February 2012 Charity CAL 2/16/12 - 1/21/12

busy-bee-lmt

Darski, been there done that. I have started a cap using the pattern titled "Anything but Drab." It calls for 4 rows of sc/dc in the same stitch and 4 rows of sc. I have done 4 rows of the sc/dc and 4 rows of sc and beginning another set of the 4 rows of sc/dc. Then I set it aside as I just don't like the looks of the sc/dc. Now I am making some Ugly but Warm caps but making them child size by only doing 10 rows of dc instead of 11 rows and the 11th row is the sc row that is the 12th row according to the pattern. I am also using a L hook instead of the M hook called for. Since our charity weekend has begun I have completed 3 caps and on the 4th which I hope to finish today. I am having a blast and also using up odd and end balls of yarn.

Linda, I too, have arthritis but mine it is in my spine. For several years now it affects my walking so I am what I consider a semi shut-in. I leave the house for church, doctor's appointments, occasionaly we eat out, and some shopping trips if there is something I need that my hubby would not know exactly it is that I wanted/needed. He is really great doing the grocery shopping.

Denise, love your cat toys and bed. But did you have to mention changing all those awkward moments of high school. I mean high school was such a long time ago for me that I don't want to go back.

Mary, love your RR and scarf. The colors are beautiful.

Everyone keep up the good work.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Funny that you say "when in doubt, make a hat". I do the same thing with cat mats. When my current quilt or crochet items are too challenging, I pull out my "cat mat tote". No counting required.

But so far this week, I've only been able to finish up a bed and some fish toys I already had started. I did start a mat last night while watching some TV. I can finish it tonight.

[ATTACH]52394[/ATTACH]

At first I thought the date boo boo gave us all year like the Boxing Day CAL! Then I realized it required time travel backwards and I have not figured that one out yet or I would have fixed all of those awkward moments back in high school!!!

Very nice cat mat and toys. :clap :clap :clap

Now wait a minute! You only get to go back part of a month with the date bolux. But I guess you could count anything made for charity during that part of the month if you want. :devil

Good Morning!

Linda ~ I hope your arthritis is better today. :hug I'll have strawberries and white chocolate. :D

Cherries and dark chocolate for me.

I had to frog part of the scarf. :blush It has ridges of BPDC and FPDC I forgot them several rows back. :lol So, this afternoon I hope to catch up.

Here are the two things I've finished since Thursday. The RR is 40" across and I used Michael's Impeccables Soft Rose, Aran and Neopolitan. The scarf is the Shelly pattern made with Vanna's Dusty Green.

The scarf and rr are both lovely. :clap :clap :clap

I love that RR - it is just stunning. Thank you for sharing that one.

I have 6 hats now and I figure it is time to put those squares together today. I'm using cream to join pink squares... with a border it should be very pretty. Well prettier than a pile of pink squares. :rofl

Sounds like the pink and cream will be very pretty. :cheer :cheer :cheer

Darski, been there done that. I have started a cap using the pattern titled "Anything but Drab." It calls for 4 rows of sc/dc in the same stitch and 4 rows of sc. I have done 4 rows of the sc/dc and 4 rows of sc and beginning another set of the 4 rows of sc/dc. Then I set it aside as I just don't like the looks of the sc/dc. Now I am making some Ugly but Warm caps but making them child size by only doing 10 rows of dc instead of 11 rows and the 11th row is the sc row that is the 12th row according to the pattern. I am also using a L hook instead of the M hook called for. Since our charity weekend has begun I have completed 3 caps and on the 4th which I hope to finish today. I am having a blast and also using up odd and end balls of yarn.

Linda, I too, have arthritis but mine it is in my spine. For several years now it affects my walking so I am what I consider a semi shut-in. I leave the house for church, doctor's appointments, occasionaly we eat out, and some shopping trips if there is something I need that my hubby would not know exactly it is that I wanted/needed. He is really great doing the grocery shopping.

Everyone keep up the good work.

I think I'd rather have it in the joints I have mine in. Most days it's not that bad, that the pain pills won't handle it. I'd hate it in my back. :hug :hug :hug

Wow, everyone has been so busy. That ripple and scarf are SO nice. And does anyone wonder what happens to all of the hats (or cat toys) that go out into the universe? It seems like with all of the hats we see here, everyone should have one by now, right? It must be like socks in the dryer. So until every head is warm, I guess we soldier on!!

