2012 Let it Snow (Snowflake CAL)

jrnylst

I'm not so fast with snowflakes this year.... :D

BUT today I met with my aunt who was my Pattern Tester :lol Well, in fact she was jrnlyst's pattern tester.... My Loving-Snowflakes-Aunts don't know English at all so I drew a charted pattern for Century Six Point Snowflake and she checked if it is clear. She showed me completed snowflake and it was beautiful! She was very happy she could make it :cheer

You are amazing. That's all. Just amazing!

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The wonderful thing about the hospital she was at had an area where nurses used to stay and it was no longer being used by them so they turned it into boarding rooms where moms who had babies in the NICU could sleep, eat, shower and connect with other moms. I spent almost as much time at the hospital as she did and my family was so understanding. Our little Sophie was a surprise so my children are much older and were great about it. I met some amazing moms going through the same things as me and we all became pretty good friends.

How neat they were able to open up an are no longer being used to help mothers like you. I'll bet you all gained strength from one another.

Do you ever finish making something, then stand back and look at it, just shaking your head because you can't believe you did it?

I did that over the weekend. (We got a snow day, so I had an extra day of staying inside to play with snow that didn't freeze my fingers!) I didn't use a chart or anything. I just made this up as I went.

post-31952-135897734046_thumb.jpg

Made up snowflake number 8 with a heart theme again.

from SnowCatcher again- Cupid...just love your designs Deborah!

Stiffened the last bunch up- here are links to my facebook craft page pictures-

all 4 recently made plus some little hearts-

closeup of Century-

and a closeup of Cupid-

What can I say, they're just beautiful!!! :clap:clap:clap

Do you ever finish making something, then stand back and look at it, just shaking your head because you can't believe you did it?

I did that over the weekend. (We got a snow day, so I had an extra day of staying inside to play with snow that didn't freeze my fingers!) I didn't use a chart or anything. I just made this up as I went.

Well, it doesn't suprise me - I just knew you are GENIUS :clap:clap:clap

I'm still waiting for snow... It's freezing outside, but no snow. That's a problem, because I LOVE winter... I guess I'd be more motivated to make some snowflakes if I could see snow through my window...

I'm still waiting for snow... It's freezing outside, but no snow. That's a problem, because I LOVE winter... I guess I'd be more motivated to make some snowflakes if I could see snow through my window...

Does this help? http://www.snowcatcher.net/2012/02/wordless-wednesday.html (We got a total of 36 inches in five days.)

That first photo is the view from my living room window, only today the icicle is about 12 inches longer. :)

needed to take a bit of a break from snowflakes...even heart-themed ones...and make some actual heart stuff for Valentine's day... here are links to my pictures if anyone is interested!

small single heart decorated with crocheted roses-

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=372271736136321&set=a.348269331869895.96667.252189881477841&type=1&ref=nf

double intertwined hearts, inspired by a post on here somewhere-

I just love your patterns. I am in awe each week.

I made the heart flake with white thread size 20 and a rainbow of colored beads. I strung them so that each heart was a different color of the rainbow. It just made a smaller snowflake. It turned out great. I loved the idea to stiffen the thread with nail polish before stringing beads, so much easier than trying to find a needle to hold the thread and go through the beads.

I have made 24 snowflakes so far this year.

needed to take a bit of a break from snowflakes...even heart-themed ones...and make some actual heart stuff for Valentine's day...

Those are beautiful! I can definitely feel the love!

I just love your patterns. I am in awe each week.

I made the heart flake with white thread size 20 and a rainbow of colored beads. I strung them so that each heart was a different color of the rainbow. It just made a smaller snowflake. It turned out great. I loved the idea to stiffen the thread with nail polish before stringing beads' date=' so much easier than trying to find a needle to hold the thread and go through the beads.

I have made 24 snowflakes so far this year.[/quote']

Thank you!

24 snowflakes is pretty darned sensational! Do you get bored with white, too, sometimes? (Like me???)

