When do you start Christmas Gifts?

So, I'm sitting here happily crocheting an Aran afghan :crocheting, DH says it looks complicated, and I tell him "delightfully so" :hook, he asks who it's for, I tell him it's for his sister for Christmas - :think - he looks at me like I've forgotten what month it is - :lol - I remind him that I prefer to do my afghans in winter and work with thread in the summer - he, very skeptically, agrees - Please assure me that I am not that odd :blush - Has anyone else started something for next Christmas? :P

I start stuff all the time for Christmas presents. You never know how long a project might actually take, especially if its a big one like an afghan, complicated, or requires lots of little pieces that have to be pieced together, and don't forget if something has to be blocked.

I have the afghans and blankets for the kids to do for Christmas, but my current goal, once the yarn arrives, will be a bed size afghan for my mother for Mother's Day. Yes, that's 4 months away, but I also know that I am not a speed crocheter and I get bored with working on just one project at a time.

Plus, afghans are hot in the summer, silly husband :lol Thread is much cooler :D

Normally I start by now. However due to circumstances of general rudeness I will only be making items for the three little girls in my family. They love the purses I make for them so I will be making new purses for them to carry their doll babies around in.

I completed two Christmas ornaments from a pattern DH bought me for 2011 Christmas to put in packages for next Christmas. (One family member likes hand made ornaments for her kids.) I make and shop year round. It is the only way I have time to get it all done.

I think that's very smart, actually. I never really thought of that. But I agree with Amibel, you don't know how long something will take and you don't want to have to rush through a project. I don't think your odd at all!

I have always started for "next Christmas" as soon as i finish "this Christmas" generally christmas day sometimes i am really on task and start the next year before all this years gifts are gifted. I have a large family and i like everyone to have a handmade gift from me.

• 2 weeks later...

I work on Christmas stuff all year...whenever I come across a pattern that I know will be good for someone, I'll start it. Right before Christmas this year I started on a shawl for my mom for Next Christmas. I've barely worked on it, but I have a year...not too worried! I try to make "scrubbies" all year so I have enough to give out. And whatever else. This year my cousin has asked me to make the same owl purse that I made her, for a friend of hers. So I'll start that soon. I don't think it's odd at all!

Archived