If You Give Crochetville A Mascot......

What type of mascot would you like Crochetville to have?  

90 members have voted

1. 1. What type of mascot would you like Crochetville to have?

• Alpaca
    • Sheep
    • Bunny
    • L'il Dippy: HUGE custom hook made by Jimbo
    • Muskox (qiviut)
    • Cat
    • Dog
    • Unicorn
    • Other (please post your idea in the thread)
    • Nothing: a mascot is a silly idea

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I immediately thought of a spider with 4 legs up in the air, crocheting 2 items at the same time, and 2 different colored strands of yarn dribble down to the balls of yarn on the floor in front of it.

I didn't vote, although I thought several of the animals on the list were cute. If I did vote, I think I would have either chosen "bunny" or "no mascot".

If there is a mascot (which I have nothing against) I'd definitely prefer real-life animals (instead of something cartoonish or animated).

Ravelry's Bob is super cute and fun to have around, but I think (unless I'm mistaken) he was there from the beginning and for some reason that makes him a more natural fit for Ravelry. I don't think of C'ville as needing a mascot.

Just my two cents...

From my viewpoint, a mascot should be something that is integral to the site, some visual reference that has been there from the beginning that people associate with Crochetville. The hook has always been a unique identifier for this forum, and reflects the essence of the site better than additional logos or mascots could.

Second!

I'm mostly with Darski and Roli on this one. I really don't think the ville needs a mascot.

On the other hand - I think the cartoon alpaca with the go-to bag is a cute idea. I just don't know how many people would realize it's a play on words.

I didn't vote either.

I am okay with a mascot. Or not.

For those saying they thought the hook was the mascot, to me it's just part of the logo.

Like Ravelry's red ball of yarn is part of the logo but Bob is the mascot. LOL

If we have one, I'd rather it not be a real animal.

I agree about not using sheep or other cliche and used too much animals.

Can anybody draw? If you can, want to take a stab at drawing a ball/skein of yarn crocheting? Or our hook crocheting?

Hmmm, maybe we could turn our hook into a character. What crochet or fiber adventures could The Hook get up to? :hook

Anybody want to make up a story about The Hook? :lol

Now Dippy's cute, Jimbo! Hmmm, wonder if I can convince the dh to set up his inherited woodworking tools and make me a humongous hook like that?

Then my sister and I can stain it "Crochetville blue" and add some wire arms and hands, so it can hold its own crochet hook. We could take pictures with a yarn skein stretched around its arms, and give it lots of personality! But I'd want mine small enough to take in a suitcase so it could travel to conferences with me! Hmmm, the arms might have to be detachable, in that case!

We should ask Jimbo if Dippy would consider being the official mascot of Crochetville.

Dippy's probably Jimbo's mascot, and I wouldn't want to overwork him so he's too tired to crochet! :D But maybe Dippy's got a brother or sister or cousin who's looking for a job. :crocheting

I'll talk to his agent, and see what he says. Tween you and me, though, he's WAY too heavy for a suitcase. Plus he's been on the road since his trip was to Texas for a photo shoot with Interweave Crochet for the Accessories issue (did you see him there?). Well that was just fine, but Dippy and his packaging weighed almost 35lbs and his shipping package (a 1' x 5' tube) was a real challenge to handle. So you're right, Amy, as honored as he'd be to be in your company, he would be a real problem to handle.... not to mention his ego.

Twer me, Amy, I'd go with sweet talking your woodworking hubby into making a smaller version. Alternatively, I'd be happy to make a suitcase size nephew and send him down for your sister to finish.

Twer me, Amy, I'd go with sweet talking your woodworking hubby into making a smaller version. Alternatively, I'd be happy to make a suitcase size nephew and send him down for your sister to finish.

Really, really, you'll make us one? That would be so cool! And you'd probably do a much better (and much faster!) job than hubby could, since it's been so long since he's used the big tools.

I'll send you a PM so we can work out arrangements and payment info. :) I don't want our version to be TOO heavy, and I have no clue how much a suitcase-sized hook would weigh, so I'll leave that up to you. It won't have to be the full length of a suitcase if that would make it too heavy.

If you want to carve or woodburn or somehow get a signature on the hook, that would be great, too! And of course, we'll have to have a thread all about the finished hook, with links back to your site so people can see all your other fabulous hooks. :crocheting

For anyone who missed it, you can see Dippy in all his glory on page 82 of the 2011 special issue of Interweave Crochet Accessories. There's also a very nice full-page article on Jimbo (the man who's too modest to tell you all about it himself!) on page 99.

Okay, everyone! If Jimbo can make us a Dippy's little sibling, should it remain natural-colored or be Crochetville blue? Or some other color?

Are you kidding me!? For the 'Ville? For YOU? I'd make an aircraft carrier. Already getting ideas. I'd be tickled to do it, if a biggish hook is what everyone would like, and if your sis is game to do the painting and limbs.

You have to be careful with 3-D, as there are some of us who would not be able to see it in 3-D.

Silly me, I'm so behind the times. I wasn't thinking the causes-headaches-need-funny-glasses-3D, I just meant illustrated with shading to look like a real hook instead of a flat black outline :hook

I'm liking the mini-Dippy idea...

Archived