I still (yes, still) have not learned how to join blocks. So if you used bright orange to join your squares, I would think they were amazing, simply because they were joined!!

Back to work tomorrow. Phooey. Work = buy yarn. So I guess it's ok.

Oh, and sorry for invoking any high school related PTSD. Kids these days have it worse. We maybe had something written in our yearbook, but kids now have their social mis-steps posted on face book, twitter, you tube. Ugh.

Good Morning!

Thanks to all of you for the compliments. :manyheart I hope to have the other scarf finished by this evening.

Kathy ~ Arthritis in your spine must be so painful...but we're sure glad you can crochet! :hug I've been wanting to try the UBW hat in a smaller size, so I wrote down your changes - thanks!

Darski ~ 6 hats! :cheer Using the cream to join pink squares sounds perfect. :)

Yep, it's early here. :lol We're always up about 5, but I will be gone a good part of the day and wanted to check in early. Have a good morning!

Good morning everyone. Yesterday was spent moving and sorting things in the downstairs in preparation for the upcoming move to Texas. Today I will be picking up the hook again and working on the prayer shawl and hiding tails on several items.

Since the theme this month has been chocolate in honor of Valentine's Day I have a variety of hot chocolate for your drinking pleasure and honest to goodness fresh whipped cream to top it off with today.

Wow, everyone has been so busy. That ripple and scarf are SO nice. And does anyone wonder what happens to all of the hats (or cat toys) that go out into the universe? It seems like with all of the hats we see here, everyone should have one by now, right? It must be like socks in the dryer. So until every head is warm, I guess we soldier on!!

I still (yes, still) have not learned how to join blocks. So if you used bright orange to join your squares, I would think they were amazing, simply because they were joined!!

Back to work tomorrow. Phooey. Work = buy yarn. So I guess it's ok.

With all the millions of people on the planet not mention in the USA I don't think that we'll ever run out of people who need a nice warm hat or animals awaiting adoption that are in need of warm beds and toys.

Have a great day. :manyheart

I finished my fourth Ugly but Warm cap this morning. I used a chocolate brown and camel on this one. I am now making another one using gray and burgandy.

Mary/Skysmom - I don't have as much pain in my spine nowdays as I did when it was first diagnosed which has been a little over 20 years ago. When it was first diagnosed (other than the days when the pain would flare up) I could move and walk fairly normal. But in recent years it has affected my walking and I am not as flexible as I used to be. Also I can't stand for long periods of time. The pain has lessen or else I just don't feel it anymore or not as often. My doctor used to keep a prescription current at my drug store for a NSAID (non-steriod anti-inflammatory drug) that I could order whenever I had a bad flare up of the pain. One time quite a few years ago after one such flare up (And if I remember correctly I missed some work this time because of the flare up.) I was still having some twinches of pain and stiffness. I decided to try and take just one of the NSAID's daily (my usual prescription called for two a day) and see if it would help. It did. Within a week I felt so much better and could move better. I had a regular visit with my doctor 3 or 4 weeks later and told him what I was doing. He approved it but I do have to have bloodwork done once a year to make sure it has not affected my liver. So far it has not affected my liver. And now I have noticed in recent years I have pain a lot less. Instead I have days when I feel like I am trying to walk in a vat of Jello or in quick sand. I move very awkardly and that is frustrating. But I am happy because it has not hindered my crocheting.

I finished my fourth Ugly but Warm cap this morning. I used a chocolate brown and camel on this one. I am now making another one using gray and burgandy.

Mary/Skysmom - I don't have as much pain in my spine nowdays as I did when it was first diagnosed which has been a little over 20 years ago. When it was first diagnosed (other than the days when the pain would flare up) I could move and walk fairly normal. But in recent years it has affected my walking and I am not as flexible as I used to be. Also I can't stand for long periods of time. The pain has lessen or else I just don't feel it anymore or not as often. My doctor used to keep a prescription current at my drug store for a NSAID (non-steriod anti-inflammatory drug) that I could order whenever I had a bad flare up of the pain. One time quite a few years ago after one such flare up (And if I remember correctly I missed some work this time because of the flare up.) I was still having some twinches of pain and stiffness. I decided to try and take just one of the NSAID's daily (my usual prescription called for two a day) and see if it would help. It did. Within a week I felt so much better and could move better. I had a regular visit with my doctor 3 or 4 weeks later and told him what I was doing. He approved it but I do have to have bloodwork done once a year to make sure it has not affected my liver. So far it has not affected my liver. And now I have noticed in recent years I have pain a lot less. Instead I have days when I feel like I am trying to walk in a vat of Jello or in quick sand. I move very awkardly and that is frustrating. But I am happy because it has not hindered my crocheting.

