What book are you using?

Don't know what book you are using but I reccomend this one. It's what I used and had great visuals of everything for left and right handed and covered all the basics really nice. If you can't find it at the craft store this site is a great place to order from and speedy shipping. Mary

http://www.123stitch.com/cgi-perl/itemdetail.pl?item=LA3164

Archived