I would love to see a photo of your rainbow snowflake. Sounds spectacular!

Thank you!

24 snowflakes is pretty darned sensational! Do you get bored with white, too, sometimes? (Like me???)

I would love to see a photo of your rainbow snowflake. Sounds spectacular!

I prefer white snowflakes though I have made a few in colors. Recently for Valentines day I needed a few more Red ones for my Valentine mobile.

I have started this week to make green shamrock snowflakes in preparation for St.Patrick's Day from your posts in 2010, I already have them done in white. Are you going to make anymore snowflakes with shamrocks on them? I only have 3 shamrock snowflake patterns and wanted to make another mobile.

I will post pictures once I figure out how to get the pictures from my camera to the computer.

I'm a little late on this, but I want to join! This is such a great idea... I always end up looking around my home on December 1st and realizing I have nothing done and not much time to do it! :)

Welcome! I hope snowflakes will provide an opportunity to get lots of little tiny, easy handmade things done. ;)

I prefer white snowflakes though I have made a few in colors. Recently for Valentines day I needed a few more Red ones for my Valentine mobile.

I have started this week to make green shamrock snowflakes in preparation for St.Patrick's Day from your posts in 2010' date=' I already have them done in white. Are you going to make anymore snowflakes with shamrocks on them? I only have 3 shamrock snowflake patterns and wanted to make another mobile.

I will post pictures once I figure out how to get the pictures from my camera to the computer.[/quote']

I haven't been shamrock inspired yet this year, but that doesn't mean it won't happen. I must be stuck on Valentine's Day or something. I made two more with hearts last weekend!

I haven't been shamrock inspired yet this year, but that doesn't mean it won't happen. I must be stuck on Valentine's Day or something. I made two more with hearts last weekend!

That's ok too. I think hearts can fit any holiday or make everyday a holiday. I am still making heart things too. My family asked me to make the St.Patrick"s Day mobile.

I have also started a spring mobile, when I was starching the "Nitty Gritty snowflake" it reminded me of flowers. I have several other flakes that are slightly 3D including your "3D crystal for Mom snowflake"and I found a new blog through Crochet Pattern Central, my favorite site for patterns and ideas, http://minergirlslaboratory.blogspot.com/

her latest pattern posted was a "Butterfly Flake" that inspired me to make the Spring mobile. I have hung the butterflies in the middle and the slightly 3D flakes around the ring. I made them all in white and now I'm thinking I need some color to really make spring pop. It will be a work in progress, hopefully completed by Spring.

I would like to make a bee snowflake to add to it. My husband has recently joined a beekeeping club and asked for a bee, which I found several patterns for bees on Crochet Pattern Central and made two for him so far. I have not seen any bee snowflakes but the "Butterfly Flake" has inspired me to start thinking along that line. If I can't come up with a snowflake, I may have to make a few more little bees to hang from my mobile instead.

I looked at this one, I really like it. I saw what you said about hanging it in a window, it could be like a sun catcher if there was a crystal bead hanging from the center of the heart, very beautiful.

How neat they were able to open up an are no longer being used to help mothers like you. I'll bet you all gained strength from one another.

yes we did gain strength from one another and friendships that will last forever.

thank you for sharing that link to the butterfly snowflake! i was just wondering to myself if i could figure out how to put butterflies in snowflakes...and here it is- God is so good- even in the 'silly things'! I took a couple week break from snowflakes to work on heart things- but i'm going to work the butterfly flake right now in purple in honor of my purple crocus which is blooming today! spring is coming! yay!

none of these count for this year's CAL- but I wanted to show you how I have been displaying previous snowflakes. I make a different design each year and send them out as my Christmas cards, and of course keeping one for myself- been doing this for 18 years now. The snowflakes are simply pinned to a dark blue piece of felt which is hanging on a skinny curtain rod. This year, the snowflakes are NOT going back in storage however. They got leaked on and I had to soak some stains out and restarch them all...NOT dong that again! So now they are decorating my craft room!

post-54983-135897742845_thumb.jpg

none of these count for this year's CAL- but I wanted to show you how I have been displaying previous snowflakes. I make a different design each year and send them out as my Christmas cards, and of course keeping one for myself- been doing this for 18 years now. The snowflakes are simply pinned to a dark blue piece of felt which is hanging on a skinny curtain rod. This year, the snowflakes are NOT going back in storage however. They got leaked on and I had to soak some stains out and restarch them all...NOT dong that again! So now they are decorating my craft room!

