Cotton yarn that is soft and affordable?

bigfunfam

I want to make an afghan but use cotton. I want something that will be soft and stay soft after washing. We have hard water here and the normal sugar and cream ends up very hard after washing.

Has anyone found a good brand that is soft, stays soft and isn't too much money per skein?

I've lived in a lot of places with very hard water, and probably any cotton will stiffen up on you. Using Calgon in the wash can help. Also, I hate the thought of it, but putting it in the dryer for a short time, maybe 5 minutes, then hanging it to dry, will probably help more than anything.

Gr8ful Momma ~

I know cotton can be dried all the way in the dryer. It's just that cotton shrinks, so unless you initially make your item bigger than you really want it, you get a big surprise after the first time of washing and drying.

I make a lot of bath cloths. I do throw them in the washer, but I hang them to dry, and they keep the original size. When my Dad's second wife put hers in the dryer, they shrank, and she hasn't stopped complaining about it, even though she was told not to do it.

I hang my rugs also.

Archived