2012 Let it Snow (Snowflake CAL)

jrnylst

here we are in week 11 of 2012...how is everybody doing on their snowflake-a-week challenge here? I am two behind, and I do have a couple other projects to work on this week, so I better get crocheting instead of 'Pinteresting'! here is the butterfly flake, which Julie so wonderfully provided the link for, worked in crocus purple!

Just gorgeous! Really worked up lovely in purple!

I've been trying to get ahead for cycling season, and I think I'm around 38 unpublished snowflakes now, so that should take me through the summer. :) I'll still make snowflakes when I can, and I'll try to write patterns if I come up with ideas, but the bike will be seeing more time than the hook for a few months.

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply
here we are in week 11 of 2012...how is everybody doing on their snowflake-a-week challenge here? I am two behind, and I do have a couple other projects to work on this week, so I better get crocheting instead of 'Pinteresting'! here is the butterfly flake, which Julie so wonderfully provided the link for, worked in crocus purple!

I am at 36 so far if I am counting correctly. My husband bought me over 3miles of white crochet thread for snowflakes for Christmas and he wants to know how many it makes so I am keeping a log for him.

I love your purple butterflies. I made two purple ones also with some variegated purple in size #10 and #30. I don't have any pictures of them yet.

• 2 weeks later...

WEEK 12!! everybody has been pretty quiet this week- what's up with all of you? sure hope everybody is doing okay.

i've been working on a bunch of other crochet stuff and haven't done any snowflakes this week...but i did manage to do 2 last week. both are of a previously used pattern. Since I make only one design each year to send out in Christmas cards and to sell at craft fairs i kind of spent the first couple months scouring for possibilities and have picked SnowCatcher's great Mt Hope design for Snowflake 2012. I LOVE how many of Deborah's designs look like real snowflakes, much different than the other patterns i had been using. So it will be the rest of the year on only one design, hope that still counts here!!

WEEK 12!! everybody has been pretty quiet this week- what's up with all of you? sure hope everybody is doing okay.

i've been working on a bunch of other crochet stuff and haven't done any snowflakes this week...but i did manage to do 2 last week. both are of a previously used pattern. Since I make only one design each year to send out in Christmas cards and to sell at craft fairs i kind of spent the first couple months scouring for possibilities and have picked SnowCatcher's great Mt Hope design for Snowflake 2012. I LOVE how many of Deborah's designs look like real snowflakes, much different than the other patterns i had been using. So it will be the rest of the year on only one design, hope that still counts here!!

Thanks for keeping this alive! You have quite a bit of work cut out for you. And thank you for the kind words...

My snowflake production came to a halt Monday when my right arm was hard-casted. I could crochet, slowly and tediously, with the soft cast, but this hard cast... dang, you should see how many typos I've made in just this brief thing!

Deborah- i did see your blog post after i posted here about your broken arm...so very sorry to hear about it! love and prayers sending your way dear one!

I made one snowflake this week...again Mt.Hope pattern- i just love it! Had to alter this last one a bit as I was running out of thread! So I just substituted hdc's for the dc's on the last round and just made it!

I have another ball of sparkly white thread which is what I have decided to use on all my snowflakes this year...but it's a different brand name than the other one and just different enough that i didn't want to mix the 2.

I also chose my pattern for my mini angel for this year and worked up a couple of them this week- there's a picture on my facebook page if anybody want to go see! https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=405243956172432&set=a.252742721422557.76967.252189881477841&type=1

• 1 month later...

week 18....gosh is everybody gone? I made up another couple snowflakes, but I am slipping farther behind. Have been busy with custom crochet orders, and tried a few personal crochet projects, but have a break right now so maybe I will be able to work on several more flakes this week. I have a job interview tomorrow...first call in over a year of unemployment....am rather bervous!

week 18....gosh is everybody gone? I made up another couple snowflakes, but I am slipping farther behind. Have been busy with custom crochet orders, and tried a few personal crochet projects, but have a break right now so maybe I will be able to work on several more flakes this week. I have a job interview tomorrow...first call in over a year of unemployment....am rather bervous!

Good luck with the job interview!!!

I noticed we'd become quite silent here, too. But I hated typing with the cast, so I didn't stir the pot. :)

Cast is gone! Let's kick up a snowstorm again!

job interview felt very comfortable...now we wait and see...

I looked over the snowflakes I have made this year so far and realize I have counted wrong...way to go...and I'm applying for accounting positions?!

I made 9 unique flakes so far, plus doubles of 4 of those, and now have 10 of my 'chosen' 2012 snowflake, the lovely Mt Hope pattern...

so that adds up to 23 doesn't it?! I guess I hadn't counted the doubles because the number I had in my signature was 4 less...oh well...whatever the number is, I did get several done this week, so I am back on track! that makes me feel better.

I don't know if I'm putting this in the right place or not. I joined a few days ago.

I'm 77 years old and have crocheted since I was 5 and I would call myself an expert.

I'm interested in doing the Monday snowflakes. I crochet over 100 snowflakes each year and give away as gifts to family and friends.

I do a lot of other crochet also plus a lot of other crafts.

I'm a widow and have all the time in the world and I have to keep my hands busy.

