Sign in to follow this  
IamJolyn

help with bead crochet

Question

Hey everyone, So I am doing my second little 'treasure' bag, the first one wasn't solid beads, just had a thick band around the middle, however the second one, i did an octogan base without beads, then as I worked up am doing solid beads. I am using size 2 nylon thread and 6/0 seed beads, started with a size B (1) hook, then switched to a size 3 . . . but my problem is the beads are maybe to close together and are heavily curling over (it looks almost like a beaded rope around the edge) and i can't even straigten it out fully by hand.

So, I guess my question is, would the nylon be to stiff, no give? :think do i need bigger hook? I know the normal way to make these is to use the smaller 11 seed beads, but i bought these and would like to use them. . . so any suggestions would be so welcome! :hug:yes

4 answers to this question

Yes, I have been up and down that forum :) searched other online places, and not luck, and crochetville has never let me down yet!

By solid beads, you mean every stitch? Really, for a solid bead 'look' with the larger beads you probably only need to place them every other row and every other stitch, or play with the spacing to see what works best.

Yes Granny Square, like tapestry crochet, where the beads make a pattern and need to be in every stitch, I think i need to use a bigger hook. They are seed beads, size 6/0, my biggest problem is they are pretty cheap glass beads, and they are ALL different sizes lol and that isn't helping. I did another bag, and it worked out ok, but it was cotten thread, and I think that is the biggest difference, the nylon really has no give. I might try skipping every 2nd or 3 stitch at your suggestion, maybe that will help keep it loose. I have the smaller 11/0 seed bead on order and some pearl cotten thread that I will try next.