2012 - Afghans for NICU babies for Christmas - Delivery Tomorrow!

badrhinogillett

This is the 6th year that I've come to you all asking for help. Each year, your generosity is humbling. If you'd like to read about the 2011 drive, you can find the link here.

As you may know, my son was born with a rare and life threatening disorder. When he was 3 days old, he flew by helicopter to Oakland Children's Hospital and Research Center. The hospital is the largest Children's hospital between Los Angeles and Seattle and every year they save the lives of countless children, and comfort the families of children that will never go home.

It was the kindness of strangers that helped me get through each day of what was the scarriest thing I hope to ever live through. Were it not for the support I received, I know I would have lost my mind.

I owe the hospital, and God, an emotional debt that will be impossible to repay. It is my attempt to pay it forward by donating afghans to the hospital to be used in the NICU. The first afghans will be delivered to the babies by Santa on Christmas day. After that, the nurses and hospital chaplain will wrap babies in our afghans as they pass away in the arms of their parents - then the parents will have the afghan to take home. Others, will be given to babies, like my son, who are fortunate enough to survive their ordeal.

While my main focus is the NICU - the hospital takes children up to the age of 18. If you feel compelled to make something for an older child, I will see that it gets to the hospital.

Anything you feel moved to make will be treasured and needed by some baby in the NICU. Afghans, booties, hats, mittens.. etc. Any size afghan is needed, from extreme preemie (think a chunky Barbie Doll), to a baby up to 1 year old. The smaller you make a ghan, the tinier a baby will use it - so if you go small, please use a light weight yarn, as these babies weigh less than a pound.

The smaller the baby - the more monitors... so smaller afghans should have fewer holes for wires to get tangled in.

I collect and store afghans all year long, so you may send me anything at any time - I have a safe place to store it. I always deliver the afghans the week after Thanksgiving. If you could wash the item prior to sending it that would be helpful. This is especially important if you live in a home with a smoker or a pet.

While I refer to this as a drive for afghans for Christmas... my long term goal is to eventually collect enough afghans so that every baby that enters the NICU over the course of the year is able to receive an afghan. The NICU usually serves between 300 and 400 babies in a given year. The last 2 years, we have collected over 200 afghans per year - this is a huge step towards meeting my long term goal.

Thank you so much for thinking about these families. You are helping them more than it's possible for you to know, unless you are a NICU family yourself. Thank you.:hug

Total collected this year:

Afghans 137

Hats 7

Stuff for older kids from my mom - 60 hats, 1 hat with scarf attached, 4 scarves

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am SO glad to find this thread!!

My cousin's twins were born just before Christmas at 23.5 weeks, the little girl, Hannah, passed away just before the birth but the little boy, Noah, is still hanging on in the NICU. He was 1 lb. 6 oz and 11 inches at birth. He's so strong and fighting every day!

I have made several little hats and booties for him and have been looking around for some place to donate more to, since there isn't a NICU where I live.

I will make some hats and booties for the micro preemies and probably an afghan or two or ten. :)

I would love to help. My Niece was born 12 weeks premature (almost 17 years ago). She is now a very strong, healthy young woman and I can understand about how importiant it is for what you and everyone else is doing for the NICU families. :hug s to all of you.

Ill PM you when I am ready for your address and Bless you (all of you) for everything :hug

Patty's box arrived after I delivered the 2011 collection. She starts off the 2012 drive.

Here are three lovely preemie ghans - all in the same yarn, but each looking completely different due to the stitches she used. Patty's tension is something to be admired - these are lovely ghans!

Thank you Patty!

post-2886-135897726933_thumb.jpg

The last 2 years of the drive, my co-worker has gotten donations from her friends at church. The other day, a huge bag of afghans arrived at her door, and she's not sure who these are from! There are 36 ghans here - they take up the ENTIRE floor of my kitchen!

post-2886-135897726935_thumb.jpg

I just put the afghans that I photographed away in the rubbermaid container that I store them in during the year. I discovered a bag of 7 afghans from last year from my co-workers church friends- that in the confusion of our home remodeling project, didn't end up going to the hospital.

I've corrected last year's totals by 7. I had photographed them, but they arrived after the containers were full and they were in a bag- they got mistaken for Christmas presents when I was packing eerything up. I store the rubbermaid containers in the same spot I hide presents in.

I've added the 7 ghans from last year to this year's totals. So, now we are up to 46. For a running total of what I've collected, you can always refer to the first post. I'll update the totals there.

I have these two afghans already made, just waiting for a baby to cuddle in it :) I am attaching pics so you can decide if they are appropriate for the need and use they would be intended for. They are about 30" x "34 I believe, acrylic yarn.....if you would like them, pls PM me so I can mail them to you :)

Joy

post-47742-135897728262_thumb.jpg

post-47742-135897728266_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Archived