Etimo Hooks

kathome

Lately I've been experiencing pain while crocheting (OH NO!!!!!:eek) I was considering the purchase of the Etimo brand of hook, but can't seem to find whether they are inline or tapered hooks.

Also, has anyone used the Etimo steel hooks? I'm a devoted threadie as well.

Thanks in advance.

They are my favorite hooks! I'm sorry but I don't know the difference between the 2 so if you can explain, I can answer! :lol

The tapered ones are, well, tapered. They are the Boye hooks.

The inline are like the Susan Bates. I've always been a Boye girl. :)

I'm a Boye girl, too, and I love my new Tulip Etimo hooks that Santa brought me! I've noticed I'm much more relaxed working with them, no aching hands, they are so easy to hold on to, I'd never go back to working with my old hooks again.

I recently bought one of those magnifiers that hangs from a string around my neck... between the magnifier and the new hooks, I can make a snowflake in just a few minutes. Even while working on doilies, I've noticed my crocheting speed has greatly increased... not that this is a big deal, but it's nice to see the rounds add up without the aching hands that usually go along with it.

The blue and white striped cloth case is the same high quality as the hooks, so cute, and the little pair of scissors are nicely made, too, not cheapy ones like I was expecting to be in a kit. Each hook has a plastic tube endcap, and there is a small ruler and a couple of needles for weaving in ends, all nicely made.

This set is pricey, but I have so enjoyed working with thread the last month since I received it, probably have made a dozen snowflakes and 5 or 6 doilies, along with adding a dainty edge to a baby's sweater, hat and booties. I'm looking forward to adding the edge on some hankies, still looking for just the right pattern.

My Tulip hooks are the best thing, ever, that I've added to my crochet toolbox, I'd recommend them to anyone that enjoys working with thread. They make working with thread and tiny steel hooks so much more enjoyable.

Kathome, after I wrote all these wonderful and loving things about my new tulip etimo hooks this morning I did get to thinking as I was working on another doily... I've been noticing that these hooks seemed to be tiny, thus prompting me to buy the magnifier I mentioned above. I figured my eyes just didn't work so well on these cloudy winter days and I couldn't see my work. I poked around in my old hooks and found these were sized different than Boye hooks... I found a blurb about it in a comment on the Amazon site and thought you might want to read it before spending $50 for this set.

Check this... http://www.amazon.com/review/R1XKKEV0GISE88/ref=cm_cr_pr_viewpnt#R1XKKEV0GISE88

I seldom pay much attention to the size hook I'm using for doilies, I use whatever feels good with the thread I'm using, but I compared my old #8 to the Tulip hook I'm using today and there is quite a difference.

I still love working with these hooks for the past 3 weeks, but I'm disappointed that the sizing on them is so different than what I'm used to. Seems the size 8 I'm working with today is actually equal to a Boye 13/14. No wonder I couldn't see!! egads. That's a big difference in size if I was concerned about gauge. I have noticed these recent doilies were smaller than I expected but never put it together that it was the hook I was using, as I usually start with the 8 and switch it up or down from there.

What do you gals think about this???

I still love working with these hooks for the past 3 weeks, but I'm disappointed that the sizing on them is so different than what I'm used to. Seems the size 8 I'm working with today is actually equal to a Boye 13/14. No wonder I couldn't see!! egads. That's a big difference in size if I was concerned about gauge. I have noticed these recent doilies were smaller than I expected but never put it together that it was the hook I was using, as I usually start with the 8 and switch it up or down from there.

What do you gals think about this???

You may find the information in my blog re Steel Hook Sizing helpful.

I have not compared *every* manufacturer, but it appears that the country of origin makes a significant difference in the diameter "assigned" to a size.

HTH

Wheat

You may find the information in my blog re Steel Hook Sizing helpful.

I have not compared *every* manufacturer, but it appears that the country of origin makes a significant difference in the diameter "assigned" to a size.

Wheat, Your chart explains the sizing well, thanks for posting this link. I guess I'll have to pay more attention to the metric size instead of the number. I've only had these hooks for a short while, mostly just playing around with them and to be quite honest the sizes printed on the handle are so teeny, I never noticed the printing until I started using the magnifyer...lol.

Just an FYI, I spent the better part of an afternoon and evening the other day poking around on your site, It's all just String from a link I followed in a little Ad at the top of a page here at the 'ville. You have so many wonderful things! I only read thru a few of your most recent blog posts, but plan to go back to check out more soon. Great things you have, both yarn and thread, and so much info to learn, too!!!

Thanks for all the info on the size difference. I almost always use a size 7 Boye which, according to the chart, the closest would be a size 1 in the Tulip.

VERY INTERESTING and not something I ever would have thought of. I have always used my Boyes.

I bought one and then gave it to my fiance because I can't STAND the rough feeling handle. I love my bamboo handled Susan Bates better. I am a VERY tactile person,certain magazine covers give me the willies as well,they have a weird rough surface,plus at $10 each just not worth it to me.

Archived