In Praise of the Lowly Garter Stitch!

PBLKNP

Garter stitch definitely has its uses. I think you're right: why should we apologize for one stitch over another? We humans can become snobbish over anything, even knitting stitches, it seems. And besides Sally Melville I think of Elizabeth Zimmerman and Mason-Dixon Knitting who use garter stitch beautifully.

Garter stitch definitely has its uses. I think you're right: why should we apologize for one stitch over another? We humans can become snobbish over anything, even knitting stitches, it seems. And besides Sally Melville I think of Elizabeth Zimmerman and Mason-Dixon Knitting who use garter stitch beautifully.

I quite agree! I love Elizabeth Zimmerman and I adore the Mason-Dixon knitting books!

I love garter stitch. I was raised in a family where simplicity was the key.

My Grandmother taught plain and simple knitting and crochet, quilting and so on. Her crazy quilts and around the world crazy grannies were works of art. I do a lot of crochet and knitting since retiring, I keep my patterns

simple and colorful.

I agree. There are beautiful variegated yarns that hide all stitch definition, so why not pair beautiful yarn with a simple stitch pattern? Personally, I am a big fan of the garter stitch and all simple stitch patterns--they're popular and they've remained so because they're great at what they do.

Yea, yea, fancy colorwork and complicated cable patterns are gorgeous, but they don't make the item any less useful, and I'm all about the practical, especially in terms of wearing and washing.

Archived