I just finished 30 crocheted crosses for my church retreat. Last year I did 52 crocheted egg jackets over the plastic eggs for the same retreat.

Lots of fun.

crochetpinkcat

I don't know if I'm putting this in the right place or not. I joined a few days ago.

I'm 77 years old and have crocheted since I was 5 and I would call myself an expert.

I'm interested in doing the Monday snowflakes. I crochet over 100 snowflakes each year and give away as gifts to family and friends.

I do a lot of other crochet also plus a lot of other crafts.

I'm a widow and have all the time in the world and I have to keep my hands busy.

I just finished 30 crocheted crosses for my church retreat. Last year I did 52 crocheted egg jackets over the plastic eggs for the same retreat.

Lots of fun.

crochetpinkcat

Welcome, Pink Cat! I hope you enjoy it here, and I would love to see photos of your crosses and egg jackets. I made a few egg jackets about ten years ago while I was trying to teach my adopted special needs daughter to crochet, and she decided to make up a pattern of her own because that's what I did. What she came up with was the most odd-shaped contraption I've ever seen, but she certainly tried! Your egg jackets brought back a very fun memory. (Wish I had taken photos of it!) Thank you!

Cara, have you heard anything about the job yet? I've kept you in my prayers...

Welcome to "pinkcat". I would love to see your crosses too.

I have been keeping up with Snowcatcher's Monday snowflakes. I don't have an exact count at the moment.

I have been away for awhile. I took a trip to visit my parents and made 10 snowflakes on the trip there (17 hrs in the truck). I taught my 2 nieces how to crochet while there, they are making granny squares, it's how I got started. I got sidetracked though with personal requests for little animals (a bee, a horse, a Yellowfin Tuna, a tiger, and a tulip for the bee).

I designed another one of my own as well, my husband call's it turkey tracks, I was going for a flowered flake to put on my spring mobile, it was spring turkey season so he had turkey on the brain. The mobile I gave to my Mother for Mother's day. I plan to make flakes to send to her for each holiday to switch out on the mobile. I am working on patriotic flakes for Memorial day and July 4th. I may throw Father's day flakes in there as well with The patterns from Snowcatcher's pattern directory, I am still in awe of her designs.

WEEK 21...

Deborah- I did hear from the job...."we regret to inform you..."

oh well, at least they had the decency to let me know!

now I am dealing with tendon damage in my elbow brought on by too much gardening at my temp PT job...tennis elbow is what a lot of people call it...whatever name it has it is a REAL pain. Even moving the fingers hurts the elbow, and bending it is out of the question for now. So crocheting has come to a complete halt.

sigh....

I DID buy myself a new doily pattern book though! And I have been investigating area craft shows to sign up for. There's one the end of June I was thinking about, but I don't think I have enough to make a good show right now, so I think I will wait until July now.

Julie, do you have any pictures of your holiday flakes? I'd love to see what they look like!

Is like to try to catch up on this CAL, as I have a crazy idea for a snowflake afghan in my head. One flake a week shouldn't be too hard right? Then again, that's the phrase that always gets me in trouble... Lol

• 4 weeks later...
Julie, do you have any pictures of your holiday flakes? I'd love to see what they look like!

Is like to try to catch up on this CAL, as I have a crazy idea for a snowflake afghan in my head. One flake a week shouldn't be too hard right? Then again, that's the phrase that always gets me in trouble... Lol

Sorry, I don't have any pictures just yet of most of my snowflakes or mobiles. I will post them when I can. I made snowflakes from Snowcatcher's blog, you can see pictures on her Snowflake directory. She has many holiday themed snowflake patterns. For the summer holiday's I made several in Red,White and Blue and hung them from a crocheted covered ring to make a mobile. I also picked out several starflakes. I used to tie them onto the ring, but changed to using colored paper clips for hooks so I can change the flakes out for each successive holiday, utilizing the same covered ring. I hang the ring from the ceiling next to a ceiling fan for a gentle swirling effect.

I have been keeping up with the weekly snowflake pattern posted by Snowcatcher on her blog. I'm sure you will not have a problem keeping up or catching up. Welcome to the CAL.

• 3 weeks later...

Ok, I just have to say WOW to all these snowflakes! Its funny, I just happened upon the Snowcatcher blog while browsing Crochet Pattern central for the Deck the Halls CAL!

My favorite projects on the blog are the table decorations and rug! I'm thinking about giving them a shot! My MIL needs some new snowflake trivets. :)

I love C'ville!!

• 3 months later...

Happy November! I apologize for not keeping this thread active the last few months. It's been a wild and crazy year. But now it's time to get serious about snowflakes for this year's tree and for gifts, too. I'm hoping to make at least one snowflake for several family members and friends who appreciate handmade gifts, having learned the hard way some people think presents must come with a brand name and a hefty price tag.

What about you? Do you have some crocheting in your gift list???

post-31952-135897785075_thumb.jpg

• 1 month later...

Thank you for all your wonderful snowflakes for Newton. The Connecticut PTSA says they have a semi truckload full. (WOW!!!) They have enough snowflakes. Read more here. Please send any snowflakes you are making now to your own elementary school. Thank you for helping make this possible!

post-31952-135897793294_thumb.jpg

Archived