first knitted project

chrissyf

I taught myself to knit this weekend. I taught myself to purl sort of...i knitted backwards. so tada my first knitted project completed a washcloth to keep my granddaughter's face clean after her messy meals.

it is wonky with loose stitches, tight stitches twisted stitches but it is mine and i did it!

post-9809-13589773061_thumb.jpg

Very nice!! I learned to knit and crochet in Home Ec. back in high school. But after I was out of school, I stayed with crocheting. I got back into knitting a few yrs. ago. Now I have a "kajillion" dishrags!! :eek:lol I've also been making 2 x 2 ribbed beanies. I just love the way the knit beanies "stretch"!! The only problem I have is that I can crochet a hat in a matter of hrs.........where a knit beanie takes me a day or two!! Or three!!

:clap Well done! Looks better than my swatches when I got back into knitting 2 years ago (learned as a kid, dropped it for, um, decades).

Pssst--I think this site might help you with your purling, it looks like you are twisting your stitches accidently which is actually harder (more effort to shove the needle into the stitch to twist the stitch). It looks like you are purling the German/Russian/Eastern way, which is more comfortable IMHO, but mounts the stitches differently on the needle and you need to know how to read your stitches to avoid twisting. http://abundantyarn.wordpress.com/2010/03/22/ways-of-knitting-part-1-introduction-to-stitch-mount/ I wish someone had pointed this out to me earlier in my relearning efforts :)

:clap Well done! Looks better than my swatches when I got back into knitting 2 years ago (learned as a kid, dropped it for, um, decades).

Pssst--I think this site might help you with your purling, it looks like you are twisting your stitches accidently which is actually harder (more effort to shove the needle into the stitch to twist the stitch). It looks like you are purling the German/Russian/Eastern way, which is more comfortable IMHO, but mounts the stitches differently on the needle and you need to know how to read your stitches to avoid twisting. http://abundantyarn.wordpress.com/2010/03/22/ways-of-knitting-part-1-introduction-to-stitch-mount/ I wish someone had pointed this out to me earlier in my relearning efforts :)

Actually i am not "purling" at all according to my "teacher" my sister...I never turn my work and just knit backwards. I plan on goig back after my curret try and try to follow those directions...I already bookmarked the site earlier this morning to give it a go on the next dishcloth, which will come after i make my scarf.

Archived