teapot

Needle length

Hi. I was going to attempt a afghan with cables. It calls for a size 6mm 36" long. Could this be attempted on a 29 " needle or would that be too cramped?

I would think if it calls for 36" that you really need that length. How wide is the afghan? I know you can get 10-12 more inches onto the needle than the needle length, at least when working in the round because i have done that. I don't know what the rule of thumb is for needle length in relation to project width.

Well I probably need the 36 inch needles. Not sure about the length of the afghan. It was the blue cabled afghan in the red heart patterns.

aren't afghans usually worked flat? i don't understand why you would need to knit the afghan on circular needles instead of straight needles......

aren't afghans usually worked flat? i don't understand why you would need to knit the afghan on circular needles instead of straight needles......

That is because the number of stitches to complete an afghan will not fit on regular needles you need the length of the cable to accomodate all the stitches. My sister who is a much better knitter than me assures me that circular needles are not just for circles. you can knit flat pieces you just dont have to worry about dropping a needle on the floor when they are attached to each other.

Do you use KnitPicks needles? If you do, they sell connectors to put two shorter cables together into a longer one. They work very well.

That is because the number of stitches to complete an afghan will not fit on regular needles you need the length of the cable to accomodate all the stitches. My sister who is a much better knitter than me assures me that circular needles are not just for circles. you can knit flat pieces you just dont have to worry about dropping a needle on the floor when they are attached to each other.

This is so true. And also, by working on Circulars, it brings some of the weight off the wrists. I love to work on Circs, both for flat projects and in the round projects.

And if the pattern calls for a 36 inch needle, it usually means to have that size. You can go longer, say a 40 inch, but a smaller needle would be too crowded with stitches.

:manyheart

I love my circulars. I do premie baby blanket on straight needles. But I prefer to do regular size baby blankets on circulars. As CLLinda mentioned, I like how they're easier on my wrists.

However, I find that I can go a bit smaller in cable length. I am currently doing a baby blanket with a smaller cable that is about 4-inches shorter than called for. Maybe THIS particular project fits comfortably on my circular because it is done on size 11, leaving a quite loose loop on the cable. The stitches aren't crammed on, either. I have plenty of room. That's probably NOT the norm, though.

I recently purchased the KnitPicks interchangeable set. I absolutely love them and wish I had gotten them sooner. The needles connect smoothly to the cable ~ just be sure to tighten them good! ~ and they are a joy to work with. If you don't want to get the set at once, you can purchase only the parts you need separately. (I don't think you will be disappointed IF you wind up having to buy them.)

... Best wishes to you, teapot!!! :manyheart

I love my circulars. I do premie baby blanket on straight needles. But I prefer to do regular size baby blankets on circulars. As CLLinda mentioned, I like how they're easier on my wrists.

However, I find that I can go a bit smaller in cable length. I am currently doing a baby blanket with a smaller cable that is about 4-inches shorter than called for. Maybe THIS particular project fits comfortably on my circular because it is done on size 11, leaving a quite loose loop on the cable. The stitches aren't crammed on, either. I have plenty of room. That's probably NOT the norm, though.

I recently purchased the KnitPicks interchangeable set. I absolutely love them and wish I had gotten them sooner. The needles connect smoothly to the cable ~ just be sure to tighten them good! ~ and they are a joy to work with. If you don't want to get the set at once, you can purchase only the parts you need separately. (I don't think you will be disappointed IF you wind up having to buy them.)

... Best wishes to you, teapot!!! :manyheart

Knipicks also has a set of three needles, *=(6,7, and 8) of the different kinds of needle tips (wooden, plastic and metal) for about $20. It's a good starter set because it comes with cables, connector pins, and end stoppers so that you can try out the different kinds of needles and then order the whole set in what you like best. I did that and I really like the wooden ones. It's a good way to try things out.

:manyheart

o ok thank you :clap

I do just about everything on circulars.

Once I tried it and felt how the weight was evenly distributed I was hooked and cringe when I have to use straights.