Krakovianka

Mock painted doily: Shell

I started this relatively simple project long before Christmas, but ran out of the white crochet thread that is the base (size 20). I managed to procure another ball, but with the holidays, I just got too busy to finish it up. So now, it's my first finished project for 2012. :-) There are five pale, beach-toned shades of sewing thread worked together with the white size 20. It's not perfect--I can't seem to eliminate the stripey-ness, no matter how close my shades of thread--but overall, I'm happy with the effect. It seems very summery here in the dead of winter!

post-13065-1358977282_thumb.jpg

post-13065-135897728205_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

It is really nice. What size hook did you use?

:manyheart

(...) It's not perfect--I can't seem to eliminate the stripey-ness, no matter how close my shades of thread (...)

Sorry, I cannot agree with you - IT IS perfect! :hook

• Like 1

It is really nice. What size hook did you use?

:manyheart

I used a Boye size 9. (That's 1.4mm.) Adding two strands of sewing thread to the size 20 makes it a little thicker than 20...

pretty. it does evoke warm weather, with it's sea-shell like qualities.

What a great idea, and it came out lovely :manyheart I never could get comfortable corralling all the threads for a painted doily, I'll have to give your method a try!

Very beautiful and totally PERFECT! :)

Very nice.

It is just beautiful! I cannot work with anything smaller than size 10. I wish that concept would work with size 10. Probably not though. Again, it is beautiful!

Jolena, you can do something similar with size 10 thread. I usually only use a single strand of sewing thread with the crochet thread (I call this a "frosted" doily), but you buy closely-shaded threads and change them to create a shaded effect. Here's a picture of one I did last year.

When I use two strands of sewing thread, I prefer the thinner thread--size 20--but it is closer to size 10 than plain size 20 thread. Maybe like a 15. :) I change one color thread at a time in an attempt at more subtle color-play, and that's why I call it a "mock painted doily," since with a painted doily you use 3 strands of sewing thread and no base crochet thread at all. I played around with this a lot last summer, but I don't think I ever shared any of my experiments.

post-13065-135897728353_thumb.jpg

Thanks Karen for sharing your mock painted and frosted doilies. I love them both and it will not be long before I give them a try.

Stunning!

It's beautiful, Karen!