single stitch in the round - sl st

passionfyre

Question

hi :)

i normally crochet amigurumi in a spiral...but i have found this japanese crochet pattern which seens to show crochet in the round, joining with a slip stitch

http://www.amuuse.jp/alacarte/files/pdf/item/ami_mana/amu-43.pdf

i really cant get my head around it though xD after i join with a slip stitch, do i do the next sc in the same stitch? or on the next one? because i have been doing the latter, and some pieces of the cat hasnt come out properly, like the sideways-B shaped patch shown in light grey on page 1.

So generally....after sl st, i sc in the same st? is that the norm? or am i readin this pattern wrong? (asking people who are familiar with this pattern layout)

6 answers to this question

Join with a slip stitch, chain one, then do the next stitch into a stitch of previous round, not into the sl st. Not sure exactly what you mean by "the same stitch" but you shouldnt skip a stitch as that will leave a gap.

The things that look like Vs are increases, two single crochets into the same stitch.

On the sideways B The shaping is two double crochet in one stitch (dc inc), half double, single, slip, Half double, dc inc.

(all US terms)

Sorry, by 'the same stitch' i meant doing the next sc (first sc of the next row) into the same stitch you just did the slst in.

I dont know why i can't get my head around this @_@ everytime i try it, i end up with and extra stitch or two.....or three xD

Sorry, by 'the same stitch' i meant doing the next sc (first sc of the next row) into the same stitch you just did the slst in.

I dont know why i can't get my head around this @_@ everytime i try it, i end up with and extra stitch or two.....or three xD

According to the diagram, you sl st into the chain st. Then do the sc inc into the first sc of the previous row, That is for row 2 thru 6 of the head.

Is there are reason they ask you to join instead of working in rounds? If there isn't a purpose for it you can just work in rounds as you normally would doing ami. That is how I make all my ami. The only reason some people do the join method is so they know what round they are one. A small safety pin used as a stitch marker will work.

Making ami its better to work in the round (like a spiral) and not join with a sl st then ch 1. That will leave a ridge going diagonal across the piece.

Just use a stitch maker, a piece of different coloured yarn, hair grip or safety pin to mark the first stitch and just work around continous :)

Archived