Staple Yarns?

goldengirl

Hi! I'm fairly new to using yarns, and I'm really confused by all the varieties out there!

I started with Caron One Pounders, which I hated working with (too thick and twine-y), but my blanket came out very nice after washing. I also bought a bunch of Caron Simply Soft and Lion Brand Pound of Love to test out. I like the feel of CSS, but it's fuzzing as I'm working on it, which is disconcerting. I like PoL as well, but don't like the color range.

I've also tried a wool blend (Caron Country) to make a pair of gloves, and I love them! I used to avoid wool because it made me itch, but this yarn doesn't at all.

Anyway, before I make any more yarn orders, I'd like to know what your staple yarns are for afghans, clothes, and baby items? They don't have to be acrylic: I just started out with that because they seemed more versatile.

Thanks! :)

I Love This Yarn is by Hobby Lobby and it is pretty soft right off the skein, and it washes up wonderfully soft. CSS fuzzes up horribly after its washed, at least with what I've used it for. Red Heart Soft is nice as well, but like Simply Soft, it gets fuzzy after being washed in my experience. I try to stick to using RHSS for testing a pattern out before trying it with the project's chosen yarn, or for amigurumi.

I really like Washable Ewe (100% superwash wool) from the Stitch Nation line at Red Heart. They also have Bamboo Ewe (55% viscose from bamboo, 45% wool), Alpaca Love (80% wool, 20% alpaca) and then Full O' Sheep which is a fully feltable 100% wool.

But right now, my favorite acrylic (if cost isn't much of a concern) is Brava Worsted from KnitPicks. It is so nice and soft, has a good range across its 30 colors, and washes up great.

I like using a varity of yarns ... Caron pounders, Caron Simply Soft, Patons Lace, Red Heart Super Savor, Full O'Sheep, Red Heart Shimmer, Premier Yarn (Deborah Norville sock, chunky, and serinty garden), Homspun, and Bernat Super Vaue and Mosaic ... just to name a few (ok a lot) .... I love everything I have used over the years ... you just have to play with different yarns, sizes, and fiber content as everyone likes different things

It depends on what I am making and who is receiving it. I use RHSS, Vanna's choice,simply soft,RHLove, my favorite is a new yarn from knitpicks called Brava. It comes in 3 different weights and a great varity

of colors.

Thanks everyone! Looks like the general consensus I should just order a bunch of different ones and try them out!

I'm limited to buying online right now, so I can't go out and feel the yarn myself. I've been looking at yarn places online, but a lot of them seem fairly pricey (given that I just want to stash and play- no real list of projects that need yarn yet).

For ordering on line you can't beat Yarn and Thread by Lisa.

http://www.yarn-and-threadbylisa.biz/

She will work with you on any yarn you want to order, special order, good prices, incredible customer service, and very fair shipping charges. I can't recommend her highly enough.

I just received the Joann's newsletter and they're having 30% off all yarn and free shipping for purchases over $40. Coupon code USB42

why oh why did I have to see this... lol

I like to use Bernat Satin and Red Heart Soft for most items, but when it comes to wanting to use a larger variety of colors and variegateds, I'll use Red Heart Super Saver (as long as I can find skeins that aren't "too" scratchy).

For items that are for me, Bernat Bamboo is probably my current favorite. I made myself a scarf recently and I LOVE how it feels against my skin. I also have two skeins of a bamboo/silk blend in my craft room waiting for the perfect project.

I've wanted to try the I Love This Yarn from Hobby Lobby but the closest HL is almost an hour away and in a direction that we rarely go.

Looks like I'm having a large Joann haul! I'm quite curious about bamboo blends, so I think I'll try out Bernat! I'm looking for something to make a shawl with.

I really want to try I Love This Yarn as well, but they don't seem to have any stores in the Bay Area. =(

Archived