Mock painted doily: Shell

Krakovianka

I started this relatively simple project long before Christmas, but ran out of the white crochet thread that is the base (size 20). I managed to procure another ball, but with the holidays, I just got too busy to finish it up. So now, it's my first finished project for 2012. :-) There are five pale, beach-toned shades of sewing thread worked together with the white size 20. It's not perfect--I can't seem to eliminate the stripey-ness, no matter how close my shades of thread--but overall, I'm happy with the effect. It seems very summery here in the dead of winter!

post-13065-1358977282_thumb.jpg

post-13065-135897728205_thumb.jpg

(...) It's not perfect--I can't seem to eliminate the stripey-ness, no matter how close my shades of thread (...)

Sorry, I cannot agree with you - IT IS perfect! :hook

Jolena, you can do something similar with size 10 thread. I usually only use a single strand of sewing thread with the crochet thread (I call this a "frosted" doily), but you buy closely-shaded threads and change them to create a shaded effect. Here's a picture of one I did last year.

When I use two strands of sewing thread, I prefer the thinner thread--size 20--but it is closer to size 10 than plain size 20 thread. Maybe like a 15. :) I change one color thread at a time in an attempt at more subtle color-play, and that's why I call it a "mock painted doily," since with a painted doily you use 3 strands of sewing thread and no base crochet thread at all. I played around with this a lot last summer, but I don't think I ever shared any of my experiments.

post-13065-135897728353_thumb.jpg

Archived