so frustrated with Caron

So I've been eyeballing Simply Soft Paints in Oceana for a while now, my wonderful son bought me a skein for Christmas, and I've since bought 5 more to make the pinwheel sweater. So far each of the first four skeins I've used had a knot somewhere in the middle of the skein where they tied the yarn together. UGH!!! Now I'll be honest if I were making a blanket I'd probably just keep working, but since I'm making a wearable I've been trimming out the knot and starting with the new end which has meant so many more ends to deal with, and sewing in ends is my absolute least favorite part of crocheting. The first two skeins I was willing to let go, in part bc I no longer had the wrapper (not sure why I threw it away before finishing the project) or the receipt, however this last batch I do have all the info I think I'm going to be contacting the company and complaining. Has anyone else had this experience?

I had a similar problem with bernat yarns. I called the company and they had me give them all the information on the yarn lables. They let me keep the yarn I had and sent me new yarn, they even gave me the choice of choosing a diffrent color. My suggestion is to call them and see what they have to say.

I had a skein of SS do the same thing...it was rose colored and about every 10 feet of yarn it was frayed and thinned out, bunched (like a frizzy spot) or was just strange. I also had part where there were black threads woven into the strand!! :eek I've used SS for so many things and never had that problem before, I was so bummed

Handy Tip: When you encounter a knot in the middle of the skein, there is an EASY way to get it out. Pull the knot out until you can see the end of the knot where the yarn is coming from the skein. To "undo" the knot, gently pull on the yarn connected to the skein (not pulling from the skein, but pulling from the back of the "knot") you will find that the knot will start to undo itself. I'm speaking from the voice of experience here, with more than my share of knots. Just hit on this "trick" by accident. Trying to "undo" the knot from the end that you are working on just leads to frustration. try it and see, I now very, very seldom have to cut a knot out now.

Hi LaceAngel ~ What I think she means here is that there is a break in the yarn and the two strands are knotted together. :)

If that's the case, I have had that happen sometimes with various brands and it makes me crazy, cuz I don't want to have all those extra ends to weave in. I guess they have problems with dye lots sometimes. I haven't had that happen in a while, though. Let's hope I didn't just jinx myself! :lol

Here is my two cents on this topic .... to me finding knots and bad spots are all a part of our chosen craft ... do I like it ... NO ... does it drive me insane ... YES ... I have had this problem with both "cheap" and "expensive" yarns .... does this keep me from using them not in the least. Finding these spots and having to frog for what ever reason is a part of crocheting and while frustrating and anoying I still keep at it.

Having one knot (or even 2) in a skein of yarn is very often considered industry standard and well within the tolerances allowed in the manufacturing process, and not something a yarn company is generally going to replace yarn over.

I know it's frustrating and irritating, and I hate dealing with knots myself.

I did receive a skein of the new ruffle ladder yarn once with FIVE knots in the skein, while none of the others had a single knot. (I had a batch of about 6 skeins.) I did ask for and get a replacement for that skein!!

I have noticed many of my "specialty" yarns with more than average knots in them to. Maybe the good old reliable Red Heart Super Saver spoiled me. Not only does it rarely have a knot, but it also is always so easy to find the center end to unwind from the middle of the skein. So many other brands require so much pulling and tugging at this wad in the middle, it is more bother than it is worth. Someone told me what to call it... was it yarn vomit? Something like that. Anyway, I finally started just putting it in a yarn container and pulling from the outside while it spins in the container.

Red Heart is offering so many more choices now. I never find the quantity I need locally, but if I order on line, I can use Red Heart AND get a specialty yarn. So, I try to do that when I can.

Having one knot (or even 2) in a skein of yarn is very often considered industry standard and well within the tolerances allowed in the manufacturing process, and not something a yarn company is generally going to replace yarn over.

I know it's frustrating and irritating, and I hate dealing with knots myself.

I did receive a skein of the new ruffle ladder yarn once with FIVE knots in the skein, while none of the others had a single knot. (I had a batch of about 6 skeins.) I did ask for and get a replacement for that skein!!

I can accept it in a skein or two, and I understand things happen. Though maybe I'm also spoiled by RH bc I rarely ever have knot issues with it. What's bothering me is that it's happened 4 skeins in a row and I've never had that happen before.

