Any Afghan CAL

nicolep

It's the last day of vacation for me. I've been off since 12/22. :eek I'm going to get some quality time in with the granny stripe. Hopefully I'll get a good amount of work done on it while watching the Winter Classic today. I hope everyone has a great day!

I was inspired! I got some of the squares put together! unfortunately I don't really like the join method I used :sigh But I kept going and I think it's going to look ok. Pictures maybe tomorrow.

What joining method are you using for the afghan? That's the problem I have with the Pam's Comfort Cables afghan. I've had the squares done for months, but I sincerely dislike the joining method. I've gotten far enough into it that I frogging it would be a huge project in and of itself. Once I get the granny stripe done, I'm going to tackle that one.

Count me in!

I have a Hexagon Granny I started several months ago for myself that I need to finish. In fact, I pulled it out of the closet over the weekend because I am in the gotta-finish-something mood, but discovered I need more yarn of a certain color. I'm gonna grab some this week and get busy on those squares. :hook

I'll share a pic later.

:hi Welcome! I'm looking forward to seeing pictures. :D

Just why do you think I've been working on it for two years now??? :lol (well other than that overwhelming urge to start new projects)

Slow, slow knitter here. I've learned so much from working on it though. Before I started it, I knew how to knit and purl, (just barely), and now I can do two color patterns, all sorts of cables, knit from a chart, and even knit lace.

:lol Maybe one of these days...if only it could be a little bit quicker. :blush

Count me in!! I have an RR that I started for myself almost 2 years ago, it's in a box (since we moved in March) and it's still there. I do need to get it out and finish it!! I also have a baby RR to make for my GS's silent auction at his school, needs to be done this month.

Welcome! You can do it!!!! :cheer

Count me in too! I'm just starting to work on the edge of the "Courtship" afghan from the "50 Sensational..." book - the point where my progress usually slows down to a crawl. Hopefully this will encourage me to keep going and get it done.

:hi We'll be here to keep you going. :yes

Sounds like alot of us are in the same boat!!! This was a great idea Nicole!!!

I'm so glad! :D I wanted some company while working on these afghans, but didn't want to pigeonhole anyone into one specific partern. Thus, the any afghan idea was born. It was a brief moment of clarity and a rare smart thought for me. :lol

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I want to join :) I have two for my girls that I started last year and put on hold to work on Christmas things. I have two that I need to make for weddings and one for Christmas next year. I love the finished products of afghans, but I do dread the plodding through them, lol.

Nicole- Winter Classic is pushed back to 3PM EST--just in case you didn't already know--something about wanting to make sure the ice was ok---well, it was warm yesterday--but today-- not so much! It's Cold out there! (and Philly is only about 50 minutes or so from where I live in NJ.

As much as I don't like the Rangers, since my son-in-law and his brothers and dad are huge Rangers fans I'll root for them today ---and also because I don't like the Flyers even more!

Well, I just saw this thread and I may as well join :shrug:lol

I am currently working on a graph ghan that I should finish this week. Then I'm thinking of making one for a bridal shower gift in March :think And I have 2 in progress, one for about 2 years and the other for about a year....they both just keep getting pushed aside a buried :blush:shrug

I'm in! I have a baby afghan started (back in Nov) and a queen-sized afghan started (in Dec). I also have kits for 2 others and the yarn ready for a third...lol. :lol

Wooo Hoooo Nicole:

I was reading up on another cal for round ripple that another person started in 2009 and i even pm'd her today to see if she would start another cal for the RR's but since i dont know if she will or not, Please do count me in for this CAL

I've been dying to make a Round ripple for ever and well i want it to be made of magic yarn balls so it comes out scrappy and crazy looking..

Mine will be done with 2 strands as i will be adding black too..

I will get my pattern out and start on it later tonight...

Will be posting progress as i go along...

Thaks for this CAL

hugs to all

Lillibet

I need a crochet goal for 2012 and this seems just the thing. I'm about half through one afghan and have put all other WIPs out of sight until I finish this one. I have so many WIP afghans that I will be with you all year on this!

Moomoo I am making one like this now, using the black really makes the colors pop. and it is colorful. I have used up aprox. 14 balls of scrap yarn all a mix of colors and textures. it is crazy but i love it.

I joined the christmas cal, but on my list have 2 blanket and actually thought of 2 more i have to do so I might just hang here also to get them done.

