whitneyallison

Do you identify your hooks by color?

If I'm reading a pattern and it calls for an H hook I think to myself "oh that's my yellow hook" or if it calls for an N "that's the bronze hook". I'm working on an afghan right now and if I lost my hook I wouldn't be able to tell you what size it was without looking at the pattern (I looked, it's an I) I just know it's the green hook. Does anyone else do this?

Wow ~ you're good! :)... I recently purchased a set of rosewood crochet hooks. Since they all look the same, except for the tip, I have to look. :hook

Wow ~ you're good! :)... I recently purchased a set of rosewood crochet hooks. Since they all look the same, except for the tip, I have to look. :hook

I call it my inner rain man. I've got an incredible memory and strange ways of remembering things. Of course I can't remember where I put my car keys but I can tell you what color my crochet hooks are.

No, I have to look I have several sets of hooks, I have sorted them all into seperate containers, Ds with Ds, Gs with Gs and so on.

I use the Susan Bates w/bamboo handle hooks and yes, I do recognize them by color! Blue is my H, Pink my I, Gold my J, Green my K! The G is lavender. The L, M, and N hooks I just recognize by the size of the hook!

I have various hook sets. I have the clover soft touch these are all the same color. I have knit pro crochet hooks from England. These are wood

and each hook as a mix of colors. I have some beautiful hand made hooks in maple wood. I have to look to see the letters or metric size on each.:yarn

Yeah, unless I need something bigger than J or I'm working with thread, I use the Clover Soft Touch which are all entirely a gold color :lol So I have to look at the head and the markings. But like Joanne, I have the Bates bamboo handled hooks too and can recognize them by color. Irritated the crap out of me when I was doing my mother's hooded scarf with the H hook with Red Heart Soft teal because the yarn almost perfectly matched the hook color :lol

I call it my inner rain man. I've got an incredible memory and strange ways of remembering things. Of course I can't remember where I put my car keys but I can tell you what color my crochet hooks are.

:thinkI am still missing a set of keys from November.... and it's not just like one key..it's about 15 of them! not exactly a small wad of keys!

I use the Susan Bates w/bamboo handle hooks and yes, I do recognize them by color! Blue is my H, Pink my I, Gold my J, Green my K! The G is lavender. The L, M, and N hooks I just recognize by the size of the hook!

want some more? I have about 3 of them. I don't like them as they don't fit how I hold my hook. I much prefer the clover hooks

Yeah, unless I need something bigger than J or I'm working with thread, I use the Clover Soft Touch which are all entirely a gold color :lol So I have to look at the head and the markings. But like Joanne, I have the Bates bamboo handled hooks too and can recognize them by color. Irritated the crap out of me when I was doing my mother's hooded scarf with the H hook with Red Heart Soft teal because the yarn almost perfectly matched the hook color :lol

http://www.amazon.com/Clover-Reflections-Crochet-Hook-Large/dp/B000WV05J8/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1326950212&sr=8-2 check these out for the projects that need the larger soft touch hook! :cheer:cheer

:thinkI am still missing a set of keys from November.... and it's not just like one key..it's about 15 of them! not exactly a small wad of keys!

want some more? I have about 3 of them. I don't like them as they don't fit how I hold my hook. I much prefer the clover hooks

Oh, I'd love them and they seem to work the best for me. I tried the clover hooks and they don't fit me comfortably the way I hold my hook!

I have a great big coffee mug full of hooks sitting on my end table. So - yeah - I usually grab it by color too.

I do. I have two sets of hooks and each set has a different texture so I pick my hook by color. I use my matte hooks for slippery yarn and my shiney hooks for general acrylic yarn. I also have a G and I hook in the clover soft touch and I use those for time consuming projects like baby afghans. I need to get an H size one to complete the last of my squares for my own baby blanket. Lol I got hooked on the clover hooks they are so comfortable.

I do. I keep my hooks in a demin zippered bag that I embroidered. I can just look in and grab the color of a hook I need.

Yes, my husband knows I'm a nut. He goes what hook I'll be blue. HAHA. Oh and i have one J with a wooden handle...yeah that's an easy one to identify. :) I love all the colors. If I had to use hooks that were all the same color I would go nuts!

I use the clover hooks as well but i ahve run into a problem...i use them so much that the size markings are coming off...solution i have used a sharp needle to "engrave" the sizes on the handles. i do know that my E is the one my dog chewed the handle of and DH bent my C hook almost to breaking it off the handle...note to self replace it when i can and never let DH use hook to fix granddaughter's car seat again.

This is me too. I know some people try to get a different color than the yarn they are working with, but now that SB is pretty much size by color, it's kind of harder to do.

I was making a purple potholder and had a hard time using a purple hook. It was just driving me a bit crazy.

:manyheart

I recognize all but my smallest hooks by size, shape, and color combined. Mostly because try are all thrown into one container!

I have more than one set (well a bunch of other misc hooks) but I usually grab my red 'F' hook when I need my favorite hook.

Reneeann, what type containers do you use to organize your hooks? I've tried a few different cases and don't like any of them.

I like to use the Clover soft touch and I had the problem that I have worn the letters off of my hooks, they are all the same color.. and I am no good at just looking... So what is one to do but use a Sharpie marker and put the letter of the hook back on and then I painted them all in different nail polish colors.. I can still see the letter under the polish and they are now color coded and the letter is protected from rubbing off.. Call me trailer trash Barbie but it works.. I do see a new set has come out that is color coded and am eying them too.. :hook I used to have the Addi colored hooks but snapped every single one in half doing my amigurumi since I do it so tight... I loved them hooks too..

Edited by Cotton Candee

I recognize mine by color. They are the Boye hooks and I keep them in the Denise organizer.

I have more than one set (well a bunch of other misc hooks) but I usually grab my red 'F' hook when I need my favorite hook.

My F is a fav too! Only mine is blue with the color worn off in the central part by the thumb rest. I have alot of hooks, and many are similar in color

I keep my steel hooks in one case I made from a CD case with a zipper. A crocheted case holds hooks larger than G. A regular store bought hook case holds my B thru G hooks, and a material roll up case holds knitting needles and afghan hooks. I keep them in mmsize within each case.

My F is a fav too! Only mine is blue with the color worn off in the central part by the thumb rest.

The color is worn off in places of my 'F' hook also.

I have far too many hooks to ever think about identifying them solely by color. I can however look at a hook and usually know what size it is by sight, which is a good thing these days because I can barely read the tiny writing on the smaller hooks! :hook