Shells and?? I need help please

crochetmehappy

Question

Hello,

I am hoping someone here can help me. I've been going bonkers trying to find the name of this stitch pattern and have been trying for over a week to figure out how it's accomplished.

I know how to do dc shells in shells but I am baffled as to how the 'star' shape is created in between columns of shells.

I've attached a link to the photo. It's a really beautiful stitch pattern that seems to create a pleated effect.

I've tried BPDCs and FPDCs but can't seem to make it work the way it looks in the photo. I did come up with a lovely pattern but am just determined to figure this one out :D

It's been a good learning experience! Frogging over and over again and practice practice practice.

Thanks in advance. So happy to have found this forum.

For peter-pan8

6 answers to this question

Just a reminder to everyone about forum policies related to this type of request: We cannot allow an attempt to reverse engineer the pattern for the actual dress.

However, stitch patterns themselves are not copyrighted. If you know where a stitch like this can be found in a stitch dictionary or used in another pattern, you are very welcome to share that information.

If you have general ideas on how this particular stitch pattern was achieved, you can share that information as well.

Shells are done several ways:

As an example; a regular shell is a series of double crochets in one stitch of the previous row. An open shell is a series of dc with a ch 1 dividing them in half, say 2dc, ch1, 2dc all in the same one stitch of the previous row. A lace shell has a chain 1 (or 2) between the individual dc's all in the one stitch of the previous row.

This pattern appears to alternate between a regular shell and a lacey shell.

It is worked from the waist down. There is a typical shell of two groups of several dc separated by a small chain space. In between those are several dctog based in the shell and in a central dc that is in between each shell, this is what makes the lacy part. It was easiest for me to see by looking at it upside down (in the direction it was worked) and looking at the last row. Also i guess a progressively bigger hook was used to make it bigger at the bottom.

Hope that helps, AND meets the guidelines:)

:cheerI have been standing on my head, trying to see the stitches and think I have this stitch used this stitch many years ago.

Not sure which book I got it from but think it was one of those Dictionary of Crochet Stitches.

It would have been worked in rows rather than in the round as this cute little dress is so the stitches will look a little different.

Will see if I can find it and will let you know.

Have fun.

Colleen:hug

Archived