ever get bored while crocheting?

don't get me wrong, I love crochet, but some patterns call for a lot of stitches and a lot of rows in the same stitch and after a while, I get bored of that project. -_- Like the project I'm on now, its a skirt and the waist band is in sc, you do vertical rows to fit around your waist, that's a lot of rows in all sc, and i really want to finish this!!!

:crocheting sorry for this random smiley... i luv them

so i was wondering if anyone else has this problem of boredom while crocheting and if you have methods on how to ease your boredom while progressing thru your project?????????:think any suggestions???

no i havent been counting every stitch but, usually if i try to look away ill end up skipping a stitch, so anything that takes my eyes away would be out of the option, although i have tried watching tv and crocheting on commercial breaks, this helps a little... but i cant believe i didnt think of something as simple as listening to music!!!

Yeah, depending on the project I might get bored...when I'm working on something that can be quite tedious I have to make myself do x number of stitches or rows of stitches to get me thought it. I take more breaks, but I also have to get myself to pick up the hook again otherwise the project might never get done. One project took me over five months because of it's shawl collar and edging...very tedious and boring...but the end result was worth it. Another thing is if you are working on something that has endless rows of sc (or whatever stitch) take the time to maybe add stitch markers every so often and that can seem to mentally break up the work for you...just a suggestion.

I might try that, but yeah hats exactly what i have to do! I have to force myself, im like "self pick up the hook and do x number rows now before u can do anything else!" haha

anyone else have this problem????

I only allow myself to have up to 2 projects going at one time. If it is a small project, it is only 1 project (so I'll actually finish it). If I have a larger project like a blanket or something similar, I allow myself to start one smaller, easily completed project.

I find that if I take a small break from that longer project when it becomes tedious, whip something out quickly (got to love the feeling of getting a project finished) I am much less restless when returning to the longer project.

im working on a breast cancer ribbon afghan right now and it requires 10 squares with ribbon and 10 without...done 8 ribbon squares so far (have to count for this) then on to the dc squares x10...I will definantly get bored, but i push myself to finish. to the point that I haven't taken longer then one week to finish any of my afghans. Started crocheting just 3.5 weeks ago (self taught) and have finish 2 afghans already (large). I listen to t.v cause I have to watch what I'm doing too. And only work on each project 2-3hrs a day (work gets in my way):eek

well you all have made me feel so much better, I thought it was just me cuz I always get bored easily, but no I know its not! And Its gonna take me TONS of practice to be able to crochet without looking!!!!

well you all have made me feel so much better, I thought it was just me cuz I always get bored easily, but no I know its not! And Its gonna take me TONS of practice to be able to crochet without looking!!!!

Endless sc is the seventh circle of ****...actually, I like to listen to podcasts if I'm doing something repetitious. :manyheart

Oh I'm very easily bored. I usually have a minimum of 4 or 5 projects going at one time. I have a hard time doing large projects, especially when there's just one or two colors. So I do some ami or dishcloths and I do hats to break up the monotony of the afghan. Luckily, my current afghan is a pretty easy pattern, but I get to break up the colors and whatnot, so I'm not quite so bored. Its joining motifs that irritate me the most.

Endless sc is the seventh circle of ****...actually, I like to listen to podcasts if I'm doing something repetitious. :manyheart

During the day, I listen to podcasts. At night, like right now, I sit with my laptop on my legs and watch Netflix. Its right on the other side of my crochet so I can kind of actually still see what I'm doing while I watch :lol

Perhaps it's time to try something a little more involved. There's a gorgeous sqaure sampler ghan (can't think of the name of it right now) Each round or so is a different stitch so it doesn't get boring.

I LOVE to do round ripples. There's enough difference in the stitches to keep it interesting as well. They don't get too boring until they're about 5 feet across.