You've got a great attitude! And hooray that it hasn't affected your crocheting. :cheer :cheer :cheer

I managed to get 4 ubw hats done for this event

that increased my Feb.total to 14 hats,I figured that would help us come July and August when the yarn will be moving alot more sluggishly through our fingers,the goal for Piscescrocheter & I are 100 hats,so far we have 29

will have Rene' post a picture for me tomorrow.

:jumpyay:woo:jumpyay I got 4 UBW caps done and started on the 5th. My goal was to make 6 for this event but got a little off track. Can't:hyper wait to see what our total for this month is. No matter what the total is I think everyone deserves a :tup, a :h5, to take a :bow, receive a round of :applause, and a :ghug for a job well done.:jumpyay:woo:jumpyay

Well, with working on the Bernat Mystery afghan and traveling this holiday weekend, I got about 1/2 of baby afghan finished..5 of 9 12" squares. I'll be finishing it up here in the next week or so. I hope everyone reached their goals this weekend! See you all next month! :clap

I managed to get 4 ubw hats done for this event

that increased my Feb.total to 14 hats,I figured that would help us come July and August when the yarn will be moving alot more sluggishly through our fingers,the goal for Piscescrocheter & I are 100 hats,so far we have 29

will have Rene' post a picture for me tomorrow.

:cheer:cheer:cheer

:jumpyay:woo:jumpyay I got 4 UBW caps done and started on the 5th. My goal was to make 6 for this event but got a little off track. Can't:hyper wait to see what our total for this month is. No matter what the total is I think everyone deserves a :tup, a :h5, to take a :bow, receive a round of :applause, and a :ghug for a job well done.:jumpyay:woo:jumpyay

Well, with working on the Bernat Mystery afghan and traveling this holiday weekend, I got about 1/2 of baby afghan finished..5 of 9 12" squares. I'll be finishing it up here in the next week or so. I hope everyone reached their goals this weekend! See you all next month! :clap

I finished 1 preemie afghan. I'll try to get a picture posted later today.

Congratulations, everyone!:cheer Thanks for the sharing and encouragement. :manyheart

One baby girl round ripple and two scarves finished!

Congratulations on a wonderful job everyone! I'll post totals in a day or two when it looks like everyone has posted. :ghug

I've been trying to get some yarn used up so .....

1 UBW

3 baby hats

1 12" square

2 8"squares

11 6" squares

IMG_1127.jpg

For this month I made

16 hats

assembled and edged one baby blanket.

post-4896-135897740336_thumb.jpg

I left the string showing how close I got to the end of the skein on that hat :eek had to switch to sc for the last row. :rofl

:wlol

post-4896-135897740332_thumb.jpg

Just need to tuck tails on

2 preemie blankets

2 chemo caps

:cheer :cheer :cheer

I've been trying to get some yarn used up so .....

1 UBW

3 baby hats

1 12" square

2 8"squares

11 6" squares

IMG_1127.jpg

:cheer :cheer :cheer

Here are my four ubw hats

Fabulous! :cheer :cheer :cheer

For this month I made

16 hats

assembled and edged one baby blanket.

[ATTACH]52508[/ATTACH][ATTACH]52509[/ATTACH]

I left the string showing how close I got to the end of the skein on that hat :eek had to switch to sc for the last row. :rofl

:wlol

Great job! :cheer :cheer :cheer You did cut that last one close. :lol

Don't you love it when you feel like you've used every bit of yarn Darski?

I finished

1 cat bed

16 cat toys

2 crochet cat mats (pictures tomorrow if you want to see them) and my mom made

1 crochet cat mat

• 2 weeks later...

So sorry to be so late in posting these, but I've been sick. We did fabulously this month:

9 1/2 UBW hats

2 chemo hats

3 baby hats

16 hats

1 preemie hat

1/2 baby afghan

3 preemie afghans

1 baby girl RR

Finished Baby blanket

2 scarves

1 prayer shawl finished

2/3 of a prayer shawl