Selling crochet

Maiden

I'm a bit stuck. I have some bags that I want to make, and one pattern is used in a different stitch, but the results look nearly the same. Although different colours. I used a pattern from a how to crochet book and then I want to put another pattern from another book to intergrate it in as well, would I need to ask permission to show it off on social network sites or even to sell it? Or is it just selling the pattern that isn't allowed? I don't understand how it works in the crochet world!

Thank you!

Is there any copyright information in the book you are taking the pattern from? Usually they will tell you if you can use their pattern for sales. If they do not give you permission, yes, I would ask first before publishing on a site for sale.

I have been trying to get permission, even for listing a crochet photo on my Pinterest boards. I just figure people who own the rights should be given the opportunity to say yay or nay to putting it on my Pinterest. So far, every single one has said, YES, by all means use it on Pinterest. But I'm not selling anything. They might feel differently if I was.

Here's an article I wrote on the basics of Copyrights and ToU. I'm not a lawyer but I did study it extensively.

Pretty much- it's never ok to sell the pattern unless you're selling an original hard copy (like a book or a leaflet) and not keeping any copies for yourself.

You do not need permission to post pictures of your own personal work on social networks.

As far as selling the finished items - that's covered under Terms of Use. You need to be aware of the Tou before your purchase or use of a pattern prior to making it for it to be binding.

The other problem with that is that there really are no official 'copyright police' in the crochet world. (Get into movies and music and they're everywhere). It comes down to a moral choice. Do you follow the designers wishes or do whatever you want? Only you can decide that for yourself. Some people refuse to purchase patterns from designers that do not allow sales of finished items. Some people don't care don't care either way.

Thanks for your replies. It doesn't actually say whether you can or cannot sell the pattern. It just says at the back

'All rights reserved. This publication is protected under federal copyright laws. Reproduction or distribution of this publication or any other .... publication. This includes, but is not linited to any form of reproduction or distribution on or through the internet, including posting, scanning or email transmission.'

So does that mean just about selling or copying the pattern. Not including what you made?

Archived