Check out all the Dolce Gabbana Crochet Items!

DebraKay

Check this site for some really beautiful crocheted designs from Dolce Gabbana! My favorite is the granny square purse! I LOVE that and am wanting to try my own version. I need to figure how much I need to vary the design so that I will be "inspired by" and not "copying" .... I guess if I sat down and started crocheting without having the purse picture in front of me, it ought to come out different enough. I'm sure I'd have to have different closure so that might help guide me once I find the right one. Still so confused about this! I'd buy one of theirs but do not have an extra $2900 right now! I also like the pumps with the little crochet flower! We could make these and clip to any pair of pumps! Or pay $600 for these.

http://www.crochetconcupiscence.com/2012/02/designer-crochet-dolce-gabbana/

It looks like crochet is definitely high fashion right now!

:cheer yay for crochet in high fashion. legitimacy to the arts, maybe some respect...now if we could get away with charging what our work is really worth, based on an appropriate hourly wage....:lol

that 2010 black shirt with cap sleeves is so CUTE! (But I'm not paying $3k or more for something to wear! :eek) but if I find a pattern for something similar...:U

DebraKay, a lot could depend on whether D&G has trademarked the purse or not. If you want to publish a pattern for anything you make that's a close duplicate, I'd advise checking with an intellectual property attorney. D&G has enough money to make someone's life miserable if they thought that person was infringing upon either their trademark or copyright. Even if someone would be found to not be infringing if a court case ever went to trial, it would destroy most people financially to have to fight a case like that.

At least if someone has consulted an attorney ahead of time, it shows they made a good faith effort to follow the law, and a company would be much less likely to actually sue.

Now, fashion designs are generally not copyrightable in the US, which is why companies can make knock-off versions of each other's stuff all the time. Chances are, you would be okay with anything you made that was supposed to be just "inspired by," and not an actual direct copy, but I'm not an attorney soI can't give you actual legal advice.

DebraKay, a lot could depend on whether D&G has trademarked the purse or not. If you want to publish a pattern for anything you make that's a close duplicate, I'd advise checking with an intellectual property attorney. D&G has enough money to make someone's life miserable if they thought that person was infringing upon either their trademark or copyright. Even if someone would be found to not be infringing if a court case ever went to trial, it would destroy most people financially to have to fight a case like that.

At least if someone has consulted an attorney ahead of time, it shows they made a good faith effort to follow the law, and a company would be much less likely to actually sue.

Now, fashion designs are generally not copyrightable in the US, which is why companies can make knock-off versions of each other's stuff all the time. Chances are, you would be okay with anything you made that was supposed to be just "inspired by," and not an actual direct copy, but I'm not an attorney soI can't give you actual legal advice.

Thanks Amy -- I'd actually just be making something for myself or a gift. I'll leave the sales to others. But even to make one for myself, I'll try to ensure it is enough different not to ruffle feathers. But I'd never claim it as my own design and ..... as long as I'm not selling it, I doubt I'll cause any trouble.

But I'd never claim it as my own design and ..... as long as I'm not selling it, I doubt I'll cause any trouble. Except maybe here. So, I'll probably not post my result. :)

Oh, it wouldn't cause any problems at all here to post pictures of your finished item, as long as it's for personal use or a gift. So no worries! :)

Archived