I love how you've arranged them and that you use that at your Christmas card. GREAT idea! I'm SO glad you were able to save the snowflakes. I had a whole batch ruined by the wrong type of glue last year, and I was at a loss as to what to do with them. Then one of my readers suggested I cut them up and use them as decorations on greeting cards, collages, etc. GREAT idea!!! So now they aren't going to be thrown away!

CaraLouise came up with yet another great idea... Show Me the Flakes! What a great way to greet spring!

Here are my 20 snowflakes for my quilt for this year's Denver National Quilt Festival. I finished appliqueing last night and got all the diagonal rows pieced. Now the quilt-as-I-go process begins...

post-31952-135897743786_thumb.jpg

That's ok too. I think hearts can fit any holiday or make everyday a holiday. I am still making heart things too. My family asked me to make the St.Patrick"s Day mobile.

I have also started a spring mobile' date=' when I was starching the "Nitty Gritty snowflake" it reminded me of flowers. I have several other flakes that are slightly 3D including your "3D crystal for Mom snowflake"and I found a new blog through Crochet Pattern Central, my favorite site for patterns and ideas, http://minergirlslaboratory.blogspot.com/

her latest pattern posted was a "Butterfly Flake" that inspired me to make the Spring mobile. I have hung the butterflies in the middle and the slightly 3D flakes around the ring. I made them all in white and now I'm thinking I need some color to really make spring pop. It will be a work in progress, hopefully completed by Spring.

I would like to make a bee snowflake to add to it. My husband has recently joined a beekeeping club and asked for a bee, which I found several patterns for bees on Crochet Pattern Central and made two for him so far. I have not seen any bee snowflakes but the "Butterfly Flake" has inspired me to start thinking along that line. If I can't come up with a snowflake, I may have to make a few more little bees to hang from my mobile instead.[/quote']

Honeybees are going to be cute, whatever you do. I hope you'll share photos when you can. And thanks for that link! Great snowflake recipes there!

I did it! I designed a snowflake. :) I don't know how snowcatcher does this every week. She makes it look easy. I have also managed to post the pictures. I included a picture of the Heart Snowflake with rainbow colors from snowcatcher's blog.

Honey Bee Snowflake

Size 10 thread, color of choice or multi colors

#7 hook

Finished size: approx 7 inches across

For all one color: I used white:

Round 1: ch2, 24 dc in magic ring, join to 1st dc.

Round 2: Ch 10, skip 3 dc, dc in next dc, *ch 7, skip 3 dc, dc in next dc, repeat around, last loop formed by ch 5, hdc in 3rd ch of beg ch-10.

Round 3: Ch2, dc in 2nd ch of next ch-7 space, ch 8, *dc cluster over 5th ch of same space and 2nd ch of next space, ch 8, repeat around join sl st to 1st dc.

Round 4: *Ch12, sl st in 9th ch from hook ( 1st swirl), ch 12, sl st in 8th ch from hook (2nd swirl), ch 10, sl st in 7th ch from hook (3rd swirl), ch 8, sl st in 6th ch (4th swirl), ch 6. Start Bee: ch 16, dc in 9th ch, ch 1, skip 1 ch, tr in next ch, ch 1, dtr in next ch, ch 8, skip 2 ch sl st in next ch. Turn work and sl st across bottom of bee body, next 14 chains and stitches, work antennae: ch 5, sc in 2nd ch, ch 1, sl st in remaining 3 chains, sl st in next ch on bee head, sl st in dc and next ch, work wings: ch 6, sc in 2nd ch from hook, dtr in ch1 between tr and dtr on body, dh 5 sl st in top of dtr on bee body and next 6 chains, work stinger: ch 2 sl st in 2nd ch, sl st in remaining 2 ch on body. Sl st in each chain and around each swirl, sl st in base, for flower petal: work 2sc, 2hdc, 2dc, 3 tr, 2dc, 2hdc, 2sc in next ch 8 sp, sl st in next cluster, repeat from *around.

