Sign in to follow this  
Rubik

How did you get into crochet?

I get so much enjoyment out of it and I wondered how others got to be into it too? I started 5 years ago when I was pregnant with my son, didn't get beyond the basic stitches and didn't have time for it when I returned to work.

Second pregnancy, I thought I'd use my maternity leave to try and learn it properly (well it's not like I can go rock climbing or kickboxing! :lol). As luck would have it I'm temporarily disabled with SPD, a quite common hip problem related to pregnancy. Unfortunately I've got it badly enough that I can't walk and as I can't drive it's either crochet and youtube videos about crochet or daytime TV and there's only so much Maury a girl can take. I realised I was watching it too much when my 5 year old walked in, pointed at the TV and asked me 'so which one is the father?' :eek

I get such a thrill out of learning a new stitch that was previously too complicated or difficult for me and of making little bootees in different colours and all the buttons, beads, appliques, ribbons etc in all different colours to try and make something pretty. I'd love to know how you got into crochet and what made you fall in love with it? :D

When my daughter was a baby her security blankie of choice was an afghan crocheted by my best friend. I couldn't afford to keep buying them so my friend taught me to crochet them for her myself and away we went. I am still grateful to her for not only teaching me the art but insisting I learn to read patterns at the same time as I was reluctant to do so. She opened an entire wonderful world to me.

I decided I wanted to make my sister in law a blanket for her baby who was due Valentines Day 2010. (The day she was actually born also) It took me until April (Started February 15th on the blanket) and I bought this book at Wal-mart called "I taught myself crochet". I watched youtube videos and found different tutorials on the stitches online.

The blanket was thrown away. She won't get another thing from me.

Now I have a reason to make a pretty pink blanket!! I found out yesterday I am pregnant with #3. Hoping for a girl (but I'll have both colors just in case!!)

I was taught by my mom many years ago. In Jan 2010 I picked up a hook again after watching my friend crochet 7 blankets while her hubby was in terminally ill in the hospital. Another friend was hooking while we were on trips (I was driving). I never remember making a thing as a child, but I picked up the hook and yarn and away I went. For whatever reason I could read a pattern (not sure if mom taught me that or??) and I've learned some new stitches along the way!

I was playing all kinds of online games. One night I looked at my beautiful farm on farmville...and really saw that it just didn't mean a thing compared to crocheting a prayer shawl for someone or a blanket for a new baby or hats for cancer patients. I shut the games down and haven't gone back.

I'm frloplady on ravelry..you can see what I've mostly all done in the meantime!

I wanted to make doll's clothes and the cute toys I kept seeing. So with a combination of a wonderful Aunt and lots of library books and videos I taught myself a few years ago. I tried knitting, but haven't got beyond the dishcloth stage. :lol:lol

I had crocheted when I was 12 and my step mom was pregnant with my little sister (who is 18 now, btw). My sister and I made some crocheted blocks and blankets for our sister. Then I didn't do any other crochet stuff until november 2010 (the month after I had my youngest son) when my sister-in-law finally convinced me to try it out again. I bought the book "Teach Yourself Visually Crochet" and used that and YouTube videos to teach myself. The rest is history! Now, I'm selling stuff and have orders backed up! Even trying my hand at designing now. :)

I learned from my grandma when I was about 16. Put it down and didn't pick it up again until I was pregnant with my first baby. Then I picked it up and haven't put it down since.

I made baby blankets, bonnets, and all kinds of baby things. First for my kids, and now the hospital.

It's just a good stress reliever for me.

:manyheart

I learned from a friend the basics stitches when I was visiting her. She said she thought I'd like it so I went and bought a skein of yarn and a hook and she taught me ch, sc, and dc. I taught myself the rest and even taught her recently how to do rounds. I love crochet! I like making her hats (she loves hats) because I genuinely appreciate her teaching me and sparking the interest.

I was taught by my Mother and Grandmother. I come from a family where

all the girls learned knitting,crochet,quilting,rag rug making,crewel and so

forth before we started any formal schooling. Neither my grandmother or Mother could understand them teaching these things in our grade school,

much less high school.