Purse Linings

RocketCityMama

Question

Ok I made a purse, it's an off white color and I need to line it. What color fabric do you all recommend? I was thinking something light color but not nec. white or off white. Would a pop of color look OK? I've never done this before, it's the 1st purse I've made and it's a gift so I want it to look nice.

The pattern is a cluster type, 3dc,3s,3dc etc so there are quite a few "holes" to see through.

Any advice on the best way to line, would be wonderful as well!

Thanks!

6 answers to this question

If the lining is going to be seen through from the outside, I would definitely use color. I would use a solid color that's bright or dark. If you know the recipient's favorite color, you're all set. If you don't know, I'd probably use brown or black.

Personally, I wouldn't prefer brown or black. It also depends if this would be an everyday purse or something a little dressier. A beige or toast would be nice and neutral. If you want a burst of color you can use yellow, red or green etc. If you like something darker maybe a royal or navy blue would look nice.

I'm thinking if it's supposed to be something that will possibly used daily then go more neutral tones that way it will match whatever they're wearing. If it's meant to be more fun and cute then I would use something with a nice pop of color. Maybe a nice blue or pink. I have a really nice purse that is a tan on the outside but when you open it, it has a nice rich blue color. It's so pretty.

What type of handles does it have? If the handles are going to be wood, I'd go with a anything from a medium tan to a darker brown. If the handles are white/offwhite plastic, I'd probably go something in the beige department... if they are gold, then perhaps something richer like a deep blue or rich royal purple.

Thanks for the ideas :)

It's going to have a single brown "leather" purse strap. I put some random fabric I have in it just to see how much color there would be, and it was fairly muted, even though the colors are bright. I may go with a pop of color. The recipient is unknown, it's a craft swap, so I am just trying to go with something I think most people would like.

Archived