Uptown sweater by Dora Ohrenstein CAL (or anything else from her book Custom Crocheted Sweaters)

Amy

Join me in making the Uptown sweater--or any other pattern--from Dora Ohrenstein's fabulous new book, Custom Crocheted Sweaters. (See my book review here.)

uptown.jpg

Custom Crocheted Sweaters: Make Garments that Really Fit, by Dora Ohrenstein (Username: Crochet Insider; Crochet Insider website)

Click here to buy paperback version: $15.95 ($22.95 list price)

(Link to the book goes through Crochetville's Amazon Associates program.)

Published by Lark Crafts

dora.customesweaters.jpg

All photos © 2012 Lark Crafts and photographer Scott Jones. All rights reserved. Used with permission.

I will be making Uptown in size small, but lowering the neckline depth by 3" front and back and adding about 3" to the front width (but not the back) to accommodate my bust. I'm using KnitPicks Gloss DK, a blend of wool and silk, in the color Fairy Tale.

If you'd like to make one of the sweaters from her book, come join us for the CAL. If you want to make adjustments, we can all help each other figure out how to do that based on the alteration lessons Dora provides in the book.

As we go along, I'm hoping I may be able to get Dora herself to drop by once or twice. She doesn't have a lot of spare time, but I'm sure she'd be interested to

Actually, that's not the real color! The real color is much more purple, at least the way it's showing up on my laptop screen. I'll try to get another pictuer tomorrow in natural lighting outside and see if it shows any more true-to-life.

I'm also not happy with the way the shoulders are sloping, so I'm experimenting with another way to do the neckline/shoulder part. I'll let everyone know if it works out.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Is this CAL still going on? :think

Finally broke down and got the book. Love all the sweaters, but looks like I'll have to make some major adjustments to the basic patterns. I don't think any go above 2X. (If I only didn't like food so much. :blush )

Using Dora's instructions, I don't think I'll have too much trouble adjusting. I'm somewhat of a math geek. But it's still scary.

Don't know what pattern I'll do first. Right now, my main project is DGD's Christmas present (a life-sized doll). I still have 8 months on that, and I'm well over half done. I also promised my daughter to make a winter hat for her fiance for Memorial Day. Dunno why he wants a winter hat for the middle of summer...especially since they live in the Deep South.

Archived