Did you see Martha's poncho show?

pb&j

Just saw Martha's poncho show. Everyone there except one guy was wearing their ponchos. Lots of creative colors! Lily Chin was there crocheting ponchos for Martha's dogs! :lol A good day for crochet!:heart

I just watched the show too. My first time watching the Martha Show and I enjoyed it. I love the ponchos. Now I want one! I am confused though..........I thought Lisa Gentry was the fastest crocheter? I like that Cookie Monster learned that cookies are sometime foods.:lol

I thought Lisa Gentry was the fastest crocheter as well....infact thought they just competed a few weeks ago :think ANd Lily Chin was yelling trying to shake LG...didn't I read that?

I think Lisa Gentry is the fastest crocheter. I believe both Lisa and Lily have won separate competitions but when they competed head to head, Lisa Gentry won.

I didn't see the whole show (I need to watch the first half on Tivo), so I don't know if Lily was billed as the fastest crocheter.

I made a Martha poncho in brown for myself and black for my mother. They stitch up pretty quick. ;)

In the last "Talking Crochet" newsletter, they made a big deal about how Lisa's title from the Guiness Book wasn't the same as Lilly's title from the Craft Yarn Council :think Sounded very sour grapes to me (on Lilly Chin's part....)

Note that the Guinness World Records title "World's Fastest Crocheter" is totally separate from the Craft Yarn Council of America and British Hand Knitting Confederation "World's Fastest Crocheter" title; but both are held in high esteem by the U.S. and U.K. knitting and crochet associations. The latter title includes very specific competition qualifications that all contestants must abide by, such as a standardized stitch requirement (double crochet, starting with 20 stitches and a foundation row of 23 chains), hook size (J, 6mm), yarn type (worsted weight), and a three-minute time span.

It was specifically to compete with Lily Chin for the Craft Yarn Council of America and British Hand Knitting Confederation title that Lisa came to the FiberArts Market in Oakland. There, in open trials, she entered several times, recording her fastest score of 107 stitches in three minutes. On Friday, July 22, Lisa and Lily mugged for ABC local channel 7 cameras in a friendly competition show-off, which Lisa won. Lily laughingly called out, "Best two out of three!"

Until finals in 2006, each contestant vows to continue entering trial scores. At least two more trials events are scheduled by the FiberArts Market/Knit & Crochet Show and there may be other trials recognized by the Craft Yarn Council of America. In ongoing competitions it will be exciting to see if Lisa's 107 stitch score is broken by Lily, Lisa or other trials contestants

Please do not think I am a Lily Chin basher but I have been gathering all the info and to be totally fair I have not heard yet from the Craft Yarn Council or the British Hand knitting guild. I am trying to get to the bottom of this but so far I have been unable to find out exactly WHO said Lily Chin was the Worlds Fastest crocheter ??? With just all the information I have, with proof, right now, I am going to stick to my original article www.bellaonline.com/site/crochet Lily Chin is the winner of the TIME TRIALS, Lisa Gentry is the WORLD'S FASTEST CROCHETER. I did speak yesterday with offinger who manages the cgoa and they said the same explanation, which I am not buying. It does sound like sour grapes, but rest assured if I am able to, I will get everyones side to this and put it all together. You know this may very well be a case of Mis-Use of a title, meaning that all along Lily Chin may have been the winner of time trials and somewhere along the line someone may have said "gee I bet you are the fastest in the whole world" and the rumor stuck, so who knows.

I have not seen nor heard the cgoa aknowledge Lisa Gentry at all and that just isn't right, she beat Lily fair and square. Ok I'm getting off my soapbox now.:devil

Archived