help with hat

Daffodill

Question

I'm pretty new to crochet and am trying to work my way through my first hat pattern (all i've done so far is flowers). I get almost all the way through and then realize that my hats are flatter than they should be. When I sc or dhc in the round, should I be stitching through only the top loop of the previous round's stitches or through two loops? I've been doing only the top loop and was wondering if that could be the problem.

5 answers to this question

Can you post a photo of a hat in question? It is easier to help if we have a visual of the problem.

Crocheting in both top loops would make a firmer stitch, not a longer one, which I assume is your question as your hats are too short. It's possible that you crochet tightly, which would affect the height of the stitch. You could try going up a hook size, or drawing the stitch "up" a bit (crocheting looser).

I'm using the Ruth pattern from the book Easy to Crochet Cute Kids Clothes. My "hats" turn out more like disks or a slightly rounded bowl. I've tried 2 different hook sizes but all I come out with is different sized disks! It's pretty hilarious, actually.

@OP if you don't like the flatness of your hats you can change this by using fewer stitches than the "Standard Circle Pattern" would call for.

Generally SCP has you start with 6 SC or 8HDC or 10(or 12)DC. this (and the ensuing rows) will make a flat circle.

if you start with only 4 SC or 6HDC or 8DC you will get a more pointed or less flat look for your hats.

@ the Springy bunch. I'm so with y'all :clap

Archived