Maybe the good old reliable Red Heart Super Saver spoiled me. Not only does it rarely have a knot, but it also is always
I have just had the exact opposite experience with RHSS. Knots AND not being able to find that center pull! :lol

Yarn vomit = my new favorite phrase

I was just thinking that same thing.

I already know in my head when picking out any yarn other than RH that I will have this yarn vomit to contend with.

I have had the knot problem my fair share of times. I just growl a bit and fix it or move on.

My bigger beef has been not getting the amount of yarn I paid for. I believe it was Caron yarn. I was making several identical projects,each using a skein if yarn. 2 out of 3 skeins were about 15 yards short. I was even so angry about it I did measure it to be sure. I called the company and she assured me that variations in yardage was common and there was nothing she could do for me

To me missing out on 15 yards from 2 skeins WAS a big deal.

My bigger beef has been not getting the amount of yarn I paid for. I believe it was Caron yarn. I was making several identical projects,each using a skein if yarn. 2 out of 3 skeins were about 15 yards short. I was even so angry about it I did measure it to be sure. I called the company and she assured me that variations in yardage was common and there was nothing she could do for me

To me missing out on 15 yards from 2 skeins WAS a big deal.

I have to agree that is a big deal, esp when you buy the amount you need in one dye lot and it turns out short and may not be able to find another skein in that dye lot

I have noticed many of my "specialty" yarns with more than average knots in them to. Maybe the good old reliable Red Heart Super Saver spoiled me. Not only does it rarely have a knot, but it also is always so easy to find the center end to unwind from the middle of the skein. So many other brands require so much pulling and tugging at this wad in the middle, it is more bother than it is worth. Someone told me what to call it... was it yarn vomit? Something like that. Anyway, I finally started just putting it in a yarn container and pulling from the outside while it spins in the container.

Red Heart is offering so many more choices now. I never find the quantity I need locally, but if I order on line, I can use Red Heart AND get a specialty yarn. So, I try to do that when I can.

I've also noticed that Red Heart is offering more. I've also noticed that the Super Saver yarn is not as thick as it used to be :yes

Having one knot (or even 2) in a skein of yarn is very often considered industry standard and well within the tolerances allowed in the manufacturing process,

No matter what the price range, knots happen. three within 100 grams seems to be pretty much the "Industry Acceptable" although every mill I know of would rather their products had zero

There is a very definite correlation between complexity of production and the number of knots likely to be found. All versions of the new self ruffling yarns are quite complex and so even more subject to being knotted.

Karen at Knitting Fever (between its product lines is now up to 3-5 variations on the maybe 4 basic styles across the brands it imports) created a basic how to knit with Ruffling yarns which includes a very effective method to deal with the knots.

The KFI YouTube channel is at:

http://www.youtube.com/user/knittingfeverinc

Some may find this helpful to watch to get the concept that can be applied to crochet with these yarns.

Enjoy The Making

Wheat

Oh Yeah...."Yarn Vomit" is definitely becoming part of my vocabulary now....LOL.

Knots are always a pain and, yes, they seem to appear in all varieties and prices of yarn. I do get frustrated having to weave in all those extra ends when a skein has three or more knots.....grumble.

It's important to remember to cut those knots out and re-attach the yarn. It would be awful it it came undone after it was crocheted into something wonderful. (Guess how I found that out?)

Agree! Hope it wasn't something really really wonderful!

Something else to watch out for when choosing yarn is the difference in thickness in different colors of the same yarn. Frustrating when it is really noticable and you can't use the color you want. Is it the nature of the dye?

It's important to remember to cut those knots out and re-attach the yarn. It would be awful it it came undone after it was crocheted into something wonderful. (Guess how I found that out?)

oh I never knew that!!!!!!!!! :eek Thanks for the information!!!

Agree! Hope it wasn't something really really wonderful!

Something else to watch out for when choosing yarn is the difference in thickness in different colors of the same yarn. Frustrating when it is really noticable and you can't use the color you want. Is it the nature of the dye?

I think it's more the machinery that they use.

• 2 weeks later...

Annoying yes. I usually only get upset/frustrated when I'm working with a yarn that has a varigation, and it is part of the work. Then I have to figure out where to restart so the natural pattern of the varigation still works, and end up having to waste a section.

Yarn vomit - phrase of the month.

Archived