Seeking Plush, Velvety Yarn That Is Not Discontinued

redrosesdz

Before I describe what I'm looking for, I'd like to give you a little background. I am crocheting again for the first time in 20 years. I'm making a throw out of Sensations Rainbow Boucle yarn. It's coming out beautifully and very soft. My oldest son is graduating college in March and the throw will match the quilt that my sister is making for him.

Now my youngest son wants me to make an afghan, too. He wants a queen size afghan that is soft and plush. He doesn't care about the color as long as it is not blue, pink or baby colors. I've to a few stores and have looked online. Most of what I've seen is either blue, baby colors or discontinued.

What I'm looking for is...

1. Bulky weight

2. Plush

3. Velvety soft

4. Machine wash and dry

5. Available in manly colors (browns, blacks, mulberry, greens, deep reds etc.)

Please help with suggested brands and/or search keywords. I've tried searching on chenille, cozy, plush and velvet but the results are so varied. Also, I'm not sure how much yarn I'll need for a 90" x 90" afghan. Thank you!!!

Halcyon Yarn has a bulky chenille In lots of colors http://halcyonyarn.com/products/yarn/007.html

They offer sample cards of yarns, and cones so you can get a large quantity. for a big project, i would probably order a mini cone first to swatch with and decide how much i needed for the blanket.

Just noticed it doesn't say how to launder, but i'm sure they could get you that info quickly.

Thank you again! I looked at the halcyon chenille. I really like it! I just emailed them about the cleaning care. I have my fingers crossed that it is washable! If it is, then I'll need to find out if it ever goes on sale. I'm thinking that 3 of the 1 lb cones would be enough, because of the thickness.

I've been considering the herrschner's fleece. I found it after I posted this request. I'm not sure why, but the colors don't inspire me. I don't see 3 colors that would look right together.

I've got 2 patterns in mind. The one is 9 rows and repeat and I thought 3 rows, 3 colors would look cool. The other pattern is 3 colors of worsted weight and 1 color of variegated bulky. I am hoping that the yarn will dictate which pattern to use.

I really appreciate all the help!! 20 years ago I didn't find this much yarn selection in my local stores. LOL

Adding:

I heard back from Halcyon. They said that it can be washed, but it will shrink 10-15%. They recommended creating and washing a swatch to calculate the gauge. That got me excited. The colors are gorgeous and the yarn looks so incredibly soft and plush. Then I calculated how much I'd need... 6 cones @ $30/cone is $180. I didn't look into shipping, because $180 is more than I can spend. Looks like I'm on the hunt for a cheaper inspiration. Thank you again for all of your help!

Eeeek! $180 worth! I'd keep looking too.

Check Smileys Yarns for Lion Brand Suede. I know they have carried it a lot. Maybe they'll still have a good stock of it.

I checked Smileys Yarn. They only have fuchsia in Lion Brand Suede.

In another thread, FrLopLady suggested James C. Brett Marble Chunky Yarn. It comes in some really beautiful colors! It's also within my budget, since it would only be 2/5ths of the 2nd pattern that I like. I found the perfect multi-color (Autumn) and calculated a total of $44 for it.

I also found James G. Brett Marble Chunky Yarn for less cost. It's also machine washable. The colors are more muted than the James G. Brett line.

Has anyone worked with both James C and James G yarns? Is there a big difference in quality and/or softness?

Adding:

Nevermind! I called Paradise Fibers and they told me that the James G. was a typo on the DK weighted Marble Chunky Yarn. LOL

I calculated that I would need a total of 3000 yards for either pattern. If I go with the first pattern, the whole thing would be in bulky. If I go with the second pattern, then I would need 1200 yards in bulky and 600 yards each of 3 matching worsted weight yarns.

I calculated that I would need a total of 3000 yards for either pattern. If I go with the first pattern, the whole thing would be in bulky. If I go with the second pattern, then I would need 1200 yards in bulky and 600 yards each of 3 matching worsted weight yarns.

