HomekeepingGran

New Crochet Medium: Glass

Our own Miss Crochet's blog has a link to a blog which has a link to an amazing artist: Catherine Carr crochets in glass, folks! Take a look at her gallery. If you go to her home page from there you can read a tiny bit about how she does it. And yes, her grandma taught her to crochet!

Well call me confused. You cannot knit or crochet with molten glass. And the statement that each item is made by hand and then goes through several firings to become a fully-formed glassed vessel indicates to me that she is actually crocheting with another medium that is treated to *become* glass. Which is still very cool... :)

Beautiful work! I'm confused at how she does it too....

Well call me confused. You cannot knit or crochet with molten glass. And the statement that each item is made by hand and then goes through several firings to become a fully-formed glassed vessel indicates to me that she is actually crocheting with another medium that is treated to *become* glass. Which is still very cool... :)

It says that she uses recycled glass products, so maybe thread made from glass?

But that is SO neat!!!

Actually, I am thinking thread that gets treated afterward with silica, or something similar, that becomes glass when fired. But my guess is that she makes her doilies first out of thread...just like the rest of us. However, unlike the rest of us, she turns her doilies into magic. :)

Check out the third paragraph on this page. As I suspected, it sounds like the doily is turned into glass after it's made.

How do people think of that? So awe-inspiring... :manyheart

Well, Maggie Weldon does the doilies into ceramic bowls. I've seen lace chairs that have been coated with some kind of clear plastic. It just amazes me - some of the things that people come up with.

Her work is beautiful and I LOVE the way she did the pictures of it.

Wow that's really awesome. Its something unique, for sure.