Catherine's Wheel/Starburst Stitch

TSouth

Question

Okay ladies. In my "crochet stitch bible" I found a beautiful stitch - the Starburst Stitch. Page 85. I want to do a solid afghan in this ...approximately 50 x 60 in a solid color. I know - strange...I just prefer solid colors. Anyway - is this the same as Catherine's Wheel? I tried to do a sampler following the bible's directions and I got a humpy icky mess. My first row just seemed to pull my chain foundation row terribly. I made my foundation row very loose but still nine double crochets in one stitch is definately going to pull. (I'm using worsted yarn - trying it with the 'el cheapo Red Heart this first go around). Anyway - my foundation row is just getting pulled to pieces no matter how loose I start it. I even did my beginning foundation chain with a 6.5 hook and the regular stitches in a 5.5 and it still pulled.

After all my rambling I guess I have questions... Is this beautiful starburst the same as Catherine's Wheel? Can it be done in worsted weight? How can I fix the problem of stretching those bottom chains out with all the double crochet in one of the beginning chains? Does anyone have a pattern to suggest that would be in a solid color and not changing yarns? Am I crazy to even try this?:yes

Thanks ladies ...you all are the best!

4 answers to this question

There are several reference books which crocheters refer to as a "bible." Which one specifically are you referring to?

And do you have a specific reference for the "Catherine Wheel" stitch? Different authors can use the same term to refer to different stitches....

DCM

Thank you DCM. I am referring to teh Crochet Stitch Bible by Betty Barnden.

I just tried another round of this thing and I am just in tears!!! When I get to row three of the stitch I mentioned in my earlier post...It's like I'm stretching things too far across the top and it is bunching up. It's weird! I don't know what I am doing wrong. As far as Catherine's Wheel....I looked at a few

http://berroco.com/insider/Free Greenway pattern from Comfort K C Afghans.pdf

and

http://cache.lionbrand.com/printablePatterns/cjif-diamondLaceafghan.pdf

Thanks for your interest and help.

Thanks for the links! I was unable to see the LionBrand afghan clearly enough to tell how well the directions would result in the photographed piece, so I went to the "Greenway" PDF and made a very small sample.

The Greenway instrux say that the crocheter needs a multiple of 8 sts + 1, so I "cast on" (chained) 17 sts. Then, in the 5th chain from the hook (per instrux), I did the dc3tog, sc, dc3tog and finished the "Set-Up Row."

Agreed: it's pretty wobbly, and I suspect it will stay that way for several rows.

I did Row 1, with the dc6tog process, and it's a good thing I already know how to do it! Remember that the "Greenway" afghan is only one project from a BOOK of them, and there's probably an introductory section in the BOOK with special stitches illustrated and explained. Like dc6tog, dc9tog, or however many a particular pattern calls for.

The "Catherine's Wheel" and "Catherine's Diamond" stitch patterns shown on p. 145 of Donna Kooler's Encyclopedia of Crochet look very similar to the two afghan PDFs you provided links for. The Wheel calls for a multiple of 10 sts + 1 and requires dc7togs and dc4togs. The Diamond calls for a multiple of 8 sts + 1 and requires dc9togs and dc5togs.

Unfortunately, Kooler doesn't provide a "Starburst" stitch, but any fan/shell pattern which provides mirrored halves of a "wheel / fan / diamond" in alternating rows will give a similar overall effect. Depending on how much color work you're willing to put yourself through, you can have lots of colors (the Greenway approach) or a gently undulating bed cover of what look to me personally like cowrie shells. *Nice* cowrie shells! :c9

The two most important aspects of making a dc_tog are 1) to work with very stretchy yarn (my experience with RHSS is that it doesn't stretch quite enough for this maneuver) and 2) to remember NOT to work the dc completely: leave the last loop for each st on the hook until all the sts have been worked partway; THEN "straighten up" the loops by gently pulling the hook away from the piece to give yourself a little working room to pull the yarn through.

My sample was worked with some anonymous acrylic yarn (worsted weight) and a Boye "I" hook. The gentle point at the top of the hook is critical for the multiple dcs; a completely round head will make anyone crazy working this st pattern.

HTH

DCM

I was using a Boye hook - so back upstairs to the "yarn stash" I go to find a more cooperative yarn :)

Thank you so so much for taking the time to help me with this. As you have probably figured out - I'm no expert.

Ladies like you are why I love this site. Have a great weekend!

Archived