Wowee that's a lot! Somehow i would have thought it would be less...but queen size is covering a lot of area so i guess it isnt surprising. Will be interested to see what you decide on. :crocheting

I think I've decided on the 2nd pattern. It's in the mile-a-minute style. The center of each panel is the variegated bulky, surrounded by the 3 colors of worsted. Paradise Fibers has all of the Marble Chunky colors. I'm torn between Autumn and Adobe, but I'm leaning towards the Autumn with matching green, gold and orange for the worsted. I'm going to go with Simply Soft or Pound Of Love for the worsted (I think).

Paradise Fibers told me that they were going to add the Marble Chunky to Amazon. I do a survey for a local company that pays me monthly in Amazon gift cards. It's going to take me a couple of months to save up enough in gift cards to get the bulky for free. I'm hoping to start it this summer. In the meantime, I'm finishing a 48" x 72" throw in variegated red/black boucle and have 2 cross-stitch projects to keep me busy. I should be done with the throw this weekend.

I wouldn't use Simply Soft as a worsted weight with bulky, because it's a light worsted weight and would be very thin compared to the bulky. They have some gorgeous colors though, so if you use it, I think I'd use it double stranded.

Another bulky weight that is great to work with is Lion Brand Jiffy. It just slides on the hook. And it comes in a lot of colors.

Thanks, Real Deal! I'd rather not use something that is light weight and double stranded means twice the price. How is pound of love vs. ilty as far as quality (durability), softness and weight?

I took a look at Lion Brand Jiffy. I had seen it before. The colors are gorgeous! The only problem is that there is only 1 variegated that would work and it has blue in it. My son really dislikes blue, except for his jeans. I think I'm going to stick to the Marble Chunky for the bulky weight part. I might consider bulky, instead of worsted, except that I like the look of the different textures in the sample picture that comes with the pattern. I'm definitely keep it in mind for a future project!

there isn't any worsted weight that I think will work with bulky without doubling the yarn. Maybe with a bigger hook on the ww, but not sure how it would work out. Pound of love I believe is even a 3 weight vs a 4 weight on the simply soft..but it is a VERY light 4 and close to a 3.

Paradise fibers has the bulky weight too? I'll have to check that out

Vanna's Choice is pretty chubby for #4 worsted weight. I've also had some Caron Natura (worsted weight) in the One Pounders that was nice and chubby.

I've been looking at Vanna's Choice as a possibility. How soft is it? The Marble Chunky is very soft. I want the whole thing to be so soft you want to melt into it.

The sample in my book was done with RH Classic for the worsted and Casual Cotton for the bulky.

Adding:

Nevermind! I called Paradise Fibers and they told me that the James G. was a typo on the DK weighted Marble Chunky Yarn. LOL

Umm, If you are saying that the typo is on BOTH DK and Chunky, then I will shut up now.

BUT if you are thinking that the DK wt'd CHUNKY is the same yarn, it is not and you will need to look at the details for both when determining quantity needed.

It may be penny wise and pound foolish as they say to skip the "get a skein and make swatches" You can always use one to "thicken your fringe"

HTH

Wheat

Umm, If you are saying that the typo is on BOTH DK and Chunky, then I will shut up now.

BUT if you are thinking that the DK wt'd CHUNKY is the same yarn, it is not and you will need to look at the details for both when determining quantity needed.

It may be penny wise and pound foolish as they say to skip the "get a skein and make swatches" You can always use one to "thicken your fringe"

HTH

Wheat

HI Wheat,

The typo was on the name. They had the middle initial wrong. It's James C. Brett yarn. The marble comes in DK weight and in Chunky weight. On their website one is listed as James C. Brett and the other as James G. Brett. Both should say James C. Brett.

I spoke to Paradise Fiber's product expert at length. The Marble Chunky is a 5 weight and should work for the pattern I'm going to use.

Thanks for the info, though.

- Red

The Vanna's Choice worsted weight is very soft, much softer than Red Heart yarns.

I keep a bin full of it here for ME projects. I only buy it when it's on sale. Right now I have a bed blanket for me in process and a hooded scarf. I think I'll make a pair of fingerless gloves to match the scarf.

Archived