Some ?'s on the wording

jokersloose

Question

5 answers to this question

DK stands for Double Knit. It is a very thin and light weight yarn. If this is from a pattern, it's telling you the best weight and amount of yarn to use. I have yet to figure out the grams verses ounces verses yards. I'm sure someone with tons of experience will chime in soon and get us some more info.

Thanks so when it says

I used 2 balls of Shepherd Aussie Baby DK (131m [144yds] per 50g)

is that saying they used 288 yrds of yarn?

And yes it's for a scarf pattern that is here:

http://chelle-chelle.com/index.php/2...-stitch-scarf/

To be very precise, she used more than 1 ball/skein of yarn to make the 84" long scarf. She may not have used every inch of the second ball/skein, but if you want to make the same length scarf she shows in her PDF, you'll need 2 balls/skeins of the baby DK weight yarn so as not to run short.

100 g = 3.5 oz. Correct. If you end up purchasing yarn in smaller put-ups, 50 g = 1.75 oz.

Yarns are categorized into six general weight classes. See this thread here at Crochetville for a chart. DK Weight, also referred to as "light worsted," is Category 3. Regular worsted weight is Category 4. Sometimes the categories are shown on ball bands; sometimes (esp. with yarns made outside North America) not. The yarn chart also shows the hook sizes (for knitters, needle sizes) and stitches per inch to expect from DK weight yarns when making gauge, or at least being in the ballpark.

If you can't find the exact yarn the pattern calls for, another yarn of similar "ingredients" (nylon + acrylic) and similar weight (Category 3) with similar hook/needle and stitch numbers should work just fine. Scarves aren't a very fitted item, so there's a lot of wiggle room! :)

DCM

Archived