2012 Let it Snow (Snowflake CAL)

jrnylst

thank you for this photo...pink is my color and it inspired me to look for the pattern. when I discovered it was your Mt. Hope snowflake I knew I had to make it. I don't have any pink threads with me at the moment so I am making it in white w/ multi-colored sparkles. when I make some pink ones though I too will donate any proceeds to Susan Komen...

Welcome! I can't wait to see your Mount Hope with sparkles! Sounds gorgeous!

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Very pretty :flake

I think I'd like to join in here, although I'm not sure I'll be able to make one snowflake per week. I think I'll try for one per month.

I made an amateur version of Snowcatcher's Grays Peak snowflake (just posted on her blog today), thanks to a relaxing day off.

I'm pretty inexperienced at stiffening, so it's only been lightly steamed for now.

I think I'd like to join in here, although I'm not sure I'll be able to make one snowflake per week. I think I'll try for one per month.

I made an amateur version of Snowcatcher's Grays Peak snowflake (just posted on her blog today), thanks to a relaxing day off.

I'm pretty inexperienced at stiffening, so it's only been lightly steamed for now.

I love the color! Thanks for joining in! I'm truly drooling over all the lovely snowflakes everyone is sharing!

So I guess I should share one of mine, huh??? My camera's been in the shop for nearly two weeks now, and I'm supposed to get it back tonight, so I haven't been able to take many photos for two whole weeks. (Did I whine loud enough??? :D) So here's something from this last weekend with the little Fuji that has no focus controls whatsoever...

post-31952-13589772752_thumb.jpg

So beautiful snowflakes :yay I made my number 2 too :D and this one is extremely easy - only 1 round.... but it counts! :lol I'll post pics as soon as I have the snowflakes starched.

jrnylst,

Thank you for the pointer on beading snowflakes. I was looking everywhere for a good beaded pattern. I am going to try it this weekend! Your Grays Peak snowflake is just beautiful. I love all your patterns!

Here's my number 3. The pattern came from http://crochet.about.com/od/hats/a/snowflake-cloche-hat-free-crochet-pattern.htm

post-57164-135897727738_thumb.jpg

made my #4 snowflake ahead of schedule...was just so excited I couldn't help myself! Especially after I found links on SnowCatcher's blog to the chainless dc and invisible finish. WOW! Even I can't tell where the rounds begin and end or where the last stitch is! Been crocheting since umm...1975 or so and still learning new things- yay!

I love the color! Thanks for joining in! I'm truly drooling over all the lovely snowflakes everyone is sharing!

So I guess I should share one of mine, huh??? My camera's been in the shop for nearly two weeks now, and I'm supposed to get it back tonight, so I haven't been able to take many photos for two whole weeks. (Did I whine loud enough??? :D) So here's something from this last weekend with the little Fuji that has no focus controls whatsoever...

These seem a little like antiques to me, or like they should belong on a Victorian Christmas tree. Love them!

Just wanted to share that on Jan 14, 2012 after 104 days we were finally able to bring our baby girl home. She is doing great. Now to get into a routine so that I can get back to crocheting.

made my #4 snowflake ahead of schedule...was just so excited I couldn't help myself! Especially after I found links on SnowCatcher's blog to the chainless dc and invisible finish. WOW! Even I can't tell where the rounds begin and end or where the last stitch is! Been crocheting since umm...1975 or so and still learning new things- yay!

Wow... It's addicting, isn't it? :hook

Just wanted to share that on Jan 14, 2012 after 104 days we were finally able to bring our baby girl home. She is doing great. Now to get into a routine so that I can get back to crocheting.

All the best for you and your baby! :manyheart

here's a link to my facebook page picture I took of my first 4 snowflakes, all found on snowcatcher's blog...actually I made the rose one too, but I'm not counting that one for here...not sure why, but i'm just not!

here's what I did with the rose one for my mom...still not counting it though!!!

jrnylst,

Thank you for the pointer on beading snowflakes. I was looking everywhere for a good beaded pattern. I am going to try it this weekend! Your Grays Peak snowflake is just beautiful. I love all your patterns!

Here's my number 3. The pattern came from http://crochet.about.com/od/hats/a/snowflake-cloche-hat-free-crochet-pattern.htm

I LOVE that pattern! I took a closeup of my Grays Peak with beads when I got my camera back just so I could show you places where you can stick beads with no advanced planning.

Yeehaw! The sidebar links actually got visited TWO times so far this year!!! (I don't think most readers bother to look at the sidebar, so I'm really excited when someone does notice, and your enthusiasm is so contagious!!!)

This is the absolute best news I've heard all year! I'm so happy for you! I'm so happy for your tiny girl!

post-31952-13589773048_thumb.jpg

jrnylst

Thank you so much!!!I am tyring this one this weekend.

CaraLouise

Those are just gorgeous! I love coloring on the rose snowflake.

dedee1ca

Congratulations!!!! :cheer I know it had to be hard to go home each night leaving her behind. It has got to feel good to know that she is home and safe with the family.