I grabbed a skein of the color I needed today so I'm going to get back to work on my hexagon grannies this evening for my afghan. Y'all have me motivated now. I'm ready to get busy on this baby. :hook

Here's a sneak peek at the colors I'm using. I chose colors that are complementary to my living room furniture.

post-48481-135897723401_thumb.jpg

Moomoo I am making one like this now, using the black really makes the colors pop. and it is colorful. I have used up aprox. 14 balls of scrap yarn all a mix of colors and textures. it is crazy but i love it.

I joined the christmas cal, but on my list have 2 blanket and actually thought of 2 more i have to do so I might just hang here also to get them done.

:cheer Hurray! Welcome! I bet a magic ball RR would be gorgeous. I can't wait to see your's and moomoo's.

I grabbed a skein of the color I needed today so I'm going to get back to work on my hexagon grannies this evening for my afghan. Y'all have me motivated now. I'm ready to get busy on this baby. :hook

Here's a sneak peek at the colors I'm using. I chose colors that are complementary to my living room furniture.

Welcome! The colors are great. That's beautiful so far. :yes

I've started the simply spiral... BUT I think I'm doing something wrong on the increase rows (7-12). I do like the way it is worked and only a few stitches on your hook at any time.

Any advice from anyone else who has done or is doing this afghan?

post-18684-135897723406_thumb.jpg

:cheer Hurray! Welcome! I bet a magic ball RR would be gorgeous. I can't wait to see your's and moomoo's.

Thanks!

A magic ball RR....now THAT sound interesting!!! And fun! :yes

I've started the simply spiral... BUT I think I'm doing something wrong on the increase rows (7-12). I do like the way it is worked and only a few stitches on your hook at any time.

[ATTACH]49634[/ATTACH]

I haven't made that and don't have the pattern. Although I do want to try one eventually. Another afghan to add to my list. :lol I have a lot of Tunisian experience though and it looks good to me. What do you think is wrong?

Maybe just a lack of experience. I'm working it kinda loose so I can judge what it is I'm doing in the first place. I'll continue on for another round and see if I can get it to look a little nicer.

I love the colors and the pattern you chose for them :manyheart I can't wait to see the finished product.

[ATTACH]49634[/ATTACH]

I've never made this afghan, but my initial intake is that doing a little more for practice will help for it to be consistent and secondly that a solid color might show the pattern better :think I always have that problem with textured patterns, because I prefer the vareigated yarns :blush

With time, you'll get more consistent and it will look more uniform. Just like in regular crochet, it took time to get it all to look good, right? Also, on the end stitch, I always work between two vertical bars regardless of which stitch I'm using. That makes a nice uniform edge on both sides. Your sides look good so you might be doing that already.

You all would be proud of me. I'm working on my granny stripe now. :P

Love those colors!!!

You all would be proud of me. I'm working on my granny stripe now. :P

:cheer:clap:cheer I was going to do a large granny--and then as I was looking through my stash, I came upon Charisma bulky wt yarn that I had bought about 2 mos ago on a great sale- with the intention to make a quick RR--so that's what I started tonight!

I'm going to join this cal, too. I have three in progress and at least four more in plamming stages.:lol

I know from your stash busting score you have enough yarn to make them too! :rofl Strange to see your score at 0 though...

:turtle:vheart

I'm going to join this cal, too. I have three in progress and at least four more in plamming stages.:lol

Wow! You and this CAL sound like a perfect fit. :yes Welcome!!!

Love those colors!!!

:cheer:clap:cheer I was going to do a large granny--and then as I was looking through my stash, I came upon Charisma bulky wt yarn that I had bought about 2 mos ago on a great sale- with the intention to make a quick RR--so that's what I started tonight!

I bet that would look good as a RR. Let me know how you like working with that yarn. I've considered trying, but just haven't done so yet.

Any tips or recommendations on joining methods for the squares??

The joining method I use depends largely on the type of square. What's the square that you're making? There are a lot of options! :yay

Any tips or recommendations on joining methods for the squares??

I find that I enjoy a simple whipstitch, but there are many ways :yes

Love those colors!!!

:yay so what color is that Charisma????

I am making my squares for the first wedding afghan in an assembly line style. Right now I am working all of the center ovals and weaving in the ends. Then I'll work another part of the pattern on each oval etc. It doesn't feel as "big" that way, lol.

So, I have one full square done (my practice square) and 10 center ovals. I need 25 more ovals before I can move onto the next part of the pattern. :)

Tiffer, I have really wanted to try that pattern out, I can't wait to see how your finished afghan turns out.

Archived