Finish off weave in ends.

Block and starch with your favorite method, pinning in desired shape. Attach thread for hanger. Hang and enjoy.

I pinned flower petals slightly lifted for 3-d effect.

Notes on this pattern, inspired for a spring mobile, center to represent honeycomb cells.

Colored Honey Bees snowflake:

Yellow and black for bees, white for spirals and wings

Yellow for center honeycomb

Pink for flower petals

Start by making 6 bees as follows:

With yellow chain 16, dc in 9th ch from hook, change to black, dc in next ch, change to yellow, tr in next ch, change to black, tr next ch, change to yellow, dtr in next ch, change to black, dtr in next chain, change to yellow, tr in next ch, change to black, dc, hdc in last ch, chain 4 for stinger, sl st in 2nd ch and next 2 ch, sl st to beginning finish off black, pickup yellow by inserting hook in 1st ch yo pull loop through 1st ch, sl st in ea ch around to top of head (15 sts), ch 5 sc in 2nd ch, ch 1, sl st in next 3 ch, sl st in next ch an each stitch around body skipping over stinger, finish off yellow, weave in all ends.

Attach white with sl st to 1st black stitch after head, ch 6 sc in 2nd ch, dtr in next black st, ch 5 sl st in next stitch, finish off, weave in ends. Honey bee complete.

Begin snowflake with yellow for center honey comb as for rounds 1-3 of all one color snowflake, I made the following variation to rounds 2 and 3

Round 2: ch 12 skip 3 dc dc in next dc, * ch 9, sk 3 dc, dc in next dc repeat from *, last loop formed by ch 7, hdc in 3rd ch of beg ch 12.

Round 3” ch 2 dc in 2nd ch of ch 9 sp, ch 9 instead of 8, dc cluster over 7th ch of same sp and 2nd ch of next sp

Finish off yellow after round 3.

Attach white for spirals with sl st in top of dc cluster, ch 12, sl st in 9th ch, ch 12, sl st in 8th ch, ch 10, sl st in 7th ch, ch 8, sl st in 6th ch, ch 6 , sl st to bottom of bee next to stinger, sl st in each chain and around each swirl, sl st to honeycomb at top of same dc cluster, finish off.

After all bees are attached. Join pink or color for flower petals with sc in any chain 9 space, working over thread ends to hide, work flower petal, 2sc, 2hdc, 2dc, 3 tr, 2dc, 2 hdc, 2 sc in each chain space around. Finish off weave in any remaining ends.

Block and starch with desired method. Bees and swirls will need heavy duty starch for stiffness to hold weight when hanging. I pinned flower petals slightly elevated.

post-57541-135897744293_thumb.jpg

post-57541-135897744299_thumb.jpg

post-57541-135897744301_thumb.jpg

I did it! I designed a snowflake. :) I don't know how snowcatcher does this every week. She makes it look easy. I have also managed to post the pictures. I included a picture of the Heart Snowflake with rainbow colors from snowcatcher's blog.

CONGRATS!!!!!!!!!!!! Love those little honey bees! That's a chore, too, weaving in all those ends! But you did it!

Your beaded heart snowflake came out wonderful!!!

here we are in week 11 of 2012...how is everybody doing on their snowflake-a-week challenge here? I am two behind, and I do have a couple other projects to work on this week, so I better get crocheting instead of 'Pinteresting'! here is the butterfly flake, which Julie so wonderfully provided the link for, worked in crocus purple!

post-54983-135897746248_thumb.jpg

Archived