Help identify yarn, please!

prettywoman030981

I received a box of crochet and knit goodies from my great grandmother. Some of which was some yarn. I have NO idea what type and she doesn't remember. There are no labels, as they were all wound into balls many years ago. I know these are older, as my great-grandma hasn't crocheted or knit in over 10 years. I'm just trying to figure out what this particular ball of yarn is!

It isn't super soft, it's just a little rough (reminds me a little of RHSS). And it seems a little more bulky than a size 4 yarn.

Can anyone help me out? I'd like to know at least if it's acrylic or wool, or maybe some combination. I know it's not cotton.

I'm attaching a pic, but also here is a link to it in photobucket (so you can see it a little bigger). http://i494.photobucket.com/albums/rr310/jenniferlynnsmith030981/1326407104.jpg

post-55092-135897726207_thumb.jpg

You can cut a few inches off the ball, take it outside and burn it. If it turns to ash, it's wool. If it melts, it's acrylic.

• 2 weeks later...
I just learned that trick from a friend of mine :)

Although ash/natural fiber - melt/sythetic is a pretty good ball park,

You may want to google "fiber burn testing" to get more complete information.

however, if it goes out when you remove the flame, there is a good chance it is animal and likely "fleece" of sheep, etc.

Synthetics and Plant fibers (cotton, rayon, etc), unless treated, will continue to burn when you remove a direct flame.

This is why synthetics are not recommended for babies, children and sleepwear.

It is also why one of the 2-3 I always prefer a good superwash wool for babies and children and well, truthfully pretty much every project.

HTH

Wheat

Archived