Scarf??

jokersloose

Question

OK so just starting too learn did 6 dishrags and 'think' I have that stitch down :cheer LOL.

So I have been told a scarf is a good next project for me. So do I just keep doing the same stitch till it's long enough? Or should I try to learn a new one while doing it? If a new one what would be good 'next' stitch to learn? If a new stitch does someone have a pattern with the new stitch I can use?

Thanks,

James

10 answers to this question

Scarves can be a lot of fun to make! You can just make it up as you go along. I do that all the time. Here is a great place to look for patterns if you would prefer to follow one.

I like to make mine length wise. To me it just seems to work faster, but that's an individual thing. So, you can just chain however many stitches you want and go from there. You can change stitches every other row if you like! Just have fun! Here's an example of a scarf I just finished...

Ch 21

Row 1) HDC in 3rd ch from hook, hdc across to end. Ch 2, turn

Row 2) HDC in ea st across. Ch 3, turn

Row 3) DC in ea st across. Ch 3, turn

Row 4) DC in ea st across. Ch 2, turn

Repeat rows 1-4 until scarf is length desired.

You could also do this by chaining something like 201 (just a number, use whatever for your length) and work lengthwise. If you don't know HDC, make sc! It's all up to you!

Good luck on your scarf and remember, have fun!

Not that you really need a pattern, but here is a pattern for a 'sampler scarf' that varies the stitches. It's worked widthwise.

http://chelle-chelle.com/index.php/2011/03/07/crochet-sampler-stitch-scarf/

For help with learning how to make stitches, look at crochetcabana.com, crochet.about.com, nexstitch.com (has tutorial videos, look at top left corner of main page), and here http://www.freepatterns.com/stitch_guide/content.html?type_id=S&cat_id=3

I think your best bet would be to browse through some of the scarf patterns on CPC..

I don't know how challenged you would like to be for a new stitch. Once you feel familiar with the basic stitches, sc, hdc, dc, trc and the dtr, you might want to combine them by doing one or two rows of each (maybe with color changes).

Another thing you can do is go into the back or front loop only. It adds a cute lil ridge to the pattern, adding a lil texture.

I'' try that on the next one I do. The 1st one I try the 2 rows of ds and the 2 rows of dhs and it didn't turn out so nice, but hey I'm learning, right?

Thanks for the help. My grandchildren are going to sick of scarfs LOL

James

sure its possible spark :) I think it would be an interesting pattern and would remind me more of "freeform" crochet :)

I often "switch" direction when I'm adding a cuff or something to a mitten (or a ribbed edging) - it's very possible :)

Archived