Of course I get bored :P I listen to music while I crochet, start up some 3-star-recommended movie (so I can watch the movie and crochet at the same time without getting too wrapped up in either LOL). I have several projects going at once and I bounce back and forth between knitting and crochet. I think when working on something really big, it helps to do something small in the middle (dishcloth, cowel, etc) so you have that feeling of accomplishment long before you finish the big project.

I get bored too. I always have a couple of projects going on. If I'm in my bedroom, I work on my scrap afghan. I can do that while watching my fav tv shows. The afghan is simple,it's like one big granny square. Downstairs next to my recliner, I'm currently working on clothes for 18 inch dolls. In my daycare, which is seperate from my personal living area, sometimes I will do some dishcloths, when the kids are napping or on rainy/really cold days when we can't go outside, and want to watch a movie. Dishcloths are quick and simple.

My mom does one project at a time. I don't know how she can do that.:)

don't get me wrong, I love crochet, but some patterns call for a lot of stitches and a lot of rows in the same stitch and after a while, I get bored of that project. -_- Like the project I'm on now, its a skirt and the waist band is in sc, you do vertical rows to fit around your waist, that's a lot of rows in all sc, and i really want to finish this!!!

so i was wondering if anyone else has this problem of boredom while crocheting and if you have methods on how to ease your boredom while progressing thru your project?????????:think any suggestions???

Most of my crocheting consists of making multiple motifs in multiple colors into an afghan -- whether for a baby, child, or adult. So I rarely get bored. A crocheted sampler, with each square different, is a great way to learn new stitches and have lots of variety. If there's something I have to pay close attention to, I do it during commercial breaks, and do the simpler things and weaving in ends during the shows (on the rare occasions that they're interesting enough to focus on!). I hardly ever make a one-piece, back-and-forth afghan, because -- even though they can be beautiful -- I get bored silly.

Not really. I listen to podcasts, music or a audio book or I'll put a movie on. I guess I do get tired of working on a long project. I typically have 3 or 4 going at once now, so If I'm feeling tired of one, I'll switch and work on another.

Even though I do a lot of single crochet, I always have a lot of different projects going at any given time, so a lot of patterns and colors.

One thing that's great during crochet is to listen to books on tape. My friend across the hall has tons of these, so we pop in a mystery or adventure while she tats and I crochet. I don't know if there are books on CD or DVD. I'm presuming there are. It's much easier to crochet and listen, than it is to crochet and watch a show.

I was asked to make my three little nephews pillowpals. I'm getting bored. I keep switching between each hoping different colours help. It don't. I have told myself they need to be finished before I start the mystery CAL.

• 4 months later...

Yes, I definately understand about getting bored...

So I make up my own patterns ...

I love making crocheted skirts and I make up the pattern as I go like a sampler separated by one row of DC and 4 rows of mesh and the one row of DC then When I get to the knew or whatever length I want I ad a pineapple, fan or what ever that I have done in doilies..... fun and never boring.

Have fun with you crocheting

For that very reason, most of what I crochet now is motif afghans, very often with every square or hexagon different if not in design, then at least different colored. The least boring one I've made is a floral sampler, where I made myself come up with a different flower for almost every square and often had to square them off myself if the pattern didn't call for it. Right now, I'm on my second sampler made up of 12" squares, using leftover neutral colors of yarn. Each square is a different pattern, some are solid color and some are made up of several colors. Stashbusting with motif afghans is a great way to relieve the monotony. I am not capable any longer of making afghans where you crochet back and forth in the same stitch over and over. I don't know if this suggestion helps or not.

Yup, it happens. I get distracted and or something else catches my eye, so I'll start that --- I've got so many projects going on right now it is ridiculous! I eventually get back to things, often changing the original project into something else - creative liberty I guess?

When I have to do something very repetitive, I like to multi-task. I'll watch TV, read a book, surf the net, text, talk on the phone, listen to music, crochet while talking with others/ hanging out with others, etc...

Yup, normal, at least for crazy people like me - haha!

Archived