Help with thread sizes

LadyLighthousePearl

Boy do I love to crochet with thread ... but...

US patterns are always talking about size 3, size 10 etc. and I have no idea what that means?

How can that be explained to someone who is on the other side of the big puddle ... Help Ladies!!! Pleeeeaaasssseee :think

• 4 weeks later...

Size 3 is a thicker thread than size 10 , 20, is thinner than 10...30 is thinner than 20...The smaller the number 3 ,the thicker the thread.....

Size 3---thicker, than

Size 10-- 10 is thinner, than ( Size 10, my favorite size,I might add)

Size 20-- 20 is thinner, than

Size 30--very thin.

I hope this helps, as I am not very good at explaining

• 2 weeks later...

:facebookHi Lady LighthousePearl, just remember the higher number size thread the thinner it goes. Just like Crochet hooks. Thread sizes can go all the way to 100. I don't know where but I saw size 150 thread once. This was about 2-3 years ago I was browsing around on the computer.

I even crochet with sewing thread. put a few together to get the look you want. I have tried crocheting with size 70 & 80 thread alone. and you can forget it. I'll stay with size 10,20,30's. what are you going to crocheting once you get your thread ?

Hope this helps in your buying your thread.

• 1 month later...
Size 3 is a thicker thread than size 10 , 20, is thinner than 10...30 is thinner than 20...The smaller the number 3 ,the thicker the thread.....

Size 3---thicker, than

Size 10-- 10 is thinner, than ( Size 10, my favorite size,I might add)

Size 20-- 20 is thinner, than

Size 30--very thin.

I hope this helps, as I am not very good at explaining

There is one brand I've used where the size 8 is more like our size 20. Finca threads. I love the thread but made an assumption it would be larger than the size 10 I was using. I don't know if it's unique to the brand or the fact it was perle cotton.

I love all thread. I have used size 150 crochet thread. I found it at an antique shop and had to try it. It was fun.

I don't mind sizes 70 or 80 either. It is just what you get used to.

But as a designer I am asked to design mostly in size 10 or larger threads. I can get away with size 20 once in a while but for the most part it has to be the larger threads for most publishers.

Such a shame as the beauty of the finer threads is incredible.

:facebookHi Lady LighthousePearl, just remember the higher number size thread the thinner it goes. Just like Crochet hooks. Thread sizes can go all the way to 100. I don't know where but I saw size 150 thread once. This was about 2-3 years ago I was browsing around on the computer.

I even crochet with sewing thread. put a few together to get the look you want. I have tried crocheting with size 70 & 80 thread alone. and you can forget it. I'll stay with size 10,20,30's. what are you going to crocheting once you get your thread ?

Hope this helps in your buying your thread.

Katchkan, why not make something in finer thread that you also have made in size 10 thread. Maybe the publisher would use it so readers can see the difference in what has been crocheted in size 10 Threads and in what has been crocheted up in size 20 threads, or instead of using size 20 thread use size 30 threads.

yea, same pattern for both projects.

Archived