Anxious to try this out. I have been following off/on for the past couple years. I am very technically challenged. So I am trying to figure out just how this all works. I love making snowflakes. I have made almost all of the snowflakes from Snowcatcher's site, her talent is nothing short of amazing and all of the snowflakes from the previous years CALS. I just want to say thank you to everyone for sharing your patterns and pictures. I enjoy seeing everyone's pics. It may take me awhile to figure out how to post pictures, I may need some help from my children.

My current project is Valentines snowmobiles using all the snowflakes with hearts in them and other heart patterns. I just could not pack away all my snowflakes after taking down the Christmas tree, it is still winter here after all.

Love the bead idea. I have never tried that...no wait- I did try to crochet with beads once and was frustrated. I had trouble threading them on, tiny hole, needed a tiny needle, which the crochet thread didn't fit through...finally just gave up. I may have to give it another chance with some beads that actually have a large enough hole to get a needle through WITH the crochet thread this time.

I wish to join! I made my first and only couple of snowflakes for the stocking swap last year. I have just realized I had a pretty white cotton thread with a silver strand through it waiting to be used.

Love the bead idea. I have never tried that...no wait- I did try to crochet with beads once and was frustrated. I had trouble threading them on, tiny hole, needed a tiny needle, which the crochet thread didn't fit through...finally just gave up. I may have to give it another chance with some beads that actually have a large enough hole to get a needle through WITH the crochet thread this time.

Don't you just hate when you get to that one or two or three stubborn beads that just won't let a needle through them, no matter what you do?!? Can't tell you how many glass seed beads I've burst because I forced the needle... :)

I wish to join! I made my first and only couple of snowflakes for the stocking swap last year. I have just realized I had a pretty white cotton thread with a silver strand through it waiting to be used.

Welcome! Can't wait to see what you do with your thread that sounds perfect for snowflakes. Please share photos! We'd love to see!

worked up my number 5 snowflake after I ate lunch after coming home from my part-time job. I feel like I have been hit by both a truck and a bus going in opposite directions today...yeah- one of 'those' days. But crocheting always makes me feel better- maybe because I have to concentrate on something besides myself! I have various pink shades of thread in my stash, so I thought I would make SnowCatcher's 'Be Still My Heart'. It worked up so quick (blink!) I had to find another snowflake with a heart design to quench my crochet thirst and chose 'Century' for number 6. The designs are just terrific, but I have never made snowflakes in any color besides white so I keep looking at these not sure if I like them yet! I bet after blocking and starching they will start to grow on me. I will post link to pictures when I finish that.

update...made number 7 after dinner...'Cold Heart'...and another of number 5 since it was so easy-guess I really needed my crochet fix today!

I'm not so fast with snowflakes this year.... :D

BUT today I met with my aunt who was my Pattern Tester :lol Well, in fact she was jrnlyst's pattern tester.... My Loving-Snowflakes-Aunts don't know English at all so I drew a charted pattern for Century Six Point Snowflake and she checked if it is clear. She showed me completed snowflake and it was beautiful! She was very happy she could make it :cheer

wanted to share how I starch my snowflakes...after trying umpteen different methods this is my favorite...and it's cheap besides!

Simmer a tablespoon of cornstarch in 1/2 cup of water until it becomes transparent, stirring very frequently.

That's it!

I do NOT recommend microwaving this- too much of a chance to boil over in there.

Do be careful. It is very hot.

It can be kept in the fridge between uses, but it is so easy to make up that I don't bother.

I dump my snowflakes in the starch while it is still quite hot and use a spoon to squish them all around. Give them a bit of a squeeze, you want them thoroughly wet with the starch but not gloppy. Then pin to your blocking board. If there seems to be too much starch in the little nooks and crannies I just use a good paper towel to dab the extra away.

Do let dry completely before unpinning.

What's also nice is this works as a refresher to any other method you have tried that hasn't worked quite how you wanted...I just smooth some on with my fingers and let it dry.

Made up snowflake number 8 with a heart theme again.

from SnowCatcher again- Cupid...just love your designs Deborah!

Stiffened the last bunch up- here are links to my facebook craft page pictures-

all 4 recently made plus some little hearts-

closeup of Century-

and a closeup of Cupid-

dedee1ca

Congratulations!!!! :cheer I know it had to be hard to go home each night leaving her behind. It has got to feel good to know that she is home and safe with the family.

The wonderful thing about the hospital she was at had an area where nurses used to stay and it was no longer being used by them so they turned it into boarding rooms where moms who had babies in the NICU could sleep, eat, shower and connect with other moms. I spent almost as much time at the hospital as she did and my family was so understanding. Our little Sophie was a surprise so my children are much older and were great about it. I met some amazing moms going through the same things as me and we all became pretty good friends.

wanted to share how I starch my snowflakes...after trying umpteen different methods this is my favorite...and it's cheap besides!

Thanks for sharing your recipe! It's good to get this info out so people know there are options to glue. Your snowflakes are beautiful, too! I love how the glitter sparkles in the photos!

Archived