Do you identify your hooks by color?

If I'm reading a pattern and it calls for an H hook I think to myself "oh that's my yellow hook" or if it calls for an N "that's the bronze hook". I'm working on an afghan right now and if I lost my hook I wouldn't be able to tell you what size it was without looking at the pattern (I looked, it's an I) I just know it's the green hook. Does anyone else do this?

Wow ~ you're good! :)... I recently purchased a set of rosewood crochet hooks. Since they all look the same, except for the tip, I have to look. :hook

I call it my inner rain man. I've got an incredible memory and strange ways of remembering things. Of course I can't remember where I put my car keys but I can tell you what color my crochet hooks are.

I use the Susan Bates w/bamboo handle hooks and yes, I do recognize them by color! Blue is my H, Pink my I, Gold my J, Green my K! The G is lavender. The L, M, and N hooks I just recognize by the size of the hook!

I have various hook sets. I have the clover soft touch these are all the same color. I have knit pro crochet hooks from England. These are wood

and each hook as a mix of colors. I have some beautiful hand made hooks in maple wood. I have to look to see the letters or metric size on each.:yarn

Yeah, unless I need something bigger than J or I'm working with thread, I use the Clover Soft Touch which are all entirely a gold color :lol So I have to look at the head and the markings. But like Joanne, I have the Bates bamboo handled hooks too and can recognize them by color. Irritated the crap out of me when I was doing my mother's hooded scarf with the H hook with Red Heart Soft teal because the yarn almost perfectly matched the hook color :lol

I call it my inner rain man. I've got an incredible memory and strange ways of remembering things. Of course I can't remember where I put my car keys but I can tell you what color my crochet hooks are.

:thinkI am still missing a set of keys from November.... and it's not just like one key..it's about 15 of them! not exactly a small wad of keys!

I use the Susan Bates w/bamboo handle hooks and yes, I do recognize them by color! Blue is my H, Pink my I, Gold my J, Green my K! The G is lavender. The L, M, and N hooks I just recognize by the size of the hook!

want some more? I have about 3 of them. I don't like them as they don't fit how I hold my hook. I much prefer the clover hooks

Yeah, unless I need something bigger than J or I'm working with thread, I use the Clover Soft Touch which are all entirely a gold color :lol So I have to look at the head and the markings. But like Joanne, I have the Bates bamboo handled hooks too and can recognize them by color. Irritated the crap out of me when I was doing my mother's hooded scarf with the H hook with Red Heart Soft teal because the yarn almost perfectly matched the hook color :lol

http://www.amazon.com/Clover-Reflections-Crochet-Hook-Large/dp/B000WV05J8/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1326950212&sr=8-2 check these out for the projects that need the larger soft touch hook! :cheer:cheer

:thinkI am still missing a set of keys from November.... and it's not just like one key..it's about 15 of them! not exactly a small wad of keys!

want some more? I have about 3 of them. I don't like them as they don't fit how I hold my hook. I much prefer the clover hooks

Oh, I'd love them and they seem to work the best for me. I tried the clover hooks and they don't fit me comfortably the way I hold my hook!

I do. I have two sets of hooks and each set has a different texture so I pick my hook by color. I use my matte hooks for slippery yarn and my shiney hooks for general acrylic yarn. I also have a G and I hook in the clover soft touch and I use those for time consuming projects like baby afghans. I need to get an H size one to complete the last of my squares for my own baby blanket. Lol I got hooked on the clover hooks they are so comfortable.

Yes, my husband knows I'm a nut. He goes what hook I'll be blue. HAHA. Oh and i have one J with a wooden handle...yeah that's an easy one to identify. :) I love all the colors. If I had to use hooks that were all the same color I would go nuts!

I use the clover hooks as well but i ahve run into a problem...i use them so much that the size markings are coming off...solution i have used a sharp needle to "engrave" the sizes on the handles. i do know that my E is the one my dog chewed the handle of and DH bent my C hook almost to breaking it off the handle...note to self replace it when i can and never let DH use hook to fix granddaughter's car seat again.

This is me too. I know some people try to get a different color than the yarn they are working with, but now that SB is pretty much size by color, it's kind of harder to do.

I was making a purple potholder and had a hard time using a purple hook. It was just driving me a bit crazy.

:manyheart

• 1 month later...

I like to use the Clover soft touch and I had the problem that I have worn the letters off of my hooks, they are all the same color.. and I am no good at just looking... So what is one to do but use a Sharpie marker and put the letter of the hook back on and then I painted them all in different nail polish colors.. I can still see the letter under the polish and they are now color coded and the letter is protected from rubbing off.. Call me trailer trash Barbie but it works.. I do see a new set has come out that is color coded and am eying them too.. :hook I used to have the Addi colored hooks but snapped every single one in half doing my amigurumi since I do it so tight... I loved them hooks too..

I have more than one set (well a bunch of other misc hooks) but I usually grab my red 'F' hook when I need my favorite hook.

My F is a fav too! Only mine is blue with the color worn off in the central part by the thumb rest. I have alot of hooks, and many are similar in color

I keep my steel hooks in one case I made from a CD case with a zipper. A crocheted case holds hooks larger than G. A regular store bought hook case holds my B thru G hooks, and a material roll up case holds knitting needles and afghan hooks. I keep them in mmsize within each case.

• 2 weeks later...

I have far too many hooks to ever think about identifying them solely by color. I can however look at a hook and usually know what size it is by sight, which is a good thing these days because I can barely read the tiny writing on the smaller hooks! :hook

Archived