2012 - Afghans for NICU babies for Christmas - Delivery Tomorrow!

badrhinogillett

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Normally, I deliver the afghans the week after Thanksgiving. I am probably going to have to go the week before this year. I've been on disability and will be heading back to work after Thanksgiving. The hospital needs delivery on a week day, and I can't take off this year to deliver.

If you can get it to me before Thanksgiving, it will go this year - otherwise, send it anytime and it can be the first collected for 2013 delivery!

Before I post pictures of the ghans I've received, let me apologize for how long it's taken me to get these up. This has been a tough year for me. I was injured in April and my mobility hasn't been great since then. Had surgery in August and am a bit more mobile, but still hobble about. My Dad was diagnosed with brain cancer... you get the idea.

Our total, with the ghans I'm about to post, is 120 aghans and 5 hats! I will probably delivery the week prior to Thanksgiving, so we have another couple of weeks if you have something to send in.

Here is Pam's annual Clown Car Box of ghans. I've decided that Pam is the person I want with me when I pack for vacation - I have no idea how she fits so many afghans into the size box she does! These are all lovely, and the 3 on the right are made with a chenille yarn that you just want to snuggle with all day!

post-2886-135897783721_thumb.jpg

Jeanne made the babies a rainbow sweetheart ripple ghan. It's so pretty and now I want to try the pattern too! The hat on the left looks like a cupcake - there are little sprinkles on it - and the hat next to it, looks like it has a pointsetta on it. Lovely all!

post-2886-135897783724_thumb.jpg

Before I post pictures of the ghans I've received, let me apologize for how long it's taken me to get these up. This has been a tough year for me. I was injured in April and my mobility hasn't been great since then. Had surgery in August and am a bit more mobile, but still hobble about. My Dad was diagnosed with brain cancer... you get the idea.

Our total, with the ghans I'm about to post, is 120 aghans and 5 hats! I will probably delivery the week prior to Thanksgiving, so we have another couple of weeks if you have something to send in.

120 seems like a light count for this year. :( I know I didn't send as many as I usually do....

Pam, it's a light count compared to previous years, but with over 100 afghans that's going to care for babies for quite a while! I just got a box from deedes and I'll get a picture up in the thread tomorrow.

I know I didn't crochet nearly as many as usual. I kind of lost my mojo this year - between getting injured 7 months ago (and surgery 2 months ago) and Dad's cancer, I"ve been more than a bit off.

Pam, it's a light count compared to previous years, but with over 100 afghans that's going to care for babies for quite a while! I just got a box from deedes and I'll get a picture up in the thread tomorrow.

I know I didn't crochet nearly as many as usual. I kind of lost my mojo this year - between getting injured 7 months ago (and surgery 2 months ago) and Dad's cancer, I"ve been more than a bit off.

Kathryn -- The total baby blanket count is very awesome. We have all been through many challenges this year and I want us all to focus on the positive. The number of baby blankets made isn't all that important as it is to focus on the need and these blankets will definitely fill an important need at the NICU during Christmas.

Thank you so much for organizing this drive again this year. You are an amazing person and we love you and this cause. :hug

I just noticed this thread. I could do some, but have a lot going on in November and doubt I could get any to you before Thanksgiving.

I haven't read the whole thread, or earlier years, and have a few questions. Forgive me if they have been answered over and over.

Size? I have no idea what size to make an afghan for a premie.

What kind of yarn? Are any types out except the obviously icky and scratchy? Worsted? Finer yarns preferred?

Pattern? I know some hospitals are pretty picky about the pattern. Does it have to be completely solid? Are some holes, like those in a round ripple ok? I assume so, since I see some rr's in the last few pics you posted.

Washing? Without detergent? Is normal detergent ok? Or does it have to be fragrance free, etc?

I know that's a lot of info I'm asking you to take time for when you've probably already gone through it somewhere. But I don't want to send you anything you can't use.

• 2 weeks later...

and for some reason I was thinking I had more time. If you get the chance, can you post the date you would like to have all blankets on hand? I have some ready to go but would like to wait as long as I can so maybe I can get one more done.

Kathryn, it sounds as if you've had a challenging year but don't be discouraged. Over 100 blankets is a wonderful gift you're able to deliver. :hug Sometimes you just need to focus on yourself and your family. And we ALL know what it's like to lose our crochet mojo.

I will post a picture of the blankets before I send them on their way. I am shipping to the same address unless I hear from you.

Happy Holidays everyone. And great work!

• 2 weeks later...

Somehow, I"ve missed a few of the last posts. I'm so sorry not to have answered until now.

I've gotten some last minute afghans, and will get a picture up in the thread. I'm sorry that I didn't contact you to let you know they came. It's been a trying time. Dad is on his second round of chemo- 3 times the original dose. I was laid off a few weeks ago (trivial in comparison to what Dad and these babies are going through).

I was to deliver the afghans this week, but car trouble is preventing that. I'm hoping to go on Monday.

As far as Donna's questions - any size afghan works. The babies range from extreme preemie to 1 year old. The smaller the afghan, the fewer the holes as those babies will be on more monitors. Also, lighter weight yarns for afghans for extreme preemie. Those babies aren't much bigger than a Barbie doll. Acrylic will be more washable- but truly, anything you can send will find a home with a baby who will treasure it!

Thanks for the reply. I've gotten stacked up with other commitments, but I can try to do a few for you next year.

I'm sorry to hear of all the difficulties you are having now. Just hold on as best you can. :hug

Is there going to be 7th year? I would love to start planning for 2013 ( unless the Mayans are right)... Have